Insuring a kit while building

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

mcurcio1989

Insuring a kit while building

Post by mcurcio1989 »

I will be picking up my Aventura II kit next week and after talking with a gentlemen in my EAA chapter whose shop burned down with his airplane sailboat and all kinds of other things in it I think I kind of want to protect my investment a little. He said, and my insurance agent confirmed, that homeowners insurance (or in my case renters) will not cover any kind of recreational vehicle. It seems like this should be a reasonable premium because I'm not talking about anything moving or running just specifically while it is in the garage during the build. I figure I'll call some of the aircraft insurance providers but I'm curious to hear if any of you have dealt with this. It just seems like too big of an investment (I understand that is relative) just to hope nothing happens.
drseti

Re: Insuring a kit while building

Post by drseti »

Falcon Insurance Agency, the official EAA insurance provider, deals with this issue all the time, and can certainly help you. Contact Bob Mackey there for details. (Not an EAA member? If you're a homebuilder, you should be!) :D

We also have an "Ask the Insurance agent" forum on this board. You should poke around there a bit.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
mcurcio1989

Post by mcurcio1989 »

drseti wrote:Falcon Insurance Agency, the official EAA insurance provider, deals with this issue all the time, and can certainly help you. Contact Bob Mackey there for details. (Not an EAA member? If you're a homebuilder, you should be!) :D

We also have an "Ask the Insurance agent" forum on this board. You should poke around there a bit.
Okay will do. I am most definitely an EAA Member. Local Chapter and national!
drseti

Post by drseti »

mcurcio1989 wrote:I am most definitely an EAA Member. Local Chapter and national!
I kinda figured you were. That poke was for the benefit of the lurkers.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

drseti wrote:
mcurcio1989 wrote:I am most definitely an EAA Member. Local Chapter and national!
I kinda figured you were. That poke was for the benefit of the lurkers.
OUCH!
- Bruce
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

Falcon insures my RV-12 kit while building. I now have $40K of parts and pieces which they insure for $250. Avemco wanted $400 for the same coverage.
John Horn
Independence Airpark (7S5), OR
CFII, LSRM-A
Rotax Service, Maint, and Heavy Maint. trained
Flying a CTSW, building an RV-12
mcurcio1989

Post by mcurcio1989 »

^That sounds pretty reasonable that is very close to where I am at cost wise. This is one of the very rare cases where the peace of mind with insurance is really worth it for me. Thanks for posting that. I'll definitely have to give them a call.