Skycatcher's End

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Nomore767

Re: Skycatcher's End

Post by Nomore767 »

FlyingForFun wrote:FastEddie's Sky Arrow is a sweet little plane. It would meet my needs very well. I have lots of hours in tandem seating airplanes and that actually has some advantages. I got my Private in a Champion 7FC and have 44 hours in it. I have about 50 hours in a J3 when I was getting time for a Commercial. As far as glass panels and instrumentation, I am comfortable with lots of stuff or not much. It doesn't really matter flying LSA. I also use a Nexus 7 with Naviator and Seattle Avionics geo-referenced approach plates. I keep those "just in case." I recently purchased a Dual XGPS170 for in-flight Nexrad and metars. I am a big advocate of safety and "being prepared." I think I could be happy with a comm radio and transponder.

Just one other thing I would add...at my age, I don't really want to get involved with maintaining an airplane. I just want to put fuel in and go. That's one reason I prefer the Continental engine.
So would you consider the Sky Arrow? Especially at the price of $55k or $75K? It's not a Continental so is that a factor for you? Just curious.

Cheers, Howard
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Nomore767 wrote: The FD aircraft are very good. For me, in this part of the Carolinas, and looking at ownership, I'm somewhat wary of Rotax powered planes because of the support issue. There are big dealers several hundred miles away which isn't so much of an issue with scheduled maintenance but the mechanics I've spoken with here aren't very familiar. I've urged them to get the training as there is a growing need for it. Meanwhile, acquiring a 'regular' engined SC like the 0-200D, seems more logical for ME and MY mission, so we'll see how it goes.

When I flew the Remos and the CTLS they both were 'capable' of carrying more but then didn't seem to have the space to do that. The Remos was basically a small duffle under the seat for example. The SC is the opposite, large space but limited to 50 lbs. Light Sport is somewhat of a compromise but then too many seem to want to fly outside the limits of what LSA was intended for and thus are disatisfied.
I understand the engine situation, that makes sense.

I agree the Remos is a paradox...huge useful load and very small on space to carry it! The CTLS has two very large baggage bays though that will take 55lb each, surprised you didn't find it adequate. In any event, that is why we should all like choices and support ALL aircraft manufacturers, so we can each have the airplane that suits us as individuals!
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

FlyingForFun wrote:
Nomore767 wrote:
FlyingForFun wrote:FastEddie's Sky Arrow is a sweet little plane. It would meet my needs very well. I have lots of hours in tandem seating airplanes and that actually has some advantages. I got my Private in a Champion 7FC and have 44 hours in it. I have about 50 hours in a J3 when I was getting time for a Commercial. As far as glass panels and instrumentation, I am comfortable with lots of stuff or not much. It doesn't really matter flying LSA. I also use a Nexus 7 with Naviator and Seattle Avionics geo-referenced approach plates. I keep those "just in case." I recently purchased a Dual XGPS170 for in-flight Nexrad and metars. I am a big advocate of safety and "being prepared." I think I could be happy with a comm radio and transponder.

Just one other thing I would add...at my age, I don't really want to get involved with maintaining an airplane. I just want to put fuel in and go. That's one reason I prefer the Continental engine.
So would you consider the Sky Arrow? Especially at the price of $55k or $75K? It's not a Continental so is that a factor for you? Just curious.

Cheers, Howard
For sure. I told FastEddie he should upgrade and sell me his SkyArrow. For the right price, I could deal with the other issues. I do have the same concerns you have about finding a Rotax maintenance shop, but maybe in Atlanta that would not be a problem. I don't know.
Tim Dawson at Lumpkin County Airport (Wimpy's) can do Rotax work. I'm sure there are others in the area as well.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

FlyingForFun wrote:I made some landings there during my check-out in the SkyCatcher. That would be a short hop from Cherokee County if I kept a plane there.
It's a really fun place to land.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

FlyingForFun wrote:I made some landings there during my check-out in the SkyCatcher.
I need to fly in there, I've heard it's great airport!
Aviation Real Estate Broker
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

MrMorden wrote:
Nomore767 wrote: The FD aircraft are very good. For me, in this part of the Carolinas, and looking at ownership, I'm somewhat wary of Rotax powered planes because of the support issue. There are big dealers several hundred miles away which isn't so much of an issue with scheduled maintenance but the mechanics I've spoken with here aren't very familiar. I've urged them to get the training as there is a growing need for it. Meanwhile, acquiring a 'regular' engined SC like the 0-200D, seems more logical for ME and MY mission, so we'll see how it goes.

