How long did it take you to get your SPL?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

mcurcio1989

How long did it take you to get your SPL?

Post by mcurcio1989 »

I'm curious to hear what others experience is with this. Both the duration of time from when you took your first lesson and the number of hours you accumulated until you took your check ride. I started in April and I had my first solo on July 10 after 20 hours. I'm currently at about 26 hours and I'm sure I'll have close to (or over) 40 by the time I take my check ride.

My experience is likely very different from most because I am a member of a LSA club that owns a training aircraft and has 3 CFI's who work on a volunteer basis. My cost is very low and we use an old pietenpol taildragger. Because of this I think I have the advantage of learning a lot of things I may otherwise not and I certainly don't have an aircraft that will make up for poor piloting.
MovingOn

Re: How long did it take you to get your SPL?

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

mcurcio1989 wrote:My cost is very low and we use an old pietenpol taildragger.
Interesting. Pretty much all of the Pietenpols I've seen come in too heavy to be Sport Pilot eligible.

As for hours, the minimum in my curriculum is 26 hours, and I've had a few students have come in at just under 30. The average student needs around 35 -- but (as I always emphasize), what really matters is not hours in the logbook, but rather skill with the stick. And, if you train for mastery rather than just barely meeting the PTS requirements, you're probably going to end up with more hours -- and become a better, safer pilot.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcurcio1989

Post by mcurcio1989 »

Our Piet weighs in just over 800# I believe. We only have a 10 gallon fuel tank. Weight does limit us to the size of instructors and students, it is sort of a running joke. There are people who are to large to train in the plane.

I am by no means insecure of the time that it is taking me. I don't rush myself and I am enjoying all of the flying. I was really just asking because it seems to me that there would be no way to safely train a pilot, with no prior flying experience, in the FAA's 20 hour minimum. Kind of curious to see where most people come in at.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
langj

Post by langj »

I did mine just over 20. However, I did continue to have lessons from my instructor after I got my license. I added airspace endorsements did some better crosswind training on a windy day and experienced different planes. I feel that even though you are an official pilot it sure does not hurt to get practice time in with an instructor to improve areas and enhance you flying from time to time. The day I stop becoming a student in everything in my life is the day I die.

Sent from my iphone
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi wrote:The fixation on hours comes from:

1. the cost to rent and pay the CFI and make time to fly if you have a job and family
2. the head-fake one gets looking at the FAA minimum hours list they say is needed to get to checkride (and they don't count the checkride in the hours).

If you add up the min requirements for each item they exceed the overall number of hours the cert call for and that is not a good thing.

The experience is largely dictated by how long you stretch it out, if you can fly every other day (weather dependent) obviously you will retain more between flights and not have relearning overlaps.

Some of it is affected by the CFI and how well they are able to convey the techniques and information. Some on you and your ability to learn and perform with hand/eye coordination.

The bottom line is to forget the hours, and concentrate on learning. You and your CFI will know when you are ready. Flying with a pro while you are still low time is more important than getting a certificate and somehow squeezing by and run into trouble when you are on your own or with a passenger.

Remember, passing the checkride doesn't mean you are done. It just means you get to keep learning while being able to fly by yourself and not have to get someone else's permission to get into the air (unless your wife wants you to cut the grass before you go to the field).
Not quite sure where you came up with this idea. The required training is included in the base hours, it is not in addition to the base hours.
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

54 hours, on weekends, over about a year.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.