New LSA to be introduced at AirVenture

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

ct4me

Re: New LSA to be introduced at AirVenture

Post by ct4me »

Anyone remember the Nexaer?
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

The LSA floatplane/amphib market has to be small to begin with, especially with all the regulations on where you can land. And now there are, what, 12 different aircraft?? I can only assume it's some sort of guy fantasy/dream.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

ct4me wrote: I can only assume it's some sort of guy fantasy/dream.
I heard the reveal was poorly orchestrated, so I can forgive you for not knowing that you are correct. The company owner had 4 various LSAs, including those on floats, and flew them over the South, camping on river banks. So, MVP is his idea of the ultimate airplane for his lifestyle. He just needs to find enough other plutocrats who are into active lifestyle and adventures, and live in the area that supports it (such as Missouri, Loisiana, Texas).

The fabric wing is not as sexy as Icon's plastic, but its purpose is to withstand minute damage. The same was an important design consideration for the hull. Apparently the guy hit a thing or two while on the water in his conventional floatplane LSAs.
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

drseti wrote:I'm with Don. I wish them well, would like to see them succeed ... And am not holding my breath.
Paul,
Same here.. I look back at some great aircraft which never hit production... Some companies sold the rights to the design and other companies utilized their hard work and testing to create their own success stories... Good example was the Anderson Greenwood pusher... Wish MVP well....
Last edited by snaproll on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

I clearly like the graphics on the green plane. It looks like it is smiling.
:D
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

AVweb's lead-off quote on the roll-out was that some businesses have succeeded by introducing a product no one knew they needed until they could buy it. This 'jack of all trades, master of none' design doesn't particularly strike me as that kind of aircraft. But then, I didn't think the AirCam was a marketable design and it seems to have its own cult following and has enjoyed limited production success for some years now.

Let's remember that some business models in the sport aviation realm can succeed, on a limited basis at least, over a long stretch of time if it's a labor of love with the equity partners serving as the marketing dept. one day and the assembly line crew the next.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
designrs

Post by designrs »

You just have to root for someone going out there to develop their vision.
I hope they find their niche and do well.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I stopped at the booth and talked to the MVP people. I talked to the CEO and a couple of the engineers.

While the mission of that LSA is not for me, they look like they have a nice product for those who would like the Icon. They are very thoughtful about the design, and are trying to make things both practical and fun. The airplane will come standard with a parachute system (at the insistence of the ex-Cirrus lead engineer), though all the details have not been fully worked out yet. I suspect that the pusher design will present some particular challenges in that regard, but not insurmountable. The company seems personable, realistic, and committed to the airplane. They are definitely not inclined to waste most of their venture capital on marketing glitz. *cough...Icon...cough*

The useful load is going to be 480-500lb, which IMO is the low end limit for really useful flying of any distance. If you are talking about day flying with two 190+lb butts and 12-16 gallons of fuel, then it's entirely sufficient.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
mcurcio1989

Post by mcurcio1989 »

I hadn't seen this thread when I went over to the seaplane base on Saturday so it was my first news and look at the thing. I'm with you guys on the whole wait for the hype to clear. The whole fishing platform just seemed over the top to me.

My CFI pointed this out to me in regard to the ICON and while I was initially annoyed by it (I love amphibs) he is correct. The problem the Icon faces is complex. They are clearly marketing towards non pilots. An existing pilot with the money it takes to buy an icon is more than likely going to opt for a certified aircraft. It doesn't matter how smart you make the airplane you are marketing the most difficult kind of Light airplane to fly (tailwheel, retract, sea plane) to people with no experience just want (based on marketing hype and money. Most of these guys probably think its going to be just like going out and buying Ferrari or something. A couple spins around the block and there good to go. If any of these buyers had the type of interest it takes to safely operate an amphib they would have purchased any number of the light sport amphibs already out there which are far more affordable, have good track records, and offer more or less the same performance (minus looking like a super car and folding wings -aka hype).

Do you really think pilots have been looking at the existing LSA amphibians on the market (which are a fraction of the price of either the MVP or the Icon) thinking "Ya know what this is nice but it just needs a fishing platform for me to justify buying it."

The bottom line is I may be wrong but it think it is going to be a lot harder to turn a fat wallet into a safe pilot than they think. Its either going to kill people, or just produce really poor sales numbers once these potential buyers start realizing that.

So MVP just took Icon's idea (which has yet to actually put out real production aircraft and now said ya know what this thing is missing? a cockpit that transforms into a bass boat. I hate to be a pessimist but looking at where icon is at in there production this almost seems comical.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I asked the engineer about the bass boat seat. He laughed and said that they just did that because it was easy to do, and added almost zero weight. Also said the fishing seat is just on the mock up and almost certainly would not be in the production airplane. The seat is just the pilot seat repositioned.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

The fact is, both the Icon and the MVP are vaporware, and will continue to be until they actually have a product to deliver.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

One difference between the business model of MVP and Icon is that MVP is proposing a 'crawl / walk / run' approach. Initially the MVP will be available only as EAB that will allow aircraft over 1430 pounds and the option for higher horsepower engines such as the new Superior IO360 clone. Next will be the E-LSA model available in s similar approach to the Glasair 'Two Week to Taxi' program. Finally around 2018 the S-LSA model is planned to be available. Perhaps this measured approach to the market may allow MVP to get aircraft into builders / customers hands faster than Icon has been able to.