Vans RV-12 S-LSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Vans RV-12 S-LSA

Post by designrs »

Announcement from Van's:

Dear Prospective RV-12 Owner,

Thank you for expressing interest in the Van's Aircraft RV-12 S-LSA. We have received your request to be on the interest list and we are excited to announce that the next batch of 12 aircraft will be released for sale on November 1st, 2013. These 12 aircraft will be assigned to the first buyers to submit a completed Sales Agreement. Official order and contract information will be sent in a subsequent email, however you can look forward the following new options:

-New Paint Color Options: Same great paint scheme with a handful of new color options to customize your plane

-New Pricing Structure: Options will include ADS-B, Two Axis Auto Pilot, Standard or Premium Paint, and Wheel Pants

-Signature Option: If you purchase a fully equipped RV-12 S-LSA you will have the option to have Van’s signature on the fuselage.

-Accessories: A Sunshade, Tow Bar/Gust Lock, and Canopy Cover will be available as additional accessories

Keep an eye on your inbox for more information as the November 1st date approaches.

Good Luck,

RV-12 S-LSA Team
Van's Aircraft
Merlinspop

Re: Vans RV-12 S-LSA

Post by Merlinspop »

designrs wrote:Announcement from Van's:

Dear Prospective RV-12 Owner,

Thank you for expressing interest in the Van's Aircraft RV-12 S-LSA. We have received your request to be on the interest list and we are excited to announce that the next batch of 12 aircraft will be released for sale on November 1st, 2013. These 12 aircraft will be assigned to the first buyers to submit a completed Sales Agreement. Official order and contract information will be sent in a subsequent email, however you can look forward the following new options:

-New Paint Color Options: Same great paint scheme with a handful of new color options to customize your plane

-New Pricing Structure: Options will include ADS-B, Two Axis Auto Pilot, Standard or Premium Paint, and Wheel Pants

-Signature Option: If you purchase a fully equipped RV-12 S-LSA you will have the option to have Van’s signature on the fuselage.

-Accessories: A Sunshade, Tow Bar/Gust Lock, and Canopy Cover will be available as additional accessories

Keep an eye on your inbox for more information as the November 1st date approaches.

Good Luck,

RV-12 S-LSA Team
Van's Aircraft
Sweeet!

ADS-B...GOOD!
New paint options are nice, too. The accessories are no brainers, too...at least for me. I would NOT want Van to sign the outside of the plane, but would want him to sign somewhere like inside the tailcone or somewhere. As long as that wasn't too expensive. ;-)

Makes me want to consider trying to form a club or something.
- Bruce
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

This seems to be an interesting way to go, sell 12 planes then build them, then sell another 12 and build them, never taking on too much risk and incrementay improving each batch, what a clever business model especially for a complex low rate production product.

I have flown the RV-12 S-LSA and it was clearly the nicest of any S-LSA that I have flown including, dare I say, my DA40 for which I am contracted to for another 30 months otherwise i would be forking over my deposit.

IMHO the RV-12 has eclipsed the Bristell in all aspects, except perhaps interior finish, which is many tens of thousands of dollars more expensive.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

My only complaint on the RV-12 is the lack of a chute which is a requirement from my household CFO (and chief passenger).
dave
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

c162pilot wrote:This seems to be an interesting way to go, sell 12 planes then build them, then sell another 12 and build them, never taking on too much risk and incrementay improving each batch, what a clever business model especially for a complex low rate production product.
This is a GREAT way to smooth out production of kits. Keep kit production steady, stockpile excess, and every time you get X number in excess inventory (or slow spots in the order book), announce another S-LSA batch. Demand remains high and no one knows if this is the 'last batch', so that these batches sell out quickly.

Just guessing.
- Bruce
designrs

Post by designrs »

I've never flown an RV-12 but I did have the opportunity to go up in a RV-9A and was thoroughly impressed! Besides the obvious horsepower and weight issues, can anyone comment from experience and share some comparisons between the models (particularly relative to flight characteristics, flight experience and visibility)?
David

Post by David »

dstclair wrote:My only complaint on the RV-12 is the lack of a chute which is a requirement from my household CFO (and chief passenger).
Chute is coming to a theater near you soon :mrgreen: . But you give up 30 ish lbs due to the weight. :( I have talked to BRS and considering putting one on my 12. The have it out for the RV 7 and RV 9
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

This is great news on many fronts.

