Aspen Avionics

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

AJChenMPH

Aspen Avionics

Post by AJChenMPH »

Disclaimer: I'm not currently in the market to buy an LSA (CINCHOMECOM has basically told me to wait until I get my PPL *and* I find myself flying 100 hours a year or more), but my curiosity is getting the better of me and I haven't found an answer yet...so here goes:

Has anyone installed either an Aspen PFD/MFD setup in their LSA, and/or the Aspen Connected Panel system?

I know it's overkill to have certified instruments like these in a LSA, but I like the idea of having full IFR capability (even if the engine and airframe aren't certified for IFR/IMC), as well as doing my flight planning on my iPad and then wirelessly sending the flight plan across to the avionics suite after I've filed it with the FAA (or FSS if VFR).
Andy / PP-ASEL
drseti

Re: Aspen Avionics

Post by drseti »

I know of nobody who's used TSOd or DTCd avionics of any kind in an LSA, and it's unlikely that anyone would. That is because, in the case of an SLSA, an LoA is required, and most likely would not be granted by the manufacturer. In the case of an experimental, there's no reason to go with certified avionics, since (with the DAR's concurrence) the operating limitations can include actual IFR even with non-certified avionics.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

drseti wrote:I know of nobody who's used TSOd or DTCd avionics of any kind in an LSA, and it's unlikely that anyone would. That is because, in the case of an SLSA, an LoA is required, and most likely would not be granted by the manufacturer. In the case of an experimental, there's no reason to go with certified avionics, since (with the DAR's concurrence) the operating limitations can include actual IFR even with non-certified avionics.
Oh, hmmmmm... :?: *scratches head*
Andy / PP-ASEL
drseti

Post by drseti »

Typo correction: my first line should have said "TSOd or STCd".
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US