RV12 Factory News Letter

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

c162pilot

RV12 Factory News Letter

Post by c162pilot »

For those of you that do not receive the Vans RV-12 S-LSA newsletter here is the latest edition that I just received. Nice to see that the factory has an ongoing program of keeping in touch with their current and potential customers.

http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=c57 ... 2420605502
Nomore767

Re: RV12 Factory News Letter

Post by Nomore767 »

Vans is offering the RV12 S-LSA with ADSB-out installed. I assume that this means their unit is fully 2020 compatible?
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

The Dynon Sykview Transponder model number SV-XPNDR-261, used in the RV-12, is a Mode-S ES capable device and as such is sending the ADS-B out signal on the 1090Mhz band.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/SkyVi ... R-26X.html
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

And the Dynon transponder is appropriately TSO'ed but the GPS position source is not. It will work fine but is not 2020 compliant without a different GPS or a retro-certification.
dave
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Dave,

So when you say a new GPS, what exactly would be required to make the Dynon system 2020 compliant? Like how much more would that cost?

I'm curious to know as I'll be talking to the Vans folks next week at Sebring, but I'd like to have some inkling beforehand.

Thanks!

Cheers, Howard
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Hi Howard,

You would need an ADS-B certified WAAS GPS like the Freeflight 1201. From Dynon Support:
First off, we do support the FreeFlight 1201 GPS as an ADS-B position source, so feel free to use one of those if you want.

We'd love to have other ADS-B GPS options, but there aren't any on the market right now. It's a device that needs to be certified to an 800 page TSO, so it's not easy to make. However, given the 2020 ADS-B mandate, there is a good chance that in the next 6 years someone will come out with an affordable solution.

The nice thing is that the transponder is already ADS-B out legal, and can be updated in software. So if there is an affordable GPS device in the future, we can update for it. Until then, you can use the non-certified GPS built into SkyView and get all the benefits of ADS-B without the cost.
dave