Remember: Vans doesn't build the S-LSA RV-12. It's a contract build, undoubtedly at an agreed-on cost. So there's even less risk than might be apparent.

My impressions of the -12 in flight were very positive. Harmonious controls, superb viz, better view of the ground than in most low-wings due to the seat vs. wing positioning, (relatively) better useful load and speed than most of its competitors.

"IMHO the RV-12 has eclipsed the Bristell in all aspects, except perhaps interior finish, which is many tens of thousands of dollars more expensive."
And let's remember: the owner of an S-LSA RV-12 can move it into the E-LSA category. Which means you can spruce up the interior, add whatever you like in lower-cost non-certified gizmos and parts, all while having by far the most complete documentation on how the a/c is assembled simply by buying the build manual. Having said that, this is not really different from buying a used E-LSA RV-12 for perhaps less money, assuming an experienced Vans builder helps do the pre-buy.

I'm really happy for the Vans folks...and some lucky LSA buyers.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

CTLSi wrote:The RV-12 is a joke. All metal? 912ULS? Low wing? Hot bubble canopy cockpit? Sensinich prop (due to size known to kick rocks from ther unway into the engine and prop).
Then why is it selling so well? Sure, its not a CTLS... but as we discussed in other posts, it meets a completely different niche/use case.

I say good for anybody who can manufacture and continue selling an LSA. And good for promoting some great competition at one hell of a price point.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

But it is more dangerous to fly without the BRS, and the limitations of range, baggage, and the low wing, hot cockpit design take this product out of practical use as a transportation device, or going somewhere more than 100nm from your home airport. Unless you wanna travel in discomfort, and hop between airports
I don't have an RV-12 but I do have one of those inferior low wing designs :D

I also didn't know how uncomfortable I've been on several 500nm trips with 60lbs of baggage and my better half (and sometimes a very spoiled Shih Tzu). Here, I thought I was enjoying myself -- guess I was wrong :lol:
dave
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

The CT is a nice enough plane and I have a friend who has flown his cross country and I know it flew great. That said, I have flown the RV-12 and it flies great. I would also point you to Mitch Lock from Van's who flies his cross country all over the country from his hangar in MD as the east coast sales rep for Van's. I would also disagree with the assertion that one needs a high wing or a chute to fly cross country. I am not downplaying the value of the chute but it is a personal choice.

I own a Gobosh 700 (Aero AT-4). I have flow it from Colorado to Florida, to Oshkosh a couple times, to Tucson, Albuquerque. last weekend to Mt Rushmore, and all over the area. The flat out statement that anything that isn't a high wing and doesn't have a chute can't fly cross country is just an opinion. Everyone has their own and mine is that if you enjoy what you fly cross country then it works.

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
designrs

Post by designrs »

CTLSi wrote:The RV-12 is a joke. All metal? 912ULS? Low wing? Hot bubble canopy cockpit? Sensinich prop (due to size known to kick rocks from ther unway into the engine and prop).

It's a kit plane. Sure you can sign up for the factory to build one for you, but why?

This is yet another example of a toy not an aircraft suitable for both local and cross country flying. Especially if it doesn have a BRS, and has a lowly 50lbs baggage stow. If you want to get into this kind of trouble, try to get one of the soon to be disappearing Skycatchers.

Oh, and the design is not even original. The defunct Zodiak already tried this approach.
I prefer all metal, and so do many flight schools should a repair need arise. I also prefer low wing and a bubble canopy for a sportier aircraft experience. I'm a sports car guy and I want a sporty feeling aircraft. Mini-vans have no apeal to me despite their utility. The low-wing configuration may not be right for you if you want shade and wide access, yet plenty of very popular aircraft have this configuration and to slam them as toys is not right. There are 1,000's of Van's RV guys flying all over the country in this low-wing/bubble configuration. Comparisons to discontinued or defunct aircraft are not valid either. Vans has a very high following.

Baggage comparison to other low-wing LSA aircraft:
RV-12: 50 pounds of baggage behind the seat.
SportCruiser: 40 pounds behind the seat but also has small wing lockers that can hold 22 pounds each.
SportStar Max can hold 55 pounds baggage.

I tend to travel heavy and two 25-pound duffle bags are a decent size load.
If solo with baggage in any of these planes you could strap in a 150 pound duffle bag in the right seat.

To chute or not to chute? Some people want it, some don't. To me it would depend on usefull load requirements vs. off-field terrain risk where you usually fly.

What's are the issues with the prop configuration? I'm not familiar.