Hearing Aids and Headsets

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: Hearing Aids and Headsets

Post by MrMorden »

As for sound, it a logarithmic scale, so IIRC every 3db is roughly a doubling, so 89db is about twice the volume of 86db.

The funny thing about hearing loss is that it is not typically predictable. Some people can fire a gun once and suffer damage, others can shoot all their lives, drive monster trucks, and work the Delta jet line for 20 years without protection and suffer little or no damage. Since we never know which category we fall into until it's too late, we should all aggressively protect our hearing (wish somebody had told me this when I was 15 or so).

In my case, I'm in the middle somewhere. Given the loud noises I have endured without protection (shooting, drag racing, etc), my hearing *should* be much worse than it is. But I really only have problems in environments with lost of ambient noise, for which I'm thankful. But I realize it's only going to get worse, so I spend the money to buy a great aviation headset (Lightspeed Zulu) and avoid live music concerts and other damaging venues.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

I shot small bore competition all through H.S. and college. Nobody had ear protection.

Got my license in 1965 and flew small GA for 9 years before I knew I had a problem. I don't recall anyone with headsets in GA in those days.

Starting in 1968 I flew Hueys for my uncle for 10 years. We had helmets but they were more for head protection than hearing protection. We tried ear plugs under the helmet during my last several years but they tended to sweat their way out on any warm day. Had some hearing aid molds made, without the aids, and they stayed in pretty good.

Spent many days with various weapons on ranges while in the Army. Nobody used hearing protection.

During all of this I started to notice I would have a ringing in my ears after a noisy session. But it always went away. After all, I was invincible.

Then, in 1974 I flew my first plane, a C-170, from Minnesota home to Alaska. Paid $5400.00 for the plane. (the good old days) Long days, no hearing protection. That's when I noticed the ringing never went away. I was 30 years old and my hearing was permanently damaged.

That's when I became a fanatic about seeking out the best protection available. I preach this to any pilot that will listen. The other day I gave a Flight Review to a kid (OK, he was 35, not a kid) who did not use an ANR headset in his 182. I'm hoping I shamed him into taking that step.

Protect your hearing. Early and often.
John Horn
Independence Airpark (7S5), OR
CFII, LSRM-A
Rotax Service, Maint, and Heavy Maint. trained
Flying a CTSW, building an RV-12
designrs

Post by designrs »

Well said John!
drseti

Post by drseti »

sandpiper wrote:Starting in 1968 I flew Hueys for my uncle for 10 years.
Ten Years?!? Damn, John, you were slow to catch on. (I got out after only four...)
After all, I was invincible.
I know exactly what you mean. At 23, I was immortal and invulnerable. Only years later did I stop and ask myself, "WTF were you thinking?"
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

One thing, gang -- don't ignore that ringing in the ears, get a CT scan. My best friend had tinnitus for years, and wrote it off to flying helicopters in the early days without hearing protection. Four years ago he was diagnosed with an inoperative brain tumor, just days after his 70th birthday, and died within a couple of months. Don't accept a diagnosis of tinnitus without delving deeper.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

sandpiper wrote:. . . "Starting in 1968 I flew Hueys for my uncle for 10 years." . . .
Del Smith (Evergreen)?
I worked for him in '71 (UH-1H).
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

drseti wrote:
sandpiper wrote:Starting in 1968 I flew Hueys for my uncle for 10 years.
Ten Years?!? Damn, John, you were slow to catch on. (I got out after only four...)

Actually I caught on pretty quick. My contract was for 3 years total and then I got out. Then flew for the Guard in Anchorage for 7 more years. Any resemblance between the Guard then vs. today is in name only. We had a full contingent of UH-1H slicks and UH-1M gunships but chances of being deployed in the '70's was slim.

They could have had me for longer than three but then they insulted me with an offer of an OH-6 IP transition enroute. If they had offered Cobras or Chinooks they may have convinced me. But, then, I may not be sitting here today.

Some good times looking back. I have the greatest respect for our service women/men and for our veterans.
John Horn
CFII, LSRM-A
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

Wm.Ince wrote:
sandpiper wrote:. . . "Starting in 1968 I flew Hueys for my uncle for 10 years." . . .
Del Smith (Evergreen)?
I worked for him in '71 (UH-1H).
Don't know Del but have heard the name(?)

Was awhile ago. I realized just how long a couple of months ago when several of us flew up to Boeing Field to tour the museum. They have a nice example of a UH-1H which is nothing unusual. Then I realized that exact Huey was assigned to my Guard unit in Anchorage and I had flown it. Made me feel old.

Rucker - Class 69-24.
John Horn
CFII, LSRM-A
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

sandpiper wrote:Rucker - Class 69-24.
Mother Rucker - 69-5. Tan hats. . . . :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

Wm.Ince wrote:
sandpiper wrote:Rucker - Class 69-24.
Mother Rucker - 69-5. Tan hats. . . . :D
Ours were purple, I think. But, what would you expect from the memory of a RLO to whom flight school, on per diem no less, was a party. As opposed to WOC's who had to be proficient at duck walking as well as flying. :o
John Horn
CFII, LSRM-A
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

sandpiper wrote:. . . "what would you expect from the memory of a RLO to whom flight school, on per diem no less, was a party. As opposed to WOC's who had to be proficient at duck walking as well as flying." . . . :o
Quack! Quack! . . . :D
Bill Ince
LSRI