What is good, bad or interesting about Tecnam LSAs?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Nomore767

What is good, bad or interesting about Tecnam LSAs?

Post by Nomore767 »

Have heard a few things both good and bad about Tecnam LSAs.

Anybody have any comments or experiences? Would you buy one? What's the support like?

What's your favorite model? Have you flown one? What did you think?

Cheers, Howard
MrMorden

Re: What is good, bad or interesting about Tecnam LSAs?

Post by MrMorden »

What bad have you heard?? The only negative I know of is cost, and resale value stays high for used buyers. Tecnam makes great, well balanced honestly flying airplanes of high build quality.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

A friend of mine, fellow retired Penn State aeronautics professor, has a Tecnam Sierra. Great plane. The only negative is that he wanted to upgrade the panel, and Tecnam gave him a hard time with the required LoA (for which they charge $$).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

I've heard some rumblings about Tecnam's support in the USA, but would like to hear something specific.

Their planes are supposed to be high quality but in turn they're expensive.

They have a lot of models but don't seem to sell many.

The Lycoming powered Eaglet looks good but apparently not being offered in USA, don't know why.

Off topic but..the Lyc 0-233 …is it really able to run on both E10 auto and 100LL? Is there any additional maintenance for the lead like there would be on a Rotax?
jpb7216

Post by jpb7216 »

I’ve flown both the Sierra and P2008 at the Midwest LSA Expo. I loved how both of them flew. They are sporty and well balanced on the controls. I didn’t notice much of a difference performance wise between the high wing verses the low wing so it’s personal preference. I really enjoyed flying them and I felt they were the best LSA’s I flew that weekend.

I can see your concerns about service and parts, that is one aspect that made us chose the RV-12 over the Sierra. They are still building a supply chain in the US. So you might have to wait a week or so for your parts to arrive from Italy.

The guys in Richmond are a great dealer and are very accommodating to your specific needs. However, the trouble begins when owners want specific brands and versions of avionics equipment and having “communication” and compatibility issues between the units once integrated into the Dynon Skyview.

Build quality is great. The wings and tail are made of aluminum so dings and hangar rash are easier to fix than its carbon counterparts. Fuse is composite.

They don’t sell a bunch stateside, but they are all the rage in Europe.

If I where to buy one, it would be the Sierra. I loved how it flew and the idea of rolling back the canopy in flight. Plus low wing LSA are easier to get in and out of and to refuel.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

jpb7216 wrote:I’ve flown both the Sierra and P2008 at the Midwest LSA Expo. I loved how both of them flew. They are sporty and well balanced on the controls. I didn’t notice much of a difference performance wise between the high wing verses the low wing so it’s personal preference. I really enjoyed flying them and I felt they were the best LSA’s I flew that weekend.

I can see your concerns about service and parts, that is one aspect that made us chose the RV-12 over the Sierra. They are still building a supply chain in the US. So you might have to wait a week or so for your parts to arrive from Italy.

The guys in Richmond are a great dealer and are very accommodating to your specific needs. However, the trouble begins when owners want specific brands and versions of avionics equipment and having “communication” and compatibility issues between the units once integrated into the Dynon Skyview.

Build quality is great. The wings and tail are made of aluminum so dings and hangar rash are easier to fix than its carbon counterparts. Fuse is composite.

They don’t sell a bunch stateside, but they are all the rage in Europe.

If I where to buy one, it would be the Sierra. I loved how it flew and the idea of rolling back the canopy in flight. Plus low wing LSA are easier to get in and out of and to refuel.
Awesome response….thanks! :D
artp

Post by artp »

You must have missed my posts complaining about support from HOV (Technam North America). Bottom line is after a year (6 months of it in the shop), they couldn't fix the avionics and electrical problems.

If you still want one I will sell you my 2010 Sierra with 75 hours (bought new March 2012 for $186,000) for $99,000.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Ouch!

I think this is what I was referring to when I said I'd heard some negative things about Tecnam.

There a few airplanes listed for sale which I note most often don't have full avionics installed. I've heard that Tecnam have some issues with installing the avionics you choose. i remember also on this board, a pilot who was buying a P2008 for him to use and fly as a demo for Tecnam and even he was having some 'issues'.

If you feel comfortable, can you expand on your experience?

Cheers, Howard
garbageman

Post by garbageman »

I have a 2008 P92 Eaglet. Was leased to Chesapeake Sport Pilot for 3 1/2 years. Took it out of leaseback in Jul of this year and moved it to a small grass airport closer to my home. It was the most flown airplane at CSP. Now on the second engine (first made TBO) and total time is 2650 hours. It held up very well in the training environment, no major issues. I helped with all of the maint, and can do a 100hr inspection with my eyes closed. No major problems with HoV, but understand some people have had issues. Tecnam parts are expensive, but no more so than from other OEM's. Now fly whenever the wx is good. It is amazing how little upkeep in necessary when there is only one pilot flying.
Yes, I would buy another one!

