How long did it take you to get your SPL?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: How long did it take you to get your SPL?

Post by MrMorden »

39.5 hours. It would have been shorter had I not been forced to change schools, instructors, AND aircraft type at 20 hours.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

mcurcio, I'd say the most accurate answers you've received to your Q are the ones that boil down to 'it depends...'. What it in part depends on are:
-- the seasonal wx conditions where you are training, as recency effect can make a significant difference in how much training you will need to revisit
-- how you sequence your training requirements, so e.g. whether you find your available time forces you to interrupt your flight training for test prep time
-- the degree of ready access to the training a/c you are using (e.g. if you sked changes unexpectedly, can you take advantage of it; if only one training a/c, how does maintenance & mechanical problems interrupt the training)
-- similarly, the availability of the instructor(s) you are working with and, related to that in your case,
-- if you are using multiple instructors, how consistent are their approaches to training

Actually, there was one other answer that struck me as especially accurate: "...forget the hours, and concentrate on learning." And hopefully, to enjoy the flying and the training process that will be unique to you.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
MrLupin

Post by MrLupin »

Currently at 35.4 hours. Of those, 21.8 were since late July of this year in an Archer. The other 13.6 were from 2002 and 2003. Have another 10 or so hours scheduled for next week with a check ride scheduled for Saturday next week. Total will be somewhere around 45. I will have trained in 5 different aircraft finishing my pre-license training in a Remos GX.
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

About 85 hours and 9 months, with my first lesson on my 65th birthday. My CFI kept trying to "kick me out of the nest" from about 50 hours, on...

Rich
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
drseti

Post by drseti »

drdehave wrote: my first lesson on my 65th birthday.
What a wonderful way to celebrate a landmark birthday, Rich!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Indeed! But, gosh, why didn't I get into this sooner? Oh well, better late....
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

28 hours, over seven months. Would have been six months were it not for weather issues. I flew every 10-14 days.
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

33hrs over 5 month period with a final 10hrs over 3 days in Sarasota. Flew long cross country down and back with my former partner
He finished his in 20.9hrs over 2 weeks at the same flight school in Sarasota. Unfortunately that school is no longer open.
Gene Mohr
Sport Pilot Upgrading to Private
180hrs and counting
MrLupin

Post by MrLupin »

MrLupin wrote:Currently at 35.4 hours. Of those, 21.8 were since late July of this year in an Archer. The other 13.6 were from 2002 and 2003. Have another 10 or so hours scheduled for next week with a check ride scheduled for Saturday next week. Total will be somewhere around 45. I will have trained in 5 different aircraft finishing my pre-license training in a Remos GX.
Final count was 48 hours with 35 of those coming since late July. Successful check ride was last Saturday.
Horatio

Post by Horatio »

Congratulations!

:D
SP-ASEL (tailwheel)
Luscombe 8A
designrs

Post by designrs »

Congrats MrLupin!
MrLupin

Post by MrLupin »

designrs wrote:Congrats MrLupin!
Thanks guys! Our club is making on offer on a lease today so hopefully I'll have a nice LSA to fly where I live!
designrs

Post by designrs »

Good luck with that. It sounds like a great opportunity for you!