SLSA Dream Machine

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Wm.Ince

Re: SLSA Dream Machine

Post by Wm.Ince »

CTLSi wrote: . . . "The plane I describe is the CTLSi, and all the goodies above leave a useful load of 500 lbs. When you factor in the 3.5 gph burn at 120KTAS you use 10 gallons in 3 hrs over 300nm. So why fill it?" . . .
It is too heavy.
With 548 lbs. usable (with tundra gear), I like my CTSW better.

To each his own, eh? . . . . 8)
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

If I ever remotely thought I might have to troubleshoot starting problems on my "Dream Machine", I would probably steer away from one with 10 (!) wires coming out of the starter switch.

May start a new thread to expand on that thought.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Interesting wish lists. Surprised no stipulated ADS-B compliance as a 'requirement' with just one mention of it as a feature.

And while there were multiple general mentions to affordability, no one stuck a dollar figure on their list of requirements. And for we financial mortals, that's surely near the top of any list. (If one can specify Unobtanium, can't we stipulate <$30K?)

Paul, you're gonna get yourself in trouble when you start equating 'tube & fabric' with 'flimsy'. The taildragger police just may come for you...and as mentioned, that Highlander certainly isn't 'flimsy'. It's just sloooooow....
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

CTLSi wrote:The only useful load you need is enough room for two people (of moderate weight), fuel, and a few golf clubs. If you need more, then don't get an LSA.
That may be all YOU need, but it's pretty presumptuous of you to tell others how they should use their airplanes. People use LSA for travel, including adventure and long distance travel, and that requires more than a golf bag. LSA have flown to Alaska, across the Atlantic, and around the world. It's nice that you use yours as a way to make your tee time a little faster, but that is not the end of it. Hell, I don't even play Golf.

Many folks use them for real world tasks, and they do those tasks well. Seeing LSA as a very limited aircraft type is limitation on your perception, not on the aircraft.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Jack Tyler wrote:And while there were multiple general mentions to affordability, no one stuck a dollar figure on their list of requirements. And for we financial mortals, that's surely near the top of any list. (If one can specify Unobtanium, can't we stipulate <$30K?)
In my case, "Provided free of charge by a generous benefactor" is a given. If actually affording the plane is part of the wish list, the rest of the elements start to fall by the wayside as the inevitable compromises between costs and benefits come into play. Cup holders ain't cheap, ya know!

Where I live, ADS-B (in and out) has to be on the list. No one airplane could meet all my wish list items, because some are mutually exclusive. Solo flight in a tandem high wing taildragger, with an open window (or door) just beyond each elbow. But when flying with a passenger, I'd prefer side by side seating.
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

Jack, I've flown my share of tube and fabric kites, and in fact there's a Stinson in my California hangar right now, so I think I'm safe from the Ragwing Police. So maybe "flimsy" was the wrong word. But I wouldn't try walking on the wing (or even sitting on it)!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I owned two tube and fabric airplanes, both Citabrias.

In about 1000 hours of tailwheel instructing, students did manage to bang the tail hard a handful of times, pushing the tailwheel up into the bottom of the rudder and bending it.

The "dream" was to go out to the airport the next day with a hammer and a bucking bar, hammer the bottom of the rudder straight and put fresh fabric over the repair and then some fresh dope.

What would have been a "nightmare"? Doing the exact same thing with a composite airframe and looking at far more involved repairs.

Ease of repair remains one of my dreams.

So one man's dream can be another man's nightmare.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

We get it. The CTLSi is your ultimate dream machine. We're happy for you.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

CTLSi wrote: . . . "The CTLSi also has a Garmin 796 WAAS GPS" . . .
And . . . may I add . . . it also has its limitations, just like any other piece of equipment.
Without line of sight conditions, it is virtually worthless for navigation. Just ask the guys that came back from Alaska in their CT's. By the way, the backup which became invaluable during those conditions was the iPad. . . . 8)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Wm.Ince wrote:By the way, the backup which became invaluable during those conditions was the iPad. . . . 8)
And, the backup to the iPad was a stack of sectionals (my, how quaint!) :wink:
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:
Wm.Ince wrote:By the way, the backup which became invaluable during those conditions was the iPad. . . . 8)
And, the backup to the iPad was a stack of sectionals (my, how quaint!) :wink:
Right on! :D
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:We get it. The CTLSi is your ultimate dream machine. We're happy for you.
And sometimes less is more.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

CTLSi wrote:.... already 2020 compliant.
Not with a 796 as the GPS source it's not. Just because it can provide data doesn't mean it's "2020 compliant".
- Bruce