LSA Values Declining?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

snaproll

Re: LSA Values Declining?

Post by snaproll »

CTLSi wrote:The two are remarkably similar in shape and design. Both are all carbon fiber and high wing. One big difference is the Remos has wing struts due in part to how the wings fold-up. I have not flown a Remos, but have flown the CT and CTLSi. I had a hangar mate that had a Remos and from what we could tell, the two planes have far more in common than not.

I have also flown a Samba which is also all carbon fiber, but is a low wing, and flys totally differently.

Flight Design is also starting to make the CTLSi and soon the C4 in China and in the USA. Both companies are HQd in Germany. Both design and manage their operations from their German facilities. Flight Design also ships the CT thru Germany and ultimately placed in a sea container and loaded onto a ship in Bremen, Germany. I assume Remos does it the same way.
Remos probably ships from the same place. Often wondered if they didn't share some of the same engineers... Have flow a CT and own a Remos.. Both have similar handling characteristics also.. Thanks for the insight... Glad Flight design is setting up production elsewhere (before Putin blows the whole area up).
VR.. Don
designrs

Post by designrs »

Really very interesting. This thread was started about LSA Values in the face of the medical petition… the thread has drifted through several topics. Now discussing how much people love two particular models. Guess that's good news! :lol:
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

designrs wrote:Really very interesting. This thread was started about LSA Values in the face of the medical petition… the thread has drifted through several topics. Now discussing how much people love two particular models. Guess that's good news! :lol:
My apologies... First time I had posted a picture on the site and drifted off subject... As for the medical petition, I don't see anything happening soon, I do see the FAA castrating the EAA/AOPA petition down with excessive restrictions, and lowering the weight and HP limits to fly without a medical. Have dealt with the FAA for far too many years to expect less than they always seem to do... I think LSAs are here to stay and will always be an outstanding option for economical performance and training. I don't foresee any great decline in LSA values with the possible FAA decision - someday....
designrs

Post by designrs »

No apologies required for the the thread drift. It's been a good discussion.
It appears that SnapRoll's prediction above in regard to the medical petition both realistic and optimistic.
MrLupin

Post by MrLupin »

Snaproll, do you mean to say "increase" the weight and hp?
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

MrLupin wrote:Snaproll, do you mean to say "increase" the weight and hp?
I mean decrease from the proposed weight limit.. The proposal is for aircraft under 6,000 pounds - my guess the FAA will shave it to 3,000 pounds or less. Original discussions centered around a 180 HP limit also - not sure what the FAA position is. Best guess knowing the FAA is they will eventually approve the drivers license medical but will again have weight, HP, speed, and complexity restrictions. Don't hold your breath on the proposal - may be some time.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

My uneducated guess is they'd go with the AOPA/EAA proposal which was essentially the Recreational Pilot limitations -- 4 seats, 180hp, fixed gear and prop, 1 pax.
dave
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

CTLSi wrote:
Except as provided in paragraphs (d) and (i) of this section, a recreational pilot may NOT act as pilot in command of an aircraft—
(1) That is certificated— (this prevents use of Cessnas )
You stopped too soon. There is no period after the word "certificated", so certificated aircraft are not excluded. What is implied (though not explicitly stated) is "that is certificated as follows:"
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

See what you want to see, and hear what you want to hear. It doesn't matter what is right or wrong.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

CTLSi wrote:All predicated once again on the desperate notion that the FAA will work to make the sky's less safe by allowing guys with medical conditions to fly as Recreational Pilots now?

What would be the up side to that?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator