FAA Paperwork Backlog

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Dennis

FAA Paperwork Backlog

Post by Dennis »

I have been waiting for several months for my updated airworthiness certificate reflecting the change in N-numbers on my Skycatcher. I called AOPA and received some chilling information.

The paperwork backlog at FAA was running about three months behind prior to the government shutdown. Now it is considerably longer. In my case, I have a valid white copy airworthiness certificate that is valid until July 31, 2016. The only potential problem is that the N-number on the plane does not correspond to the one on the certificate. I carry a copy of the 8050-64 form I submitted in the plane in case I have a ramp check.

The backlog has serious implications for all pilots, Light Sport through ATP. An example would be someone who recently bought a plane. The pink certificate expires 90 days after sale. If the new owner hasn't received the white copy by then, his plane is, by definition, un-airworthy. AOPA is pushing hard for the FAA to grant extensions for paperwork actions that have expired or will expire shortly, but nothing is happening.

I hope none of our group members are affected by the delays.

Fly safely and often.

Dennis Persyk C-162 N900DP Based 68IS
Skycatcher Page http://users.foxvalley.net/~dpersyk/skycatcher.htm
YouTube Pattern Flight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVRBbWZr ... e=youtu.be
Merlinspop

Re: FAA Paperwork Backlog

Post by Merlinspop »

Dennis wrote:... An example would be someone who recently bought a plane. The pink certificate expires 90 days after sale. If the new owner hasn't received the white copy by then, his plane is, by definition, un-airworthy. AOPA is pushing hard for the FAA to grant extensions for paperwork actions that have expired or will expire shortly, but nothing is happening.

I wish I was eligible to be affected...
- Bruce
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Dennis wrote:I have been waiting for several months for my updated airworthiness certificate reflecting the change in N-numbers on my Skycatcher. I called AOPA and received some chilling information.

The paperwork backlog at FAA was running about three months behind prior to the government shutdown. Now it is considerably longer. In my case, I have a valid white copy airworthiness certificate that is valid until July 31, 2016. The only potential problem is that the N-number on the plane does not correspond to the one on the certificate. I carry a copy of the 8050-64 form I submitted in the plane in case I have a ramp check.

The backlog has serious implications for all pilots, Light Sport through ATP. An example would be someone who recently bought a plane. The pink certificate expires 90 days after sale. If the new owner hasn't received the white copy by then, his plane is, by definition, un-airworthy. AOPA is pushing hard for the FAA to grant extensions for paperwork actions that have expired or will expire shortly, but nothing is happening.

Fly safely and often.

Dennis Persyk C-162 N900DP Based 68IS
Skycatcher Page http://users.foxvalley.net/~dpersyk/skycatcher.htm
YouTube Pattern Flight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVRBbWZr ... e=youtu.be
Do you really mean airwortiness, or is registration?
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

3Dreaming wrote:
Do you really mean airwortiness, or is registration?[/quote]

Hi 3D,

I guess it's both. The present airworthiness certificate cites the wrong N-number because the Assignment of Special Registration Numbers form 8050-64 that I submitted long ago is jammed up at FAA. Does that answer your question? I didn't make that clear in my post.

Dennis
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

So, you changed the numbers on the airplane before you had the paperwork? I think I might have waited until all the paperwork was in order.