iPad Mini vs 696

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Re: iPad Mini vs 696

Post by designrs »

I love the iPad with ForeFlight as primary over my 696. For all the reasons Jack mentioned:

1) Flight Planning & Familiarity… anywhere. Use it at home, in the restaurant, in bed, whatever… Then when you are in the cockpit you know exactly where to find the information…. ALL of it!
2) Detailed Charts. Zoom in all you want to read those little numbers. What is ground level here? How tall is that tower? What is the minimum safe altitude for this sector? Try getting that information quickly off your 696!
3) User Interface. You just can't beat it… unless you are in turbulence and you really need to press buttons. You also can't beat just bring able to modify your flight plan by dragging your finger.
4) My 696 is backup GPS… to verify that I am where I need to be. Direct-to wherever. Maybe a nearest button. The occasional flip of the terrain function. TIS traffic.
5) Cost & Convienience. My iPad updates charts on ForeFlight very easily… it's easily done over morning coffee or whatever. How and where am I supposed to plug in my Garmin to update again? I'm not about to pay what Garmin charges for chart updates and XM service.
6) Ability to call up other apps. E6B app for calculation. Checklist App. My Radar app. Logbook app. etc. Switch and choose whatever apps you want at any time.

** Biggest detriment of the iPad is that it will shut down if it overheats (if the sun is directly on it). So it is really nice to have your backup GPS running. Although I think with careful handling and the proper setup the iPad can be used continuously.

*** Don't forget. The third GPS device providing backup could be another iPad or even your iPhone in a pinch.

**** Get a good RAM mount. You don't want to be "head down" with the iPad in your lap.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Does anybody know if the iPad can tolerate sustained direct sun without overheating if a vent is directed at the iPad to cool it from the back?
I will know soon enough. My new RAM mount is in direct line with a vent.
designrs

Post by designrs »

To be fair. Pros for Garmin 696: Built-In integrated solution with Dynon. Audio call-outs for terrain, traffic, obstacle, etc. Super bright glare resistant screen.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

CTLSi wrote: The real difference between an iPad and the Garmin Aeras is purpose-built capability that includes a stunning anti-glare screen, dedicated function keys for aviation use. The iPad has screen glare, lacks a dedicate direct to button and is too large in the cockpit, especially if not panel mounted.
The iPad also has a 9.5" screen at 2048 x 1536 resolution, compared to the 796 with 7" at 800x480. It costs 1/3-1/2 of a 796, and you can do much more with it.

All screens have glare. Fly a 796 under a bubble canopy with the sun at 6 o'clock high in bright sunlight, and I guarantee you won't be able to read it. The iPad *is* more susceptible to glare because of the screen coating, but in a year and a half flying my CT I have not yet encountered a lighting condition that rendered the iPad unreadable.

If the 796 works for you and you like it, that's great. But there is nothing wrong with using an iPad instead, and there are some distinct advantages. In the end we all choose a device that has the combination of features and price that appeals to our individual tastes, there is no "right" answer. I have both a 496 and an iPad. Both are *fine* devices, but each has advantages. I can't (yet) drive an autopilot from an iPad. The 496 does not have an easy to use interface. I prefer the iPad, but that doesn't mean somebody who would choose the 496 instead is making a mistake. Preference is subjective.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

All screens have glare. Fly a 796 under a bubble canopy with the sun at 6 o'clock high in bright sunlight, and I guarantee you won't be able to read it. The iPad *is* more susceptible to glare because of the screen coating, but in a year and a half flying my CT I have not yet encountered a lighting condition that rendered the iPad unreadable.
Going to have to disagree. I have my 795 panel mounted in an Air Gizmo in my bubble canopy plane and have never had a glare issue.

Also, i would say the the usability of the 79x is about the same as the Garmin Pilot App since the share the same UI.

That being said, tablets with an EFB and the Garmin 79x are both very good devices with more functionality than most of us can use. There isn't a wrong choice -- just a different preference -- and most of us combine the two options and get the best of both.
dave
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

There you go. Different opinions.

The 79X has a better interface than the 696.
The checklist function is also nice.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

I have an Android Nexus with Pilot installed. I also have a GDL39 for weather (and traffic). I prefer the panel mounted 696.
Dave
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

SportPilot wrote:I use an Android tablet and prefer it as primary navigation, weather, and traffic to a panel mount. Depending on what apps you're using, a tablet may very well be more capable than a panel mount. It's a matter of preference. Nobody cares how many hours someone has used one or the other and nobody cares how much money someone has spent.
You are correct . . ."It's a matter of preference."
Two things that have really impressed me, since I started using my iPad for flying . . . the relative cheap cost, as compared to other panel mounted units and the ease and timeliness of upgrades, both firmware and databases.

Now if they could just engineer engine management and autopilot functionality, that would a tremendous leap for tablets.
The technology is moving so fast, it seems as though nothing is out of the question anymore.
As soon as you install a panel mounted unit in an airplane, it is obsolete. Panel mounted units are expensive and have their limits too.

Over the last few years, airline pilots have been issued iPads or Surface devices for inflight use. If it is good enough (safe) for them, it is certainly good enough for the rest of us.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
designrs

Post by designrs »

Re: engine mount and auto pilot on the iPad...
Just wait. I get we see experimental builders with "iPad Only" panels very soon!
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

This thread started out comparing the utility of an iPad to a 696. To the best of my knowledge, the 696 doesn't browse the web, do email, or serve as an e-reader. :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

designrs wrote:Re: engine mount and auto pilot on the iPad...
Just wait. I get we see experimental builders with "iPad Only" panels very soon!
All this really requires is a "dongle" that attaches to the autopilot or engine sensors, with a Bluetooth or Wireless transceiver to talk to the the iPad/Android device. I'm not an engineer, but it's easy to envision how this would work. It will happen; I'm surprised it has taken this long, frankly.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

MrMorden wrote:
designrs wrote:Re: engine mount and auto pilot on the iPad...
All this really requires is a "dongle" that attaches to the autopilot or engine sensors, with a Bluetooth or Wireless transceiver to talk to the the iPad/Android device. I'm not an engineer, but it's easy to envision how this would work. It will happen; I'm surprised it has taken this long, frankly.
Engineering-wise this is a piece of cake. Not so sure marketing-wise. I don't see the incentive for Dynon or Garmin who will want to sell you their EFIS'. Maybe Trutrak since they are now out of the EFIS business.

I would have some concern on reliability when driving an AP with a general purpose device but if we're all VFR, LSA drivers then probably not a big deal.
dave