Affordable ADS-B out

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

ShawnM

Re: Affordable ADS-B out

Post by ShawnM »

Wm.Ince wrote:
drseti wrote:
ShawnM wrote: You need a 978 UAT OUT transmitter to wake up the ground stations to transmit the complete traffic picture to you. It's not a matter of reception.
That's not entirely correct . . . . . with a dual-band receiver, you can get traffic directly from all participating aircraft, even when you're out of range of a ground station.
Thank you for covering that oversight.
Correct and the keyword being “participating”. Air to air won’t how you the person flying around with only a transponder on. That’s what I meant by a complete picture using the ground stations to send you “all” traffic, even the guy without ads-b and only his transponder. :D

The TIS-B traffic broadcast by the ground stations utilizes both ADS-B data and radar data.

Being as low as 1500 feet, nearly the entire US is blanketed by coverage. You’d have to be in a pretty remote location or mountains to be out of range. Here in Florida the entire state is covered at a mere 500 feet. :mrgreen:
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

ShawnM wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:I think we all understand ADS-B by now and what the 2020 mandate requires.
To quote Paul “That’s not entirely correct” :mrgreen:

Maybe here on this forum they might but there are a few “old timers” at my home airport who might want to read up a bit.

My airport is inside the mode c veil of Tampa Intenationl but not in class b airspace. These guys think because they never fly in class b airspace they don’t need to comply with the mandate. Go figure.

To quote Jason Schappert “a good pilot is always learning” :mrgreen:
I'm talking about people here on this forum, not old timers at your airport.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote: I'm talking about people here on this forum, not old timers at your airport.
I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone by providing more info than was requested - that tendency is a carryour from 45 years of teaching. ;)

Fact is, there are folks of all levels of skill, knowledge, and experience - not just at the airport, but on this forum. I seek to be inclusive. If something I post isn't useful to a given member, he or she should just skip it.

For decades, I used to give monthly WINGS safety seminars on a variety of topics (including this one) to maybe a dozen people in a room. That's a very small reach for a tremendous amount of preparation and effort. This forum has allowed me to expand my reach and effectiveness. The EAA Webinar series has further expanded my reach - once every two months I get up to 1000 prople in the room (and who knows how many more on the reruns). And the work required is about the same as if I were preparing a PPT show for a dozen folks in a small conference room. Doesn't every aging rocker dream of a larger audience?

And BTW, we get old timers here too; it's not just on the airport (I know, Tim - you and I are two of them...)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

drseti wrote:
TimTaylor wrote: I'm talking about people here on this forum, not old timers at your airport.
I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone by providing more info than was requested......
Same goes for me. We can all learn something from these forums. There are hundreds if not thousands of people on these forums who are too afraid to ask a question because they think it's a dumb question, there's no such thing.

I know this ADS-B thing can get beat to death sometimes but when I see a post from someone who might be confused I also try to help. (I'm NOT a teacher) If it bores some of you then as Paul said skip it. I'm sure there are many who still need an education on this subject. It's clear to me reading this topic that not everyone fully understands ADS-B and how it works. Including me, I'm no expert on the subject either. I've just done a lot of homework on it so I can better understand how and why it works, not just that we need to equip by 2020.

I have learned so much from the 3 aviation forums I belong to over my short flying days and aircraft ownership. Is there anything wrong with paying it forward?
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I didn't mean to offend anyone either, but I probably did. Sorry.
Retired from flying.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

ShawnM wrote: I'm waiting on UPS right now for my GDL-82.
Shawn, is your GDL 82 installed, and if so how difficult was the installation?

TIA
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Scooper wrote:Shawn, is your GDL 82 installed, and if so how difficult was the installation?
Hi Stan,

Yes, it's installed and works great. Since I now wake up the ground base towers my GDL-39 3D receives the complete traffic picture (dual band receiver) and displays it on my Aera 660. (as well as my iPhone and iPad running foreflight when I use it for backup)

Very, very easy install. Mine took a bit longer as I had to make an avionics shelf behind the copilot panel since I didn't have one from the factory, only on the pilots side. I also added a dedicated push/pull 5A circuit breaker. The other option is to wire it to your transponder power so they are both on at the same time, providing you have the proper circuit breaker rating.

Avionics shelf:
avionics_shelf.jpg
avionics_shelf.jpg (37.52 KiB) Viewed 17005 times

If you dont install the optional "push to test" button and the anonymous switch it'll go even faster. I installed both.

Here's the copilot panel showing the dedicated circuit breaker, far right one on the bottom and the optional switches (anonymous mode and push to test) are to the right of the Dynon EMS.
co-pilot panel.jpg
co-pilot panel.jpg (60.53 KiB) Viewed 17005 times

If you plan on installing this yourself be sure you have a high density d-sub pin crimper. The unit has a 15 pin high density connector. You'll also need 4 antenna connectors, 2 BNC and 2 TNC along with some RG-400 cable. Minimum 6.5 feet just for the GPS antenna and another piece to install between your transponder and the GDL-82.

