Skycatcher's End

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Merlinspop

Re: Skycatcher's End

Post by Merlinspop »

FastEddieB wrote:Why on landing?
Because that's how it works in X-Plane? :lol:
- Bruce
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

CTLSi wrote: Right rudder is needed on both takeoff and landing due to these effects.
You have to stop giving advice on how to fly when it is backwards. Right rudder on landings is backwards, most of us trim for left rudder on approach to land and most of us do not land at full power.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CharlieTango wrote:
CTLSi wrote: Right rudder is needed on both takeoff and landing due to these effects.
You have to stop giving advice on how to fly when it is backwards. Right rudder on landings is backwards, most of us trim for left rudder on approach to land and most of us do not land at full power.
We do have one guy here that seems to forget to reduce throttle on about half of his landings. The pull up on his go around is quite impressive. I'll ask if he uses right rudder for those approaches, but I bet he doesn't. :lol:
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Hi Ed,

I don't get it? What am I missing?
I have to use right rudder on take off and landings or I yaw to the left. That's with or without throttle use. The CT's here use right rudder to keep straight on landings. The instructors here teach more right rudder on landings. Without right rudder on take off the P factor involvement would be terrible.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

roger lee wrote:Hi Ed,

I don't get it? What am I missing?
I have to use right rudder on take off and landings or I yaw to the left. That's with or without throttle use. The CT's here use right rudder to keep straight on landings. The instructors here teach more right rudder on landings. Without right rudder on take off the P factor involvement would be terrible.
Truth is in a CT we use or need left rudder or more left rudder trim for our descent if we want to be coordinated. If the power is reduced or set to idle you need to compensate with left rudder. The actual landing rudder input is dictated by wind direction, if the wind is from the right you need a low right wing and left rudder by touchdown to not side load the gear.

Left for descent to be coordinated and right or left as needed for alignment by touchdown. You 'could' use right rudder from the beginning if you slip the approach in a left crosswind.

Takeoffs require a lot of right rudder, a left climbing upwind turn might even need right rudder.

Teaching right rudder for landings is wrong even if your winds consistently require it, how about when the student lands with a right crosswind, that is right wing low and left rudder to counter the turning tendency and maintain alignment?
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

CharlieTango wrote:
Yeah, when I go to idle abeam the numbers, I need *significant* LEFT rudder to stay coordinated, and never need to touch the right rudder again through roll out unless there is a wind.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Real quick -

I've never seen any need for right rudder on landing in any plane I've ever flown.

I've never taught it, nor recall seeing it recommended anywhere in training publications, FAA or otherwise.

Not to say some planes might not have that as a quirk - I've just never seen it.

I'll try to expound on left-turning tendencies as I understand them later.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

roger lee wrote:Hi Ed,

I have to use right rudder on take off and landings or I yaw to the left. That's with or without throttle use. The CT's here use right rudder to keep straight on landings. The instructors here teach more right rudder on landings...
All phases can be different, are you slipping or crabbing on final? Are you effected by crosswind at touchdown? On rollout are there left turning tendencies that are sometimes greater than right turning weathervaning?

There is no doubt that a gust on your vertical stabilizer from the right will turn you right and that will need left rudder.

Maybe you use left rudder until the nose-wheel contacts and don't really notice and the correction when steering will by right.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

A thread was started over on the CT site to which I just posted a summary of left turning tendencies in each phase of flight:

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/235 ... -landings/
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

FlyingForFun wrote:I don't know why you would need right rudder during landing unless you are coming in low and slow with lots of power or in a crosswind from the left with your left wind down to keep the nose headed straight ahead.
In the CT because of the sight picture peolpe want to bring the nose over in front of them. Because of this as an instructor I often have to say you need to bring the nose to the right. This is not because of the need for right rudder, but to get the longitudinal axis of the airplane straight.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

FlyingForFun wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
FlyingForFun wrote:I don't know why you would need right rudder during landing unless you are coming in low and slow with lots of power or in a crosswind from the left with your left wind down to keep the nose headed straight ahead.
In the CT because of the sight picture peolpe want to bring the nose over in front of them. Because of this as an instructor I often have to say you need to bring the nose to the right. This is not because of the need for right rudder, but to get the longitudinal axis of the airplane straight.
That would be pilot error and true of any side by side seating.
That may be, but it seems worse with the CT as compared to any other airplane I have flown in the last 30 years.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

Most airplanes you see the glare shield and then a cowling in front of that, in a CT you don't see the cowling. There are fewer visual clues to use to gauge alignment.