Hearing Aids and Headsets

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Dennis

Hearing Aids and Headsets

Post by Dennis »

Hello Group,

I'm going to be fitted for hearing aids. I don't need them when I'm flying as intercom and radio volume is high enough and I don't have any trouble with understanding speech. But I'd like to wear them while flying so I don't have to take them off and later put them on again.

I'm wondering if over-the-ear aids allow headsets to form a tight seal? My LightSpeed headset fits my ear very closely.

Comments welcome.

Dennis Skycatcher N900DP
Horatio

Re: Hearing Aids and Headsets

Post by Horatio »

Your dispenser should have demonstrator hearing aids available for evaluation, so you can do a test fit. Take your headset with you. Other than possible discomfort from squeezing the aids against your ear cartilage, feedback (squealing) would be a concern. Over the ear aids come in different sizes, so you should be able to find something suitable.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
designrs

Post by designrs »

Another option, a bit more extensive. Some high-end hearing aids, such as those from Siemens) have a input device on a lanyard that will accept a line-in or Bluetooth audio adapter (from your aircraft audio) while muting the internal microphones in the hearing aids themselves. Combine that with something like the Stratus Telex 50 ANR headset for maximum noise reduction and use it for your aircraft mic out (but not audio in).

This removes as much background noise as possible while allowing your aircraft audio to be custom adapted to your hearing program according to your needs.
Last edited by designrs on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

If you want to do the audio headset over the active hearing aid (noise reduction is going to be a big issue) check out headset upgrade parts from Oregon Aero. They make excellent replacement ear cups that are deeper which will better accommodate hearing aids without pressure.

http://www.oregonaero.com/component/ecw ... ort=normal

Again, I believe the Telex Stratus 50 provides maximum noise reduction.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I took my LightSpeed headset to my first trial fitting. It has very close fitting, ear-shaped ear cups. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the hearing aid (Resound Linx) in no way interfered with the headset. My audiologist is conversant with aids used with passive and active noise reduction so I'm confident I will be comfortable with the aids while flying. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the advice.

Dennis Skycatcher N900DP
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Your hearing's already shot, why bother with a headset? :lol:

I'm headed in that direction myself, BTW...too much time spent with loud toys and not enough brains to cover the ears.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

MrMorden wrote:Your hearing's already shot, why bother with a headset? :lol:

I'm headed in that direction myself, BTW...too much time spent with loud toys and not enough brains to cover the ears.
Believe it or not, continued (unprotected) exposure causes more damage, but everyone's susceptibility is unique. I've seen textile workers with normal hearing after 20+ years in the weave room. I've also seen permanent severe damage from a single exposure. YMMV.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Horatio wrote:

Believe it or not, continued (unprotected) exposure causes more damage, but everyone's susceptibility is unique. I've seen textile workers with normal hearing after 20+ years in the weave room. I've also seen permanent severe damage from a single exposure. YMMV.
Yup, I was just kidding. :)

I'm very protective of my hearing now, I'm hoping it will hold out, but I have trouble in environments with a lot of background noise like crowded restaurants and bars.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
designrs

Post by designrs »

85+ db for extended periods of time will gradually reduce your hearing.
Most power tools are between 90 and 115 db.

Extremely loud sounds like a gunshot 160 db,
or a jet engine at 140 db will cause permanent damage IMMEDIATELY!

Also interesting that the perception of db is exponential.
A small gun like a 22 is 159 db… a big gun like a 50 caliber Desert Eagle is 161 db…
but the difference of the impact of the sound is huge!

Realize that no matter how much protection you put over your ears nothing can protect you from the sound waves that hit your skull and travel through the bones in your body.

Noise reduction is not what it says on the package.
It's quite less… I can't find the exact calculation now but roughly...
-30 db acoustical is about -20 db
-30 db acoustical + -20 electronic ANR is about -27 db total reduction.

Inside a Cessna 172 is 86 db. (Worst case, time weighted average.)
http://www.businessaircraftcenter.com/a ... rt0312.htm

Rotax should be quieter… and we are wearing hearing protection with the headsets.
So we should be below the 85 db limit.

Now… how loud is it when you crank the volume on the headset???
:shock:
Last edited by designrs on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Going with my dad to the movies, he would complain everyone in the movie was mumbling.

I thought that was silly. They were not mumbling.

BTW, has anyone noticed that more recently, actors really HAVE started mumbling? :?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
designrs

Post by designrs »

FastEddieB wrote:Going with my dad to the movies, he would complain everyone in the movie was mumbling.

I thought that was silly. They were not mumbling.

BTW, has anyone noticed that more recently, actors really HAVE started mumbling? :?
Robert Redford mumbles… and in the movie All Is Lost he never said a single word!
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

designrs wrote:
Rotax should be quieter… and we are wearing hearing protection with the headsets.

WHAT???

In any case, just the other day another pilot commented on how quiet my Sky Arrow is. His first time with a ROTAX, and I think having the engine and prop "out back" help as well.

But all those years in Cessna 150's without headsets have clearly taken their toll.

I SAID...ALL THOSE YEARS IN CESSNA 150'S WITHOUT HEADSETS HAVE CLEARLY TAKEN THEIR TOLL!

(Sorry about the mumbling) :wink:
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
designrs

Post by designrs »

Yep… noise abatement… yawnnn.
Our Rotax is just about the quietest airplane in the airport.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Lots of heavy metal at a young age. And I'm not talkin' about airplanes! . . . :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

designrs wrote:
Inside a Cessna 172 is 86 db. (Worst case, time weighted average.)
http://www.businessaircraftcenter.com/a ... rt0312.htm

My Luscombe hits 100 dB, but that's measured with my iPhone app, not a $5k sound level meter.

Most of the damaging noise is below 250 Hz. That's where the ANR is typically most effective. You would need a probe mic to measure SPL in the earcups. Sounds like a good research project! Now if only the headset makers would donate samples for testing! :mrgreen:
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A