Rotax questions...a few more!

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Rotax questions...a few more!

Post by drseti »

Eddie, your hypothesis would suggest that northerners would have a much harder time with the rudder pedals than would southerners.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Nomore767 wrote:I looked at the website and they didn't appear to have a TW airplane.
Looks that way. They've only been down there a short time. Hopefully, they'll get one on leaseback.
Last edited by Merlinspop on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Bruce
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:Eddie, your hypothesis would suggest that northerners would have a much harder time with the rudder pedals than would southerners.
My hypothesis extends to northerners having a much harder time with everything than would southerners!

Round these here parts, we just get 'er done!

I reckon!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

OMG, Eddie, you're turning into a redneck!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Well, they did film "Deliverance" not too far from here.

When we hear banjo music, we just fly a little faster!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Tessmacher

Post by Tessmacher »

CTLSi wrote: I don't know what's going on in rural Georgia, but I can tell you from first hand experience LSA is alive, well, and active in the west and southwest.
My brother lives in southern central Georgia. I called and asked him to go to the five nearest airports to him, and ask about Sport Pilot training. He was asked to leave two of them, and the other three told him the same thing I've been told (get a PPL, we don't waste time on that worthless SP ticket) For obvious reasons, I won't name the airports.

That's what's going on in "rural Georgia"...

Why is it that in the Southeast, LSA has not caught on?

Is anyone else as angry about this as I am?
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Tessmacher wrote:
CTLSi wrote: I don't know what's going on in rural Georgia, but I can tell you from first hand experience LSA is alive, well, and active in the west and southwest.
My brother lives in southern central Georgia. I called and asked him to go to the five nearest airports to him, and ask about Sport Pilot training. He was asked to leave two of them, and the other three told him the same thing I've been told (get a PPL, we don't waste time on that worthless SP ticket) For obvious reasons, I won't name the airports.

Ignorance in extreme! I bet you they can't event tell you straight facts about anything about what Light Sport is (license, aircraft, or equipment).
This is a nice reminder to overfly certain states!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
dwayne

Post by dwayne »

FastEddieB wrote:Well, they did film "Deliverance" not too far from here.

When we hear banjo music, we just fly a little faster!

FastEddie ...

Toward the music, or away?

Dwayne
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Tessmacher wrote:

Shrug. I got all my SP training in central Georgia and Florida. I think it is all about who you talk to.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

dwayne wrote:
FastEddieB wrote:
FastEddie ...

Toward the music, or away?

Dwayne
Away.

Usually.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Tessmacher

Post by Tessmacher »

MrMorden wrote:
Tessmacher wrote:

Shrug. I got all my SP training in central Georgia and Florida. I think it is all about who you talk to.
According to my brother (who also lives in Georgia) you're in north Georgia, and the attitudes are considerably different once you get south of Atlanta.
Parker

Post by Parker »

Well, those southern Georgia boys listen to the accent before they decide how, or if, they are going to reply. Actually I know two different sport pilot CFIs instructing in LSA's right in the heart of south Georgia grits country.
theoarno

Post by theoarno »

I want to know what the airport manager is going to do if you drop a 5 gallon can of mogas in your aircraft? Stand in the middle of the runway and stop you from taking off and landing?
The only way to correct the issue may be to push the issue. Force the airport manager to state his unwillingness to allow aircraft owners to comply with the manufacturers operations parameters.
I'm not a crap house lawyer and generally I like to stay within the rules and keep everybody happy, but we all know that when it comes time to make a statement in writting he or she won't have a leg to stand on.

Theo
drseti

Post by drseti »

theoarno wrote:I want to know what the airport manager is going to do if you drop a 5 gallon can of mogas in your aircraft?
Most airports (especially those owned and operated by municipalities) have formal self-fueling policies. These are a matter of public record. Those that explicitly prohibit self-fueling generally do so on the advice of counsel. They will avow safety concerns, but more often than not the real issue is liability. Those that allow self-fueling will generally have established very specific guidelines (e.g., maximum fuel allowed in hangar, and types of containers in which it must be stored).

Airport tenants (and that generally includes hangar renters) will normally have to sign some sort of an agreemnt, acknowledging receipt of and compliance with whatever airport policies are in effect. To the extent that a hangar lease prohibits any particulat activity (including, but not limited to, storage of fuel in hangars), violation of a lease agreement would constitute legal grounds for eviction.

So, what can an airport manager do if you haul in auto gas, in violation of lease terms? He or she would be within legal rights to terminate your lease and have your aircraft removed. This does not violate FAA free-access policies, because you are still free to fly in (i.e., use the runway). But there is no FAA policy requiring the airport to allow a hangar tenant to violate lease terms.

Bottom line: before you sign a hangar lease, read it carefully. If it has a self-fueling policy that does not meet your needs, speak with the airport manager and see if you can negotiate an exception. If not, look for another airport to hangar your plane.

If you're an AOPA member, and subscribe to their Legal Services Plan, you can get help in reviewing hangar leases. Do this before you sign!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US