Opinions/experiences with the BRM Bristell

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Wm.Ince

Re: Opinions/experiences with the BRM Bristell

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:Calla has retired and moved to Florida. Barry, I have heard, is now pursuing other business interests in Texas.
When I was in the market for LSA, turn over of key personal was a warning flag to me.
That's just one of the things I was afraid of concerning Bristell. Too bad, because I love the aircraft.
The solvency of the company was extremely important to me. Nobody wants to be left high and dry with regard to parts and service support. If Bristell doesn't make it, don't expect much if you own one.
Not to jump to any conclusions, mind you, but IMHO, those two guys were always at the shows and their departure does speak well for Bristell in North America.
Whereas, for example, Vans and Flight Design are firmly established in the North American market, have sales and maintenance support already in place with a proven track record.
I hope it works out for Bristell, but I felt uncomfortable with the idea of being one of their first buyers. . . . 8)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Let me emphasize that I have no commercial affiliation with Bristell, and don't own one of their aircraft. However, I have had professional interactions with all four of the original Bristell USA team (Mancouso, Rathmell, Calla, and Pruitt) over the past five years. That said:

Calla's plan all along was to retire, once they got this enterprise up and running. So, no surprise there. He continues to help out at the Bristell booth at Sebring Expo, because it's local to his FL retirement location.

Pruitt was originally from Texas, worked for Evektor when their US importer was there, later worked for Mooney in Kerrville, and apparently wanted to return there. His relocation from PA was no surprise.

Mancouso is in this for the long haul. He runs the FBO his father founded 67 years ago, and isn't likely to be moving. I expect the import stream to continue to be via Long Island.

Rathmell acquired and is now running Calla's FBO in Lancaster, upon the latter's retirement. So, I think he's also there for the duration.

As an outsider, I see the continued importation of Bristells into the US as a pretty safe bet. (It is taking them longer than I had expected to get their act together.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:Let me emphasize that I have no commercial affiliation with Bristell, and don't own one of their aircraft. However, I have had professional interactions with all four of the original Bristell USA team (Mancouso, Rathmell, Calla, and Pruitt) over the past five years. That said:

Calla's plan all along was to retire, once they got this enterprise up and running. So, no surprise there. He continues to help out at the Bristell booth at Sebring Expo, because it's local to his FL retirement location.

Pruitt was originally from Texas, worked for Evektor when their US importer was there, later worked for Mooney in Kerrville, and apparently wanted to return there. His relocation from PA was no surprise.

Mancouso is in this for the long haul. He runs the FBO his father founded 67 years ago, and isn't likely to be moving. I expect the import stream to continue to be via Long Island.

Rathmell acquired and is now running Calla's FBO in Lancaster, upon the latter's retirement. So, I think he's also there for the duration.

As an outsider, I see the continued importation of Bristells into the US as a pretty safe bet. (It is taking them longer than I had expected to get their act together.)
Thanks Paul.
Looking forward to see more of them. I hope they stick around and make improvements to the product. It is a beautiful airplane.
drseti

Post by drseti »

CORRECTION: I said in my 11 August post that the quick-build assembly assistance facility for the Bristell ELSAs would be at Mancouso's hangar on Long Island. Actually, it will be in Rathmell's hangar in Lancaster PA. Sorry for the confusion.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
IFlyRC

Post by IFlyRC »

Were there any notable differences between the Bristell and the Astore in regards to flight characteristics and ease of maintenance?
drseti

Post by drseti »

I have no experience with the Astore (beyond reading up on it in all the journals). But, comparing the specs to the Bristell (which I have flown), I find two significant differences:

(1) Castering nosewheel (Astore) vs. steerable (Bristell).
(2) Movable seat (Astore) vs. movable rudder pedals (Bristell).

IMHO (at least for my mission), this gives the Bristell two distinct advantages. But, as in all things aviation, your needs may differ.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:. . . "the Bristell (which I have flown)" . . .
Paul,
Can you please comment on your impression of the flight handling characteristics of the Bristell?
I found the controls very balanced. The airplane feels like a much heavier aircraft than comparable LSA's.
I think it is a beautiful aircraft and one of my favorite LSA's.

Thank you in advance. . . . 8)
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

My feelings exactly, Bill. I couldn't have expressed it better. Reminded me very much of the feel of my old Beechcraft - which certainly wasn't an LSA! :wink:

Almost as expensive as a Beechcraft too... :(
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

I have about 160 hours in PiperSport and SportCruiser and recently had the opportunity to fly the Bristell with Liberty Sport Aviation in Lancaster, PA. These folks are highly knowledgable and their team can explain every aspect of the plane and product line moving forward in detail.

As Paul has said, the designer Bristela has been working many generations of design and development... including some designs that were only seen in Europe.

The Bristell is sleeker than the SportCruiser, most notably in the cowl and fuselage. Aluminum is thinner. Rivets are closer together. Wigs are wet. Useful load I believe is higher. The cowl can accommodate a 912is. The plane I flew was 912ULS. Access for easy maintence was a high priority in cowl design.

Seat backs are higher. Must be careful not to lean on them too hard.
Seats are reclined quite a bit. I jumped in a familiar PiperSport after flying the Bristell and immediately noticed that the seat position is more upright in the PiperSport.

Ergonomics are greatly improved. Think BMW.
Nice armrests. Seat belts will pull towards the belly button to tighten.
Canopy latch is push button.
Nose gear has a shock of some kind well hidden and is reportedly more robust.

Nose-wheel steering and toe brakes. Fixed seats, adjustable rudders, same rudder pedals as the SportCruiser in a slightly narrower footwell. Nose-wheel steering is highly responsive. We actually did slalom between the runway centerline dashes!! Another brake option is available... a hand brake activated by pulling the throttle back past idle. Trim is on the console.

LED landing lights, super bright in the wings.

Bristela is constantly doing design updates, many aerodynamic refinements of flight surfaces, etc.
better resistance to turbulence etc.

It flies a lot like the SportCruiser. Cruise and climb were probably slightly better. If I flew it more control harmonies other aerodynamic refinements would likely become more noticeable and appreciated.

The demo pilot that I flew with had me do a lot of slow flight mush near stall.
Of course, it could have broken into a stall deliberately, but the emphasis was on the good manners to mush and resist stall. The plane really did tend to "hang in there" in the mush.

Incoming designs from Bristell are HOT! Think Porsche.
Very much boutique with custom build options.
They are making retractable and taildraggers in Europe.

Euro a Site:
http://www.brmaero.com

USA site:
http://www.bristell.us/home.html

There might be E-AB and E-LSA build options as well.

(Disclaimer: Details stated are my best understanding from personal experience. Facts should be verified with the importer.)
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »