Affordable ADS-B out

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Affordable ADS-B out

Post by drseti »

My sympathies. I lost my sister three years ago. She was only 65. Those in our generation are constantly being reminded of our own mortality.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Delete...
Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

MovingOn wrote:That's possible, but it could be just the opposite. It's real easy to get complacent when flying along and not seeing anything in the windshield. With traffic showing up on your screen, you might be more vigilant looking for the traffic you KNOW is out there somewhere. It's somewhat like having someone in the seat next to you helping look for traffic.
What he said :D

Also, note in my prior both I mentioned I got a verbal warning which then brought my attention to the screen, then back outside to find the traffic.

The display of traffic is conducive to just adding it to your scan as opposed to staring at it. Vectors are shown and colors used to indicated threat levels.
dave
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Delete...
Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

dstclair wrote:The display of traffic is conducive to just adding it to your scan as opposed to staring at it.
And that's certainly the prudent, and most appropriate, way to use these wonderful new tools. Unfortunately, I've flown with far too many pilots who never once look outside until reaching decision height. This is most common when flying in VMC on an IFR flight plan, and usually in aircraft equipped with the most advanced avionics available (which in VMC is no substitute for the two crude optical collision avoidance devices the good lord issued to each of us).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
cogito

Post by cogito »

MovingOn wrote:With traffic showing up on your screen, you might be more vigilant looking for the traffic you KNOW is out there somewhere. It's somewhat like having someone in the seat next to you helping look for traffic.
I agree. My GF keeps an eye on the iPad as well as outside and when she sees a target she calls it out, we see much more near traffic than we used to when we had only eyeballs. Think of it like eyeglasses, I assume we're all comfortable with that technology to help us see other aircraft.

A number of times we had traffic coming up behind us were able to avoid because of ADS-B. Last week a biplane never saw us even after the tower repeatedly told our position and asked him to slow down and then do a 360. If we weren't in class D I'd certainly have been glad to have the early warning. Yesterday we did our own large 360 to let a plane pass that was getting dangerously close. I can't wait until everyone (I live in a mode C veil) has ADS-B.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

" Now that I have traffic, I consider it a great tool to have in busy airspace like my home DFW area."

Dave's point can extrapolate nicely to less 'FAA managed' airspace than the Class B's. And I think we can all agree that 'eyes outside' and 'see and avoid' - more like 'see TO avoid' - doesn't become less important simply because we have a traffic advisory system. But here's my hunch: Until those who fly in a dense traffic environment actually use a traffic advisory system, it's not really possible to know how useful it can be. At least that's certainly true for me.

If you look on a sectional at the area between Jacksonville and Cape Canaveral, which has one small Class C and a small collection of Class D airspaces, you'll be looking at an extraordinarily dense training area. At Daytona, Embry Riddle even has what is essentially it's own runway due to their traffic load alone. And most of those students scurry right outside the small controlled airspace columns (including at almost all those uncontrolled and Class D airspaces) so they can do their various maneuvers while not talking to a soul and while concentrating far more on controlling the a/c than avoiding other traffic. I've had a number of near misses along that corridor for that reason, and the Daytona and Orlando Tracon folks can't spend all their time keeping little ol' me out of hot water given their workload. I wasn't a big fan of TA systems in little planes for just the reason Paul mentions...until I flew that corridor the first time with a Stratus II. Good grief, it was even worse than I imagined! Who knows how many near misses I've experienced...
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

MovingOn -- how's your Skyguard unit working for you?

Went out on a beautiful 65 degree day today along with most pilots in the DFW area. I could see all sorts of traffic vectors in patterns around nearby airports. Also had several in my general area that the unit saw way before me. Maybe I need to work on the 'see' part of 'see and avoid' :)

Very worthwhile investment for me.
dave
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Does the iFly app support (configuration-wise), the transmitter only device?
dave
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

MovingOn wrote:
dstclair wrote:Does the iFly app support (configuration-wise), the transmitter only device?
Not exactly. I purchased an IPhone 4 to control the SkyGuard transmitter and set the squawk codes, etc. The IFly GPS app will work with several different receivers, but to use the embedded SkyGuard control panel, you need the SkyGuard transceiver. It would have worked fine with my Dual XGPS170 receiver and SkyGuard transmitter, but would need the phone to change squawk codes. I decided I wanted a simpler solution and only one device.

Edit: Maybe I didn't understand the question. Yes, you can use the IFly GPS app to do the configuration setup of the SkyGuard transmitter. I installed the IFly GPS app on my Droid Razr Maxx phone for this purpose.
You answered the question. thanks.
dave
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.