New LSA to be introduced at AirVenture

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

ct4me

New LSA to be introduced at AirVenture

Post by ct4me »

Well, sure, at least one. But I'm talking about "the one" that everyone will be talking about... MVP.aero. 'Not even sure what the name really will be, but it looks like they've cranked up the PR machine and have taken lessons from the Icon people. All we know now is that it's being called "the Worlds Most Versatile Plane", and that the CEO likes flying to "grass strips, rough fields and lakes". Hmmm, a seaplane that could also handle rough fields would be interesting.
http://mvp.aero
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Ne ... 349-1.html
http://www.bydanjohnson.com/Sidebar.cfm?Article_ID=1902
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
MrMorden

Re: New LSA to be introduced at AirVenture

Post by MrMorden »

Interesting, though the experience with Icon has taught us all to take with a grain of salt terms like "game changer", "radically different", and "world's most versatile airplane" when applied to LSA. I hope in this case it's true, the designer certainly has the pedigree (20 years with Cirrus and lead on the Vision Jet).
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Not to feed the frenzy... but found this view buried on their website, that hasn't appeared elsewhere.
Attachments
MVP.aero lights?
MVP.aero lights?
mvplights2.jpg (16.89 KiB) Viewed 6892 times
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Their ad campaign, just giving enticing glimpses, reminds me of what Polaris has been going with their "Slingshot".

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot

Which looks like it will be a hoot, BTW.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

I signed a NDA and was disclosed on this new aircraft about 6 weeks ago by their director of sales. All I can say is it will give Icon some competition and will be a viable alternative to the A5. I will be attending the press conference next Sunday at Oshkosh where it is being launched. Report to follow.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

Aerotrek is not a seaplane, so comparisons with the numbers of Icon deposit holders may be off mark. And it sells very well. It's the best selling Kitfox clone (or derivative) on the market, selling better than original Kitfox.

Remos's problem is it's the same thing as CTLS, only somewhat worse: just a shade slower, ergonomics just a shade worse (removing the seats to access baggage, really?), 2 fatals (both linked to the disconnected QDs for controls). It could be a Mustang vs Camaro thing, but didn't work out.

Now the point may be that Remos' folding wing does not add enough value to prevail over CTLS. One issue with this, Remos' wing requires 2 people to fold safely, or at least on N28GX and N831RC it does. As a result, NMSA's Remoses occupy 2 hangars instead of sharing one.
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

By the way, who wants to bet that MVP.aero uses IO-290? Vickers announced such Icon competitor officially. In addition, the Skyraider kit specifies IO-290 in LSA landplane. Looks like people started to move beyond Rotax a bit.

Update: Woops, I screwed it up. Vickers Wave is specified with IO-360. Neeever miiiind.
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

I attended the press reveal of the MVP today at Oshkosh this afternoon. I am sure there will be plenty of media coverage on all the usual sites tomorrow morning as all the major reporters where there. The website has now gone live and contains much of the high level information presented today. Most of the focus today was on the business model and the pedigree of the management and engineering team and less on the aircraft itself. A full scale mock-up/prototype was shown.

I will update this post when I return on Thursday.

http://www.mvp.aero
drseti

Post by drseti »

zaitcev wrote:Aerotrek <snip> sells very well. It's the best selling Kitfox clone (or derivative) on the market.
Pete,
Technically, AeroTrek is not a KitFox clone. It is an Avid Flyer clone (as, in fact, is the KitFox). Denny worked for Avid before he started his own company.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Caught two errors in their spec sheet already:
Full flap stall speed (Vfe)
Max climb rate (Vy)
Vfe is, of course, actually max flap extension speed, and Vy is airspeed for best rate climb. Their marketing department needs to take ground school!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

Always love seeing the flashy promotions for concept birds (have seen decades of them), and always look forward to seeing the 1 in 25 which manage to make it to production. Good marketing and presentation.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I'm with Don. I wish them well, would like to see them succeed ... And am not holding my breath.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US