How do you guys afford a brand new SLSA?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: How do you guys afford a brand new SLSA?

Post by MrMorden »

Flocker wrote:
dstclair wrote:Ownership has many other intangible benefits that far outweigh the $$ cost to me, though.
Couldn't agree more. Availability and knowing no one else has flown the plane are enough for me.
Amen.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

You afford your own airplane by making good choices and planning. Ownership is not always the most economical, but is by far the safest as you always know some idiot didn't make a 9G landing the day before and didn't tell anyone. Many a time, I have gone out to preflight a rental and found damage, fatigue cracks, missing parts, leaks, avionics inoperable, etc. Ownership can be accomplished on a budget by searching for an older aircraft in good condition, investing time and energy, and taking pride in what you own. Investing $15K to $20K in an Aeronica 7 series, Porterfield, Funk, Taylorcraft, Piper, Cessna 120, or equivalent will yield many good years of flying and enjoyment.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

snaproll wrote:Ownership is not always the most economical, but is by far the safest as you always know some idiot didn't make a 9G landing the day before and didn't tell anyone.
On the flip side, when you make a bad landing you cringe even more because you own the airplane. Ask me how I know. ;)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

MrMorden wrote:
snaproll wrote:Ownership is not always the most economical, but is by far the safest as you always know some idiot didn't make a 9G landing the day before and didn't tell anyone.
On the flip side, when you make a bad landing you cringe even more because you own the airplane. Ask me how I know. ;)
OK Andy - I'll bite ... How do you know? VR.. Don Stits
garbageman

Post by garbageman »

I purchased a new Tecnam Eaglet in Dec 2009. Paid cash for half, and financed half. Leased the airplane to a flight school for three and a half years. School flew it an average of 62 hours a month. First engine made TBO (2000hrs). I did a lot of the maintenance myself. Had positive cash flow every month. Paid for the new engine, retired most of the debt, and my flying hours were "free".
Now have the plane at a small grass field closer to home. Spent time this winter bringing the airplane back to my standards.
Looking back, this was a good way to own my own airplane. It is great not to worry about schedules, and what the student did on the previous flight.
When I sell it, the price can be very competitive due to depreciation.

David
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

snaproll wrote:
MrMorden wrote:
OK Andy - I'll bite ... How do you know? VR.. Don Stits
The same way most of us know...by having plenty of marginal landings. :mrgreen:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

The same way most of us know...by having plenty of marginal landings.
Been there, done that.
Dave
designrs

Post by designrs »

Article in Flying magazine this month (May 2014) about making ownership more affordable. As a newbie I found the article to be worthwhile. First there is the cost of buying he plane (not part of the article) then the cost of managing the aircraft (article focus).

My local airport 39N is hosting a seminar tonight @ 7 PM on aircraft ownership.
I will post a review as applicable.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Any thoughts on Sonex? There are several on Barnstormers for about $30k to $35k.

A bit on flight characteristics here:
http://ereksonfamily.org/sonex/the-sone ... the-sonex/
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

designrs wrote:Any thoughts on Sonex? There are several on Barnstormers for about $30k to $35k.

Personal Opinion Only...
The good thing about the Sonex is that when you're flying it, you can't actually see how ugly it is. Good reports outnumber bad at least 4-1.
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

The only ugly in aviation, Bruce, is the hangar queen that never flies. :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

drseti wrote:The only ugly in aviation, Bruce, is the hangar queen that never flies. :wink:
... and very sad.
- Bruce
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:The only ugly in aviation, Bruce, is the hangar queen that never flies. :wink:
You haven't seen some of the pilots that hang around here! :lol:
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

designrs wrote:Any thoughts on Sonex? There are several on Barnstormers for about $30k to $35k.

I built the tail and fuselage of a Sonex before selling the project. They are great airplanes. Neutrally stable and very sporty to fly, fully aerobatic (+6g/-3g), and built like tanks. Generally simple design (read: easy maintenance) that stalls at 40mph and cruises at 130mph (or 140-150mph with a Jabiru 3300 engine).

Bad points are short legs (2hr legs with reserves), a little hard to get in and out of, and a smallish useful load in the 480-530lb range. Also some people don't like the looks, but if you are around them a while they grow on you.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
designrs

Post by designrs »

Personally I like the looks of the Sonex, especially on the more attractive painted planes.

Thoughts on:
1) Reliability of the Aero Vee motor?
2) Level of tailwheel skill required, relative to say a Carbon Cub SS (easier or more challenging)?

Thanks!