Affordable ADS-B out

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

Re: Affordable ADS-B out

Post by Warmi »

I am gonna replace my current Garmin GTX 327 with GTX 335 + GPS ( about $3K) which will give me complete ADS-B out.
I already have Garmin GDL 39R installed with Area 796 + iPad/Garmin Pilot for ADS-B in so I think I should be set.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote:I am gonna replace my current Garmin GTX 327 with GTX 335 + GPS ( about $3K) which will give me complete ADS-B out.
I already have Garmin GDL 39R installed with Area 796 + iPad/Garmin Pilot for ADS-B in so I think I should be set.
I also thought about the 335 until I saw the GDL-82.

The GDL-82 is also COMPLETE ADS-B out for only $1795 and will work with any transponder currently available. Just food for thought but it is your money. :D
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

I currently have the non-2020 compliant Skyguard ADS-B out. Works fine for now in that it wakes up the ground stations and get traffic from my GDL-39 3D/Aera 795. Right now I'm leaning just replace the Skyguard with a GDL-82. Very clean, no new antennas. Probably 1-2 hours to install. What I would like to affordably do is replace the GDL-39 3D and Skyguard with a single unit. A potential winner is the UAvionix EchoUAT ($1400 with GPS), which is tiny unit that is ADS-B in/out. No new antenna to install for my plane and would simplify the setup (and power draw). Currently does NOT transmit weather/traffic to Garmin 795/796/660 which would be a deal breaker. They are in talks with Garmin so I'm hopeful. https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/produ ... houat.aspx.

My current plan is install in about 16 months.
dave
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

dstclair wrote:I currently have the non-2020 compliant Skyguard ADS-B out. Works fine for now in that it wakes up the ground stations and get traffic from my GDL-39 3D/Aera 795. Right now I'm leaning just replace the Skyguard with a GDL-82. Very clean, no new antennas. Probably 1-2 hours to install. What I would like to affordably do is replace the GDL-39 3D and Skyguard with a single unit. A potential winner is the UAvionix EchoUAT ($1400 with GPS), which is tiny unit that is ADS-B in/out. No new antenna to install for my plane and would simplify the setup (and power draw). Currently does NOT transmit weather/traffic to Garmin 795/796/660 which would be a deal breaker. They are in talks with Garmin so I'm hopeful. https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/produ ... houat.aspx.

My current plan is install in about 16 months.
The EchoUAT DOES have an external monopole antenna that you have to install. It's in the install manual. That was the reason I didn't go that route. I didn't want to install any more antennas either.

And you are correct, it does not transmit to the 796/795/660. Maybe one day it will but it's Garmins own proprietary protocol from what I understand.

Since EVERYTHING else in my panel is Garmin I wanted the same GREAT Garmin equipment. And the $500 rebate will make it even more affordable. :mrgreen:
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

The EchoUAT DOES have an external monopole antenna that you have to install. It's in the install manual. That was the reason I didn't go that route. I didn't want to install any more antennas either.
Yup. I've got one already being used by one of the units I'll pull out.
And you are correct, it does not transmit to the 796/795/660. Maybe one day it will but it's Garmins own proprietary protocol from what I understand.
My hope is that the EchoUAT will be able to use the Flightstream 110/210 products to transmit to Garmin displays. Garmin did open up the protocol with Foreflight so there is a glimmer of hope.
dave
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote:
Warmi wrote:I am gonna replace my current Garmin GTX 327 with GTX 335 + GPS ( about $3K) which will give me complete ADS-B out.
I also thought about the 335 until I saw the GDL-82.

The GDL-82 is also COMPLETE ADS-B out for only $1795 and will work with any transponder currently available. Just food for thought but it is your money. :D
I was thinking to sell 327 and basically get close to your price point but with a new transponder but ....will see ... your option does sound interesting :)
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote: I was thinking to sell 327 and basically get close to your price point but with a new transponder but ....will see ... your option does sound interesting :)
Keep in mind a used 327 is going for around $500 these days. I paid $550 for mine a few months back and it's near perfect. :mrgreen:
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

