How do you guys afford a brand new SLSA?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: How do you guys afford a brand new SLSA?

Post by MrMorden »

Jack Tyler wrote:The discussion reflects an interesting trend I've seen since starting to educate myself about investing three decades ago. There are always those on the sidelines who find all kinds of reasons to throw stones at the market (which encompasses far more than equities) and there are those like Howard and Eddie who seek to adopt reasonable investment paths, work at them steadily over time, and end up generally pleased with the results despite all the ups & downs. I know which camp I'm thankful I've been in.
Saying I don't trust the current market and don't want to be invested in it now is not "throwing stones." I have been invested in stocks at various points in my life and have done well with it (and sometimes not so well). The current market is not rational, because it's based on on yield-chasing and Fed liquidity injections and not on fundamentals. In the current market, Apple's market cap is at various points higher than that of IBM, Google, Microsoft, and Amazon...combined. They make a great product, but does that seem like a rational valuation? Here are some more fun facts:

http://thingsappleisworthmorethan.tumblr.com/

Please don't misrepresent my position as "throwing stones" at equities investing. I am throwing stones at equity investing in the current market. You can disagree, but it's not accurate to cast me as some knuckle-dragging luddite who doesn't understand the market and just wants to stuff cash in my mattress.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

The current market is not rational, because it's based on on yield-chasing and Fed liquidity injections and not on fundamentals. In the current market, Apple's market cap is at various points higher than that of IBM, Google, Microsoft, and Amazon...combined. They make a great product, but does that seem like a rational valuation?
This behavior has existed since I started paying attention to the market. Nearly 20 years ago, Netscape went public and arguably started the Dot Bomb era. The stock tripled on opening day giving them a market cap of around $3B (1995 dollars) although they had no revenue and gave their products away for free. Not too rational. This is less the exemption than the rule for the past 30 years in my observations. Investing is a long-term strategy that will see a few bumps along the way.
dave
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

The decision point for me was to accept the fact that I simply could not spend all of my paycheck every month. Even though the company provided outstanding benefits (including a pension) I had to make the decision to actually save a portion of my paycheck for retirement. That was the hard decision. Since I don't understand the financial analysis you guys have been discussing, the easy decision was to hire an expert who does. I never got rich but this strategy did allow me to buy "a brand new SLSA".
Dave
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

dstclair wrote:
The current market is not rational, because it's based on on yield-chasing and Fed liquidity injections and not on fundamentals. In the current market, Apple's market cap is at various points higher than that of IBM, Google, Microsoft, and Amazon...combined. They make a great product, but does that seem like a rational valuation?
This behavior has existed since I started paying attention to the market. Nearly 20 years ago, Netscape went public and arguably started the Dot Bomb era. The stock tripled on opening day giving them a market cap of around $3B (1995 dollars) although they had no revenue and gave their products away for free. Not too rational. This is less the exemption than the rule for the past 30 years in my observations. Investing is a long-term strategy that will see a few bumps along the way.
I'm not talking about usual "irrational exuberance" over certain companies, to use Greenspan's phrase. Apple is just one example. The entire market is propped up right now by essentially free printed money from the Fed in the banking sector. With interest rates near zero, all savings and low risk holdings are being driven into the equities in search of returns.

This can't last forever, but the Fed has painted itself into a corner. The last rumor that the Fed was going to end its bond-buying programs dropped the market by 400 points instantly, so they backed off of that. They claim QE is tapering, but it's so slow that there is essentially no effect. Rates can *never* be raised substantially, because the US government debt service would crush the federal budget, and excessive consumer debt will crush individuals. So they will talk about raising rates, but it will never happen. If it does happen (and it should) it will cause a depression.

The underlying debt and derivatives issues that caused the 2008 meltdown have never been addressed. It was all spackled over by money printing and Fed asset purchases. And now we see the return of the subprime lending that caused the problem in the first place, because (in the short term at least) it's lucrative and once again, it's all about chasing yield at high risk, since money is being driven out of reasonable risk investments by low interest rates.