David
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Nomore767 wrote:Ouch!

I think this is what I was referring to when I said I'd heard some negative things about Tecnam.

There a few airplanes listed for sale which I note most often don't have full avionics installed. I've heard that Tecnam have some issues with installing the avionics you choose. i remember also on this board, a pilot who was buying a P2008 for him to use and fly as a demo for Tecnam and even he was having some 'issues'.

If you feel comfortable, can you expand on your experience?

Cheers, Howard
http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3052
http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2948
http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=806
dave
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

I’ve flown both Eaglets & Sierras. Have about 30 hours in each. I prefer the Sierra. I also have time in SportCrusers. I have flown several different Sierras including the one at CSP @ W29. I now fly out of KHWV.

I love the plane. Nice handling and better balanced controls than the SportCruiser my other favorite.

The two issues I am aware of are;

1.The plastic vent line on one collapsed causing fuel starvation in that tank. You check the vent during prefight (at the wing tip). The vent collapse caused a slight wing tank collapse. Tecnam would not honor the warrantee claiming it was a preflight issue. Other manufacturers use metal tubing.

2.The nose gear cannot absorb side loads. There were couple of nose gear failures on the school Sierras. Of course they were used by students. I always babied the node gear on landing holding it off as long as possible. The failures occurred when turning at high speed and braking to make a taxiway exit. I always straighten the nose wheel before braking. Part of the problem is that the nose gear is coupled to the rudder. Many pilots allowed the node gear to touchdown in a crosswind which applied a quick torque and side load. In a cross wind always straighten the rudder just before touchdown. This isn't an airliner.

The FBO removed the nose gear fairings to allow for better preflight inspection. On preflight grab the tire and wiggle it while observing the fork. Tecnam uses a two piece fork rather at a single u shaped one as other use.

See page 27 of the maintenance manual. See point 32 & lower point 33, they become loose.
https://wiki.umn.edu/pub/CirrusWing/Cir ... 8-2008.pdf

Edit:
Also note the exploded view on page 53 & 54
See page 60 Fuel systems.

BTW none of this would keep me from buying a Sierra if I had the money. I love it. You can find things wrong with any plane. None are perfect.
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Daidalos Greek: Δαίδαλος
Remember don't fly too close to the Sun.
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

Summer time in the Sierra.

All of the bubble canopy types can get very hot on while on the ground. The advantage of the sliding canopy on the Sierra is that you can taxi with the canopy open. We used to prop open the canopy with a seat cushion or book on the forward hinged canopy planes. Many of those have added shades.

Cabin airflow via the vents is fine during level cruise. You may notice cabin heating on long climbs or decents.

You can fly it with the canopy slightly open if at or below 90 kts. That is not in the flight manual anywhere. My instructor did it and several others I know. We used to tie a small string to the overhead latch to limit the canopy travel. I don't know if this is approved by the manufacturer but it was common practice on the field.

Here's a video demonstrating open canopy flight (about 2:20 into video). This is one of the actual plane that I flew but that's not me in the video. Note the glider on the right on final. They land on grass parallel to the runway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8NsN94Vbj0
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Daidalos Greek: Δαίδαλος
Remember don't fly too close to the Sun.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Yes, bubble canopies can be hot in the summertime, but nearly unlimited visibility is a nice upside. Suction cup shades or even tinting the very top helps, thought I've only used the former in my Sky Arrow.

My Grummans could also fly with the canopy slid back to a certain defined point, with a speed limitation, IIRC.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
eidolon45

Post by eidolon45 »

"I have a 2008 P92 Eaglet -- Was leased to Chesapeake Sport Pilot"

Dave,
It's been awhile since I trained at CSP, but I remember your plane pretty well. As I recall, you stayed with the "steam gauges" instead of opting for the more troublesome glass panels? In any event, your plane was popular since you took care of it so well. I have since moved on and bought my own plane (an Ercoupe) which I keep in Northern VA. I liked all the P-92 Tecnams at CSP (they had 4 or 5 at one time as well as a Sierra) and would have bought one if I could have afforded it. I do remember one had the glass panels and they seemed to have more trouble with that one.

Enjoying my Ercoupe immensely. It needed a lot of work to fully restore it and bring it up to date, but it flys very well now, and yes, I do take it cross country - last major trip to FL.

Jim
Tecnam Flyer