When I flew the Remos and the CTLS they both were 'capable' of carrying more but then didn't seem to have the space to do that. The Remos was basically a small duffle under the seat for example. The SC is the opposite, large space but limited to 50 lbs. Light Sport is somewhat of a compromise but then too many seem to want to fly outside the limits of what LSA was intended for and thus are disatisfied.

I agree the Remos is a paradox...huge useful load and very small on space to carry it! The CTLS has two very large baggage bays though that will take 55lb each, surprised you didn't find it adequate. In any event, that is why we should all like choices and support ALL aircraft manufacturers, so we can each have the airplane that suits us as individuals!
A set of golf clubs fits in the Remos baggage compartment behind the left seat. I have flown the Skycatcher - handles well, stable, and good performace.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Howard, yours is the best, most comprehensive Skycatcher evaluation I've read to date...and as we all know, there have been a lot of them. One reason I appreciated reading it was how you didn't just discuss the a/c and its flight characteristics but also how the plane relates to your intended uses and to the geographic area in which it will be based. IMO no a/c exists in a vacuum where its merits are somehow established aside from its intended use. Your commentary illustrates this point perfectly.

Reportedly, there are many new and lightly used Skycatchers just waiting for new homes, and a soft market must mean competitive pricing. Given your satisfaction with it, you must be getting sorely tempted. <g>

Given your comments, I think you'll find the RV12 quite a different experience. It will be interesting to hear your comparison. To get a ride from Mitch (Vans East Coast rep) at Sebring's Expo, just arrive at Vans booth soon after the show first opens. His normal practice is to offer only that day's flying slots each morning and rely on 'first come' to fill them up. Mitch is a genuine gentleman, has built multiple Vans models including the one he flies, and he will answer your Q's in a direct, balanced manner. (He's also available to do demos from his home field near St. Mary's City in MD). Hope you have a chance to meet him.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

I flew the RV12 last year at Sebring with Mitch and I echo Jack's comments about Mitch. Having previously checked out in the Skycatcher and now being a 1/3rd owner of a 2011 DA40 I can tell you that the RV12 exceeded my expectations and may be even a more enjoyable plane to fly than my DA40.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Jack Tyler wrote:Howard, yours is the best, most comprehensive Skycatcher evaluation I've read to date...and as we all know, there have been a lot of them. One reason I appreciated reading it was how you didn't just discuss the a/c and its flight characteristics but also how the plane relates to your intended uses and to the geographic area in which it will be based. IMO no a/c exists in a vacuum where its merits are somehow established aside from its intended use. Your commentary illustrates this point perfectly.

Reportedly, there are many new and lightly used Skycatchers just waiting for new homes, and a soft market must mean competitive pricing. Given your satisfaction with it, you must be getting sorely tempted. <g>

Given your comments, I think you'll find the RV12 quite a different experience. It will be interesting to hear your comparison. To get a ride from Mitch (Vans East Coast rep) at Sebring's Expo, just arrive at Vans booth soon after the show first opens. His normal practice is to offer only that day's flying slots each morning and rely on 'first come' to fill them up. Mitch is a genuine gentleman, has built multiple Vans models including the one he flies, and he will answer your Q's in a direct, balanced manner. (He's also available to do demos from his home field near St. Mary's City in MD). Hope you have a chance to meet him.
Jack, thanks for the tips.

I'll see if I can get on the demo list at Sebring. There are a few models I would also like to demo as well. If I can't demo the RV12 at Sebring I still have Mitch's details so that I could contact him for a demo and the chance to grill him with questions about Rotax maintenance and the like. It's a learning experience for sure.

Cheers, Howard
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

MrMorden wrote:

I don't see how you could get a set of golf clubs into a Remos GX as another poster suggested. As for the CTLS I do remember a small hatch opening up to a space which could have been used but thought the size of the hatch was small anyway.

Seems to be a memory thing for me! I'm in my 61st year now and they say memory is the first thing that goes. I can't remember what the other thing is…..
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I have been told a travel bag of clubs will fit in the CTLS with no problem. I put bag chairs in there all the time 2 per side. In my CTSW I put in 2 bag chairs and a 10x10 pop up canopy. The chairs just go in through the baggage door, but the canopy went in from behind the seat. I'm not shure if I could do the canopy in the CTLS.