In Europe, and likely soon the USA, zero interest rates are going negative, and cash holding accounts will be *charged* to hold cash. That is yet another way to drive out savings and force the equities markets ever upward. Once the majority of savings is flushed out, the system can grow no more and will head back to Earth with great energy.

Combine this with the court decision in the MF Global case, saying that "segregated accounts" (those held by clients) can be used by an institution to save itself from financial losses. MFG was acting in the capacity of a bank, so that means that the savings accounts you hold may be used by your bank to cover its own losses. And additionally the FDIC doesn't have enough money to cover even a single major bank (JP Morgan/Chase, Goldman, etc) failure. So that money will simply be *gone* as it was for MFG clients. So sorry, so sad. Sure, the Fed could print more money and give it to the FDIC, which just adds to the debt load and reduces the value of the currency.

The real problem is not the equities markets; this is a sovereign debt currency crisis, where the equities and bond markets are being used as a crutch to "kick the can" of debt further down the road. In an aviation analogy, the Fed and the US government are near stall speed and are trying to correct it by pulling the stick back as hard as they can to prevent losing any altitude. It will end badly. What needs to happen is for the Fed to "release back pressure on the stick and let the nose drop" to allow all the bad debt to clear out of the system and allow failures in the banking and insurance sectors, but with Goldman Sachs as the largest contributor to both political parties, that is not happening.
Last edited by MrMorden on Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

deltafox wrote:The decision point for me was to accept the fact that I simply could not spend all of my paycheck every month. Even though the company provided outstanding benefits (including a pension) I had to make the decision to actually save a portion of my paycheck for retirement. That was the hard decision. Since I don't understand the financial analysis you guys have been discussing, the easy decision was to hire an expert who does. I never got rich but this strategy did allow me to buy "a brand new SLSA".
That's basically how I did it. But as I posted a few minutes ago, savings are now being discouraged by Fed policies. It's going to get harder and harder to make savings work, as increased inflation and bank fees eat away at savings held in accounts. So people are going to get forced into higher risk vehicles for their money, or they can watch them erode steadily. IMO we have been sold a lie that inflation is good, but it's really just a means for stealing wealth from all productive citizens to be used for government spending. Before the Fed was created in 1913 there was little appreciable inflation in the US, other than specific periods surrounding the Civil War.

Ironically, the Fed's primary mandate is to "maintain price stability". Yet prices were far more stable before it was created.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Andy,

You sound like a finance major.
I agree with you. This whole economy has become a house of cards.
When it starts coming down, it ain't gonna' be pretty.
And make no mistake about it, that will eventually happen, it is just a matter of when.

18 trillion and counting.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

(US$ 18 000 000 000) x 5% = 900 million US$

We have recently borrowed $7 Trillion and have nothing to show for it.

The govt lies about inflation and the Fed prints money in order to steal from the population. Its not complicated.

The Fed used to be mandated with protecting the currency and now the dollar has lost almost all of its 1913 value. Now the Fed is mandated to protect jobs and there are no longer good private sector jobs.

But hey, the Rothchilds are still pretty rich!
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Wm.Ince wrote:Andy,

When it starts coming down, it ain't gonna' be pretty.
And make no mistake about it, that will eventually happen, it is just a matter of when.
That's kind of my take, it's a mathematical certainty that things can't go on in this way. But it could happen next year, or 20 years from now. The only question is when.

Financial planners will tell you not to try to time the market... ;)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Interesting opinion piece: Why Doomsters Who Predict The Collapse Of Money Are Wrong (http://www.forbes.com/sites/investor/20 ... are-wrong/)
dave
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

dstclair wrote:Interesting opinion piece: Why Doomsters Who Predict The Collapse Of Money Are Wrong (http://www.forbes.com/sites/investor/20 ... are-wrong/)
Jesus. That article spends a third of the text making fun of anybody who thinks there is a problem, then a third telling us why those people are right, then the last third about why it's really okay anyway because the government can just inflate the currency and steal the wealth of the citizenry (and their creditors) to "fix" any problems. :roll:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI