SkyView vs. Garmin G3x

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

designrs

SkyView vs. Garmin G3x

Post by designrs »

Knowledgable comparisons?
CTLSi

Re: SkyView vs. Garmin G3x

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

designrs wrote:Knowledgable comparisons?
There is a pretty in-depth comparison article in this month's "Kitplanes" magazine, you should get a copy.

It looks like Garmin is "more" wedded to the touchscreens, as the G3X Touch does not retain full buttons & knobs of the original G3X that would work completely well without the screen controls. The Skyview is fully redundant on controls with all the same buttons and knobs as the non-touch version. Kitplanes liked them both.
Last edited by MrMorden on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

My preference is driven by my particular mission (training). Since Dynon came out with the new software upgrade, Skyview wins for me, hands down. You can now display a six-pack on glass! This makes training for students who are going to fly round gauges a no-brainer, and transitioning to glass becomes a piece of cake.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

I have flown the Garmin G3x, the G3X Touch and the Dynon Skyview Touch.

I really like Garmin. I liked the G3x that I flew in the Skycatcher and the Tecnam P2008. The only thing I would have improved was a way to combine them into a bigger instrument, or side by side. That said, Garmin comes out with the G3xTouch! Such is the rapid pace of avionics technology.

I flew a demo flight in an airplane with dual G3X Touch along with the 'matching' Garmin a/p panel. I have to say it's very good, and I like the option of the second screen, as long as it's independent of the the other screen, electrically and using a second ADHRs. Otherwise, it's an extravagant option.
The G3X Touch I flew had the VFR sectionals option and it was cool to have the second screen selected to that on a full screen, to back up the primary display's 'Garmin charts'.
The Garmin Touch is almost exclusively 'touch' with just a couple of 'high use' buttons. The method of 'touch' is slightly different than the Skyview but the difference, to me, is minimal.
Garmin tends to produce a menu from each touch and a qwerty keyboard to input numbers. Skyview is easier to use and also has the keyboard.

The Dynon Skyview Touch (which I have in my RV-12 SLSA ) is the regular Skyview with a touch screen, which means all the regular buttons and bezels as well as being able to do the same by touching the screen. With all the appropriate modules installed you can have a/p, transponder and radios controlled all on the touch screen. You can also get a separate a/p control panel, and a knob panel which has knobs for airspeed, baro, and heading. I opted for these and find I use them a lot.
I don't have synthetic vision, it has no use for me personally. The six-pack display is selectable and kind of a cool option, especially in the pattern. Pilots coming from 'traditional analogue displays would like it, although personally I've found I'm more used to the vertical tape displays having flown EFIS now for many years.

Both Garmin and Dynon screens can be split to show attitude/airspeed/ altitude in the tapes mode, engine indications, and mapping (the Dynon version, although I subscribe to Seattle Avionics VFR Charts too). You can display all 3 modes, 2 modes or full screen on one selected mode. You can change where they are, left, center, right .
One thing I don't like on the Dynon is that it also has the direct, nearest etc markings on the map screen which blocks an already nearly cluttered screen. You can opt to declutter depending on your preferences.

I have ADSB-IN/OUT on my Skyview so airborne I can select info for every airport. Choose Info and then type in the airport e.g.. KCLT and you get ALL the info you need…runways, frees, pattern alt, elevation, runways, a geo-referenced airport chart, wx, meters, winds aloft etc. Amazing really. Nearest button gives you nearest airport (which you can tailer to exclude strips below a certain length, grass stops etc), nearest ATC etc.
Choose transponder and the screen gives you options for the code to enter, VFR code, ident etc. I chose a separate radio, the GTR 200 and I change frees on it but you could do it on the screen with the right module.
Weather, terrain and traffic are all displayed on screen with other info regarding vector trends, climb/descent forecasts etc.

Dynon have just come out with an OS update which provides options to further enhance the display. I've not yet updated that.