I've installed an aera 660 and GDL 39R for ADS-B In, and plan to use my existing GTX 327 and GDL 82 (when it's available)for ADS-B Out.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote:
Warmi wrote: I was thinking to sell 327 and basically get close to your price point but with a new transponder but ....will see ... your option does sound interesting :)
Keep in mind a used 327 is going for around $500 these days. I paid $550 for mine a few months back and it's near perfect. :mrgreen:
Hmm.. having researched it more, you were right, gdl 82 is the way to go. No additional antenna required and , combined with 327 , does everything I need it to do.
Thanks
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Scooper wrote:I've installed an aera 660 and GDL 39R for ADS-B In, and plan to use my existing GTX 327 and GDL 82 (when it's available)for ADS-B Out.
I have the same awesome setup Scooper. The GDL-82 will complete the entire setup and the install is incredibly simple. When I did a complete avionics upgrade I ran most of the wires needed for the GDL-82 to where I'm mounting it.

FYI, they are available now. They started shipping to dealers on the 15th.

I went to Garmin's website and searched their dealer network. Started calling dealers and the 8th phone call yeilded a winner. It was even one state over so no tax. My GDLis shipping out tomorrow for delivery next week. :mrgreen:

I have until 2/2/18 to get it installed and pass their performance test for the $500 rebate. :D
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote: Hmm.. having researched it more, you were right, gdl 82 is the way to go. No additional antenna required and , combined with 327 , does everything I need it to do.
Thanks
Glad to have helped. I drank the Garmin Kool-Aid long ago and think it's the best unit available for the price. :mrgreen: (especially with my reserved $500 rebate)

I have the Aera 660, GTR-200 COM with the built in intercom (works amazing) and a 327 along with the GDL-39 3D. Love it all.

There are waiting lists for the GDL-82 but if you make some calls you can find one. I did.

The GDL-82 breathes life back into the older transponders.

Would I like a GTX-335 or GTX-345, of course but for the money the GDL-82 is a real winner.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

ShawnM wrote:
Scooper wrote:I've installed an aera 660 and GDL 39R for ADS-B In, and plan to use my existing GTX 327 and GDL 82 (when it's available)for ADS-B Out.
I have the same awesome setup Scooper. The GDL-82 will complete the entire setup and the install is incredibly simple. When I did a complete avionics upgrade I ran most of the wires needed for the GDL-82 to where I'm mounting it.

FYI, they are available now. They started shipping to dealers on the 15th.

I went to Garmin's website and searched their dealer network. Started calling dealers and the 8th phone call yeilded a winner. It was even one state over so no tax. My GDLis shipping out tomorrow for delivery next week. :mrgreen:

I have until 2/2/18 to get it installed and pass their performance test for the $500 rebate. :D
Aircraft Spruce indicates they'll have a shipment of GDL 82s in early February. I've bought all my avionics from AS&S and am pretty happy with them.

If Garmin is shipping to dealers, you'd think they would have GDL 82 manuals on their website for download. It would be nice to scope out my installation with manuals before I receive the hardware.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Scooper wrote:Aircraft Spruce indicates they'll have a shipment of GDL 82s in early February. I've bought all my avionics from AS&S and am pretty happy with them.

If Garmin is shipping to dealers, you'd think they would have GDL 82 manuals on their website for download. It would be nice to scope out my installation with manuals before I receive the hardware.
They are out there AND if you can wait then good for you. I'm on a rebate deadline and couldn't wait for AS&S. I buy nearly everything from them as well. I also shop at Lockwood as it's only about a 35 minute flight away. :mrgreen:

The GDL-82 install manual can be found here:
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01810-00_03.pdf

The setup software for your laptop to configure the GDL-82 can be found here:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... p?id=12839

Hope this helps. :D
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

ShawnM wrote:
The GDL-82 install manual can be found here:
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01810-00_03.pdf

The setup software for your laptop to configure the GDL-82 can be found here:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... p?id=12839

Hope this helps. :D
You bet it does! Thanks!
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

The reason the EchoUAT requires an antenna is because it's dual band, 978MHz and 1090MHz. The GDL-82 is 978MHz only.

I agree that the GDL-82 is very simple and elegant, but it's also $400 more than the EchoUAT and is single band only. My install will likely be EchoUAT or the GDL-82, but frankly the only reason I'm considering the -82 is because I use Garmin Pilot and it would keep me from having to buy a GDL-39.

CORRECTION: I'd still have to buy a GDL-39 for IN services, so the GDL-39 is just flat $400 more expensive than the EchoUAT.

If you're not using GP, I think the features and price of the EchoUAT win out.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA