Affordable ADS-B out

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

Re: Affordable ADS-B out

Post by dstclair »

Expect a few much needed privacy updates over the next couple years for ADS-B out. From Avweb:
....The tentative solution, according to the Journal, is for the system to change its aircraft-specific identifying codes, perhaps daily or weekly, to prevent the public from identifying specific ADS-B transmissions as belonging to particular aircraft.

For the longer term, government and industry experts are studying ways to encrypt the data, to...
dave
designrs

Post by designrs »

I've heard of some ADS-B units that offer the pilot the option to transmit an anonymous signal OUT or switch the ID is to active in a required area.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

The anonymous mode is allowable if the aircraft is squawking 1200 although support of this feature is not mandatory. Skyguard does not support it :(
dave
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

designrs wrote:I've heard of some ADS-B units that offer the pilot the option to transmit an anonymous signal OUT or switch the ID is to active in a required area.
There is an "anonymous" mode for ADS-B for aircraft squawking 1200. In the Garmin GDL-84 setup I'm considering, a toggle switch for anonymous mode is on installed in the panel. If I do that installation that sucker will be in anonymous mode about 90% of the time, since I rarely use flight following or otherwise talk to ATC.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
designrs

Post by designrs »

dstclair wrote:The anonymous mode is allowable if the aircraft is squawking 1200 although support of this feature is not mandatory. Skyguard does not support it :(
SkyGuard allows setting the of the N number.
I wonder if there is a legal generic value setting that could be set like N00000?
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Obviously, one can set the N-number to whatever you want but that is certain to be a violation of some reg.
dave
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Yet another example for the benefits of ADS-B In/Out traffic.

The other day I was flying at cruise in a busy costal area.
ADS-B indicated faster aircraft 8 o'clock 1,000 feet above and descending.
Then very quickly 700' above descending, direct course for me.

I turned to the right and descended.
Never saw him with my eyes ever... and especially would never have seen him at at 8 o'clock.

The situational awareness of ADS-B is awesome!
I will not fly without it.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
drseti

Post by drseti »

Happy Boxing Day, everybody.
Now, did Santa bring anyone any ADS-B equipment?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

designrs wrote: The situational awareness of ADS-B is awesome!
I will not fly without it.
I agree it's very cool. But you will ground your airplane if the ADS-B setup fails?

Seems a bit...extreme.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

drseti wrote:Happy Boxing Day, everybody.
Now, did Santa bring anyone any ADS-B equipment?
Yes -- I upgraded my GDL-39 to a GDL-39 3D which adds attitude and pressure altitude (from inside the cabin) to my Garmin 795 (and Garmin Pilot App). This makes my 795 a fairly descent backup glass panel except it has ground speed vs. airspeed. I also like the Synthetic Vision display with true attitude. Aircraft Spruce has a "Trade Up" program and Garmin had a rebate so I got the unit for basically half price -- $450 net.

I have the GDL-39 and my Skyguard transmitter mounted in my closed baggage area which requires removing the seats and one of the ski tube storage units. Big PITA that takes a couple hours. I figured if I needed to do this to swap the 39's then I'd pull the Skyguard unit out to have it upgraded so it will wake up ground stations after the first of the year. Don offered to upgrade the firmware and GPS to make it compliant for $50. Would not be 2020 compliant but would put the upgrade off a few more years.

The FAA is upgrading the the ADS-B system to:
TIS-B/ADS-R Client Status logic will be modified to only provide TIS-B/ADS-R client status to aircraft broadcasting ADS-B with NACp>4, NACv>0, SDA>0, SIL>0, and NIC>4.
Skyguard and I were under the impression my unit would have SIL and SDA set to zero. I decided to check my specific output with the Garmin Pilot App (pretty neat little feature) and my salient values are:
NIC : 11 (< 7.5M), NACp : 10 (< 10M), NACv : 3 (< 1M/S), SDA : 1 (D), SIL : 3 (<= 0.0000001
Turns out my transmitter will continue to work without modification! This saves me disassembling and reassembling the interior twice! Pretty good Christmas present.
dave
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Apparently, even the military is having problems funding and may not make the 2020 mandate:
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016 ... 700&rank=5
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Reviving an old topic.....

Just ordered my Garmin GDL-82 and hope to have it next week to install in my SportCruiser (E-LSA). I also applied for the FAA rebate back in September so my $1795 purchase will become $1295 for an incredible ADS-B out option. It will interface with my GTX-327 and my Aera 660 perfectly. Coupled with my GDL-39 3D for ADS-B in, I have everything a growing boy needs now. :mrgreen:

What are others using if not already equipped by the LSA manufacturer?
Last edited by ShawnM on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.