There is a wealth of info on the screen and in a way it's almost too much although as you grow into using it, you find that you can absorb the new info in a meaningful way. It's more advanced than airliners were a few years ago. That said. we should remember we're, as sport pilots, truly VFR and should be looking out instead of relying on Skyview to warn of traffic, for example. But it really does help.
One feaure of Touch I like is where, for example Class B airspace is ahead. You can touch the ring and it'll display the altitude restrictions ( e.g. 4000'-6000') then tap again and the info goes away. You can also get info like this for airports, restricted airspace and MOAs for example. Touch an airport and all the info comes up. Touch a TFR area and it's parameters are displayed.

I'm still contemplating the best back up to Skyview, for ME, but it does provide a truly paperless cockpit.

As the software becomes out of date, a message appears on screen. When updates are out you can put the USB Dynon provides (or any other) and download them on your personal computer from the Dynon site. Then put the USB into a Skyview USB port and upload it .

Vans currently offers a single Skyview Touch but has said a dual display option will be available soon, followed by the dual Garmin G3xTouch option.
To me both systems are excellent. I have the Skyview Touch and think it's awesome, but that's because that's what I have. The demo flight I had with the Garmin was equally as good.

The main difference really is that Skyview has all the buttons of the non-touch version as well as the Touch screen, Garmin doesn't. In turbulence it is harder to select the right thing and your finger can easily miss what you want. Thus Dynon advertises the unit with buttons if turn makes touch screen too hard! Of course, with time, you learn how to rest your hand as you touch the screen, it becomes an art!

I personally can't say that one unit is better than the other. I have Skyview because that was what the choice was. If I had a choice It'd be hard to decide. I think the difference for me is that garmin is more menu driven and has less buttons so is more about the Touch screen as compared to the Skyview.

Both are awesome avionics!!
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Nomore767 wrote:I have flown the Garmin G3x, the G3X Touch and the Dynon Skyview Touch.

I really like Garmin. I liked the G3x that I flew in the Skycatcher and the Tecnam P2008. The only thing I would have improved was a way to combine them into a bigger instrument, or side by side. That said, Garmin comes out with the G3xTouch! Such is the rapid pace of avionics technology.
IIRC the 162 uses a G300, which is as far as I can tell the Skycatcher version of the G3X. Not sure if there is any substantive difference.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

MrMorden wrote:
Nomore767 wrote:I have flown the Garmin G3x, the G3X Touch and the Dynon Skyview Touch.

IIRC the 162 uses a G300, which is as far as I can tell the Skycatcher version of the G3X. Not sure if there is any substantive difference.
Andy, you're right! I meant to say the G300 in the Skycatcher (which is basically the G3X 'Lite' as designed for the Cessna) and the 'regular' G3X in the P2008.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Great information and dialog here guys. Thanks!
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Nomore767 wrote:
MrMorden wrote:

Andy, you're right! I meant to say the G300 in the Skycatcher (which is basically the G3X 'Lite' as designed for the Cessna) and the 'regular' G3X in the P2008.
Do you know what the G3X does that the G300 doesn't?
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Um….no!! :D

BTW…how do you insert pictures here?
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Nomore767 wrote:. . . "how do you insert pictures here?" . . .
If you scroll below the reply window, you will come to another window called "upload attachment."
After that, it is intuitive.
Post on! . . . :)
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

I've done that and the pic always has a text box saying like attached file viewed so many times etc…whereas other folks there's just the picture so I'm wondering what I'm missing here.
drseti

Post by drseti »

There is a limit to the size of the attachment. I don't know exactly what it is, but if you're having problems uploading a photo, try decreasing the resolution.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

I can do it as an attachment, and can vary the size by fiddling with the settings….but when it appears there's a box saying attachment and how many times it's viewed. I don't see this on other guys photos.

So are they 'inserting' the picture as opposed to 'attaching' it?
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Test picture….the picture is okay but I can see text saying it's an attached file etc whereas other pix don't have that.
Attachments
RV12.jpg
RV12.jpg (42.39 KiB) Viewed 11981 times