Weight & Balance

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

BrianL99

Weight & Balance

Post by BrianL99 »

I need some help with Weight & Balance on an LSA.

I downloaded a couple of different programs onto my iPad, but they all need me to "insert points moving in a clockwise direction".

After a few hours of frustration, I figured out what they wanted ... they wanted points from the typical W/B Graph you would find in a POH.

Apparently LSA's don't have a similar graph in their POH? I've searched through every POH I could find for Sting aircraft and can't find one anywhere.

I tried running some scenarios that I know will fit the envelope, but when the programs graphed my input, the "envelope" looked like a "kite war" ... not like a W/B envelope.

I'm far from a math genius and obviously not a W/B expert, but having done some research, I know W/B is critical in an LSA.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this figured out?
CTLSi

Re: Weight & Balance

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

CTLSi wrote:
You need the CG range chart so you can determine your final CG is in the acceptable zone. That's from the POH as you noted. If you can't find a current POH for the aircraft online, or the POH lacks the CG chart then email or call the manufacturer.

I apologize if you already knew all of the above and are just asking the board for the CG chart.
Thank you, but I know how to calculate the WB, I just don't know how to create the graph/chart that most of the software out there, requires. There is no chart in the Sting POH, which struck me as odd.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Which apps?

Also, I have a spreadsheet for a Sting W&B that would be pretty easy to adapt that allows you to enter the various dynamic parameters (pilot weight, passenger, fuel, wing tanks, baggage). Let me know and I'll post.
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

This doesn't directly address the OP's question, but here's a PowerPoint presentation for one of my upcoming, world-famous EAA webinars, that may be relevant:

http://avsport.org/pwrpoint/wt_bal.pps

(Note that, unless you have a PowerPoint Reader plug-in installed in your browser, you may need to save this file and then open it using Microsoft PowerPoint.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

BrianL99 wrote:Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this figured out?
I use the W & B App developed by Roy Kronenfeld. No programming necessary. Runs like a champ right out of the box. Check it out the App Store.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

Flocker wrote:
BrianL99 wrote:Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this figured out?
I use the W & B App developed by Roy Kronenfeld. No programming necessary. Runs like a champ right out of the box. Check it out the App Store.

I must be explaining this wrong, because that's the program I spent 4 hours playing with and can't get it done.
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

dstclair wrote:Which apps?

Also, I have a spreadsheet for a Sting W&B that would be pretty easy to adapt that allows you to enter the various dynamic parameters (pilot weight, passenger, fuel, wing tanks, baggage). Let me know and I'll post.

That would be a good start Dave, thank you.

My email is [email protected]
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

I got so frustrated with all the available apps (and I tried a whole mess of them) that I created my own.
I have to do a bunch of custom calculations for each different plane, but once that is done and put into the program, W&B calculations are automagic.