I mounted my antenna under the cowling on an antenna shelf I installed for both my GPS antennas. Seen here:
antenna shelf.jpg
antenna shelf.jpg (57.98 KiB) Viewed 17005 times
The wiring is very easy. Basically power, ground, the USB connector (this is a 6" pigtail that's included) for programming and two wires for the optional switches/buttons.

Once installed you power it up and run the GDL-82 programming software. You then program in your tail number, flight category, stall speed, tell if if you have the optional inputs wired, how far from the nose of the airplane the antenna is located in feet and if you have a single or dual band receiver.

The software is very easy to navigate and you can also monitor the GPS signals and and status. You also use the software for any firmware updates to the GDL-82.

I'd highly recommend the GDL-82 to anyone considering other equipment. This ADS-B unit is top notch.

Hope this helps.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

That's great, Shawn, and that's a mighty fine looking installation!

I have the Aera 660 and GDL 39R installed. Next is the GDL 82 and I'll be done.

Thanks!
Stan
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
WDD

Post by WDD »

1) Would not engine heat interfere / cause issues with the GPS antennas?

2) Why 2 GPS antennas?

3) In what situations would you want to switch to "anonymous" ?
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Scooper wrote:That's great, Shawn, and that's a mighty fine looking installation!

I have the Aera 660 and GDL 39R installed. Next is the GDL 82 and I'll be done.

Thanks!
Stan
Thank you Stan, I'm very happy with the install and the GDL-82.

Love the Aera 660 and the GDL-39 3D!
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

WDD wrote:1) Would not engine heat interfere / cause issues with the GPS antennas?

2) Why 2 GPS antennas?

3) In what situations would you want to switch to "anonymous" ?
Hi WDD,

1 - If you look at the antenna shelf it's 2 layers. The bottom layer has a heat shield liner on the bottom to keep the heat/temps down. The heat hasn't been an issue. The antenna is rated to 185°F.

2 - The second GPS antenna is the external mount antenna for my Area 660, it's the GA-25MCX.

3 - I use "anonymous mode" when I'm transporting several kilos of coke (a-cola) up from south Florida. :mrgreen: That was a joke if the DEA is reading this. :mrgreen:

Some people are worried about "big brother" watching them so many of the ADS-B out boxes offer anonymous mode when you are squawking 1200. It only works when you are squawking 1200. The ADS-B out still relays your position, speed and altitude but generates a random ICAO address instead of your own aircrafts ICAO address and it generates a temporary N number.

Again, only while you are squawking 1200. If you are on flight following with an assigned squawk code then anonymous mode is disabled and does not work even if the switch is on. When you are squawking an assigned code from ATC then your ICAO address and N number are sent to ATC.

You can run but you can't hide. :mrgreen:
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Scooper wrote:........I have the Aera 660 and GDL 39R installed. Next is the GDL 82 and I'll be done.

Thanks!
Stan
Just following up Stan, did you get your GDL-82 installed? I couldn't find a post from you on your install or if you are waiting for something better.

And for the record I had to move my GDL-82 GPS antenna from my original mounting location under the cowling to the top of the fuselage behind the canopy. I was getting GPS shadowing from the airframe and spotty signals. It's all good now and every PAPR report comes back perfect everytime.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

ShawnM wrote:Just following up Stan, did you get your GDL-82 installed? I couldn't find a post from you on your install or if you are waiting for something better.

And for the record I had to move my GDL-82 GPS antenna from my original mounting location under the cowling to the top of the fuselage behind the canopy. I was getting GPS shadowing from the airframe and spotty signals. It's all good now and every PAPR report comes back perfect everytime.
I haven't gotten around to installing the GDL 82 yet, Shawn; too much to do and so little time. Hopefully I'll get it done before my annual Thanksgiving trip to Albuquerque. The plan is to mount the GPS antenna on top of the fuselage just behind the canopy where it should have a clear view of the GPS constellation from horizon to horizon.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Thanks for the update Stan, I was just curious. Hope you get it installed for your trip, it'll come in handy for sure on that long cross country. Here's my new antenna location like you are planning. This is just behind my canopy and in front of my ELT antenna.
ABS-B GPS Antenna (Small).jpg
ABS-B GPS Antenna (Small).jpg (53.77 KiB) Viewed 15120 times
The GDL antenna is now in the same hole that my COM antenna was in. I moved my new Rami bent whip COM antenna to the belly opposite of my new Rami blade transponder antenna. All works perfect now.