Aircraft Financing Advise

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

mcurcio1989

Re: Aircraft Financing Advise

Post by mcurcio1989 »

It's an Aventura made by Aero Adventure. For me the only option was a LSA Amphibian because I don't want to fly anything that can't land in the water. That kind of narrowed it down to the Aventura or the Sea Rey. From all the research I did the Aventura just seemed to fit my build perfectly. Nothing against the Sea Rey but I see it as more of an old man's plane (I guess aviation has kid of turned into that in general). Somebody who wants to spend a lot of time on the build and have a more refined interior and feel. I'm a 24 year old guy - I have no place spending more money for those kinds of frills. As far as performance, everything I have read basically said that the Sea Rey has a lighter feel on the stick and a 5mph faster crusie speed while the Aventura's strong point is it's handling on the water (which is reflected by its take off distance). I haven't really heard anything bad about either of them. When you look at it the two planes really just appeal to two different kinds of people and for me the Aventura was exactly what I wanted. I found the guys are Aero Adventure to be very friendly and helpful and that is a huge plus. I went down and toured the Aventura Factory and took a demo flight. It exceeded every expectation and I got out of the plane wondering why more people don't have these. It's like there missing out but maybe I am just biased because to me flying and boating should go hand in hand. I'm actually now Aero Adventure's local dealer / rep, which is a great opportunity and something I am very excited about. Unfortunately, it means that I'm going to have to tame down my excitement for these planes so I don't appear as a pushy salesman.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

mcurcio1989 wrote:It's an Aventura made by Aero Adventure. For me the only option was a LSA Amphibian because I don't want to fly anything that can't land in the water. That kind of narrowed it down to the Aventura or the Sea Rey. From all the research I did the Aventura just seemed to fit my build perfectly. Nothing against the Sea Rey but I see it as more of an old man's plane (I guess aviation has kid of turned into that in general). Somebody who wants to spend a lot of time on the build and have a more refined interior and feel. I'm a 24 year old guy - I have no place spending more money for those kinds of frills. As far as performance, everything I have read basically said that the Sea Rey has a lighter feel on the stick and a 5mph faster crusie speed while the Aventura's strong point is it's handling on the water (which is reflected by its take off distance). I haven't really heard anything bad about either of them. When you look at it the two planes really just appeal to two different kinds of people and for me the Aventura was exactly what I wanted. I found the guys are Aero Adventure to be very friendly and helpful and that is a huge plus. I went down and toured the Aventura Factory and took a demo flight. It exceeded every expectation and I got out of the plane wondering why more people don't have these. It's like there missing out but maybe I am just biased because to me flying and boating should go hand in hand. I'm actually now Aero Adventure's local dealer / rep, which is a great opportunity and something I am very excited about. Unfortunately, it means that I'm going to have to tame down my excitement for these planes so I don't appear as a pushy salesman.
LOL, 80% of people could not tell the Aventura and Searey apart I bet! I'm glad you got what you wanted, I think both of them are cool airplanes. What are the specs on your Aventura? Cruise speed, gross weight, useful load, fuel capacity, etc?
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

....and what engine did you go with?
dave
mcurcio1989

Post by mcurcio1989 »

I agree that both are cool airplanes and you are definitely right about most people not being able to tell them apart. I certainly couldn't at first. The more I learned about the two you can begin to differentiate what kind of people they appeal to. Like I said for me it became a very easy choice (certainly nothing against the Sea Rey). Advertised Cruise speed is 80mph, gross weight - 1420lbs, dry weight 750lbs, useful load is advertised as 600lbs, fuel capacity is 18lbs. (Basic Spec Sheet below). Obviously they aren't the fastest aircraft out there but that isn't what flying an amphib is about for me at all. I think the high useful load is a very impressive for an aircraft of this size and class. I really like the fact that you can land these aircrafts on there hulls and not cause any damage. It gives them an added safety factor in the event of an unplanned off airport landing. Being able to take off in under 300 feet from the water is pretty amazing.

I chose the am1500 (Suzuki). It is a relatively new engine to the LSA industry and more then likely I will be the 2nd Aventura equipped with one and the first that isn't a demo plane. I have very high expectations for this motor from what I have been hearing and I am pretty excited about it. It was really a choice between this and the Honda viking. Time will tell how the two compare.

MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

mcurcio1989 wrote:I agree that both are cool airplanes and you are definitely right about most people not being able to tell them apart. I certainly couldn't at first. The more I learned about the two you can begin to differentiate what kind of people they appeal to. Like I said for me it became a very easy choice (certainly nothing against the Sea Rey). Advertised Cruise speed is 80mph, gross weight - 1420lbs, dry weight 750lbs, useful load is advertised as 600lbs, fuel capacity is 18lbs. (Basic Spec Sheet below). Obviously they aren't the fastest aircraft out there but that isn't what flying an amphib is about for me at all. I think the high useful load is a very impressive for an aircraft of this size and class. I really like the fact that you can land these aircrafts on there hulls and not cause any damage. It gives them an added safety factor in the event of an unplanned off airport landing. Being able to take off in under 300 feet from the water is pretty amazing.

I chose the am1500 (Suzuki). It is a relatively new engine to the LSA industry and more then likely I will be the 2nd Aventura equipped with one and the first that isn't a demo plane. I have very high expectations for this motor from what I have been hearing and I am pretty excited about it. It was really a choice between this and the Honda viking. Time will tell how the two compare.

Nice. On the slow side, but big fat useful load and looks like loads of fun!

Did you fly it yet? I'm curious to hear how you like the Viking engine.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Actually, I'm very curious about the 117hp Suzuki FI engine.
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

mcurcio1989 wrote:fuel capacity is 18lbs.
I think you mean 18 gallons (108 pounds). 18 pounds of fuel would be only 3 gallons, barely enough to fly 6 minutes with the required 30 minute reserve! :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

drseti wrote:
mcurcio1989 wrote:fuel capacity is 18lbs.
I think you mean 18 gallons (108 pounds). 18 pounds of fuel would be only 3 gallons, barely enough to fly 6 minutes with the required 30 minute reserve! :wink:
The chief instructor at my flight school insisted on flying a stage check with me and had me plan a short cross country. I came back to him with a plan with nothing but 5-10 minute legs (over a very meandering path for a fairly short straight line flight to get such short legs). He asked why I planned it that way and I patted myself on the gut and pointed at his (which was MUCH larger than mine).

He cancelled the stage check and told me to go fly with my regular (much lighter) instructor.
- Bruce
mcurcio1989

Post by mcurcio1989 »

Haha yes 18 gallons.

My kit won't be ready for a month as they make the hulls and fabric to order. Engine also takes a couple weeks. I should have it done in a month or two after I pick it up. I am going to drive the kit back from Florida and they should have a plane with the Suzuki in it by that time so I can give some thoughts of it then (end of may).

I have flown in an Aventura with a viking but unfortunately I have never flown in an airplane with a 912 so I do not have a good comparison. I can tell you that it felt very smooth and very responsive. The gentleman I flew with was the original test pilot for the Aventuras so he has thousands of hours in them with rotax. He really likes the Viking (I believe he has had the viking in his plane over a year now) and has nothing but good to say about it. I had an absolute blast flying in it. The cabin has so much space inside and visibility is on a different scale compared to other aircraft I have flown in.

As far as the speed goes, I'm coming from the world of paramotoring where 30mph is lightning fast. To me sport flying is all about taking in views and surrounding that you fly in. Sure there will be times where I want to take day trips and extra cruise speed would be great. However 95% of the time I would rather have high useful load, incredible visibility, and the ability to land in small lakes and rivers. Kind of hard to do those things without compromising aerodynamics.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

mcurcio1989 wrote:Haha yes 18 gallons.

As far as the speed goes, I'm coming from the world of paramotoring where 30mph is lightning fast. To me sport flying is all about taking in views and surrounding that you fly in. Sure there will be times where I want to take day trips and extra cruise speed would be great. However 95% of the time I would rather have high useful load, incredible visibility, and the ability to land in small lakes and rivers. Kind of hard to do those things without compromising aerodynamics.
There is definitely something to that...my CTSW will do 120 knots, but when I'm not going anywhere in particular I spend a lot of time in the 70-80 knot range just taking in the splendor of flight.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI