Allegro wish-list?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

What would you like *most* changed from an Allegro LSA

Cruise Speed
30%
Flight Characteristics (please explain in thread!)
10%
Cabin space
10%
Cabin features (please explain)
20%
Avionics
20%
Efficiency
10%

Total votes: 10

MrMorden

Re: Allegro wish-list?

Post by MrMorden »

FrankR wrote:Talked to Ross at B bar D today and he told me that the 22lb baggage limit is with the ballistic parachute. The limit without is 55lb.

Also, I trained on the Allegro (and like it). But when I went to fly different planes the stick/throttle arrangement was different on every other plane I flew. Almost every other plane has the throttle coming out of the center of the console. This means that you fly with the left hand. This took some getting used to.
I still think 55lb is on the light side, and ideally you would not have to choose between a BRS and a useful amount of baggage. Just IMO.

I prefer flying with my right hand also, but there are advantages to using the left hand. It leaves the strong hand (for righties) free for tuning radios and other tasks that require high dexterity. With a throttle on the left you have to reach across quite a bit of panel to get to the radio stack in the middle of the panel (typically). That last aspect goes away if the radio, transponder, and GPS are mounted on the left side of the panel.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

MrMorden wrote:I still think 55lb is on the light side,
That happens to be the baggage allowance of my plane, and it's never been a problem for me. Last month, I went on a three-week overseas airline trip with just a 22# (10 kg) rollerbag and an iPad. It was sufficient (being a motorcyclist prepares you well for LSA, as it teaches you how to pack light). Last trip in the SportStar, I carried clothes, computer case, safety gear, and guitar - all told, maybe 25#. Factor in a spouse's bags, and I could see me going over the limit. :P
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:
MrMorden wrote:I still think 55lb is on the light side,
That happens to be the baggage allowance of my plane, and it's never been a problem for me. Last month, I went on a three-week overseas airline trip with just a 22# (10 kg) rollerbag and an iPad. It was sufficient (being a motorcyclist prepares you well for LSA, as it teaches you how to pack light). Last trip in the SportStar, I carried clothes, computer case, safety gear, and guitar - all told, maybe 25#. Factor in a spouse's bags, and I could see me going over the limit. :P
No doubt one could travel like that pretty well. But what if you were flying into Oshkosh for the week, or wanted to go on a backpacking trip? There's nothing wrong with 55lb, but more is better. :)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drseti

Post by drseti »

MrMorden wrote: more is better.
Very true. If I were going to Oshkosh, or on a camping trip, I'd have gear in a duffel bag, strapped into the other seat. Of course, this makes an LSA a one-place aircraft. (Not so very different from a four-place Cherokee or Skyhawk, that is in fact a three-place aircraft. Or, my old six-seat Beechcraft, which was in reality a four-place aircraft.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

MrMorden wrote:No doubt one could travel like that pretty well. But what if you were flying into Oshkosh for the week, or wanted to go on a backpacking trip? There's nothing wrong with 55lb, but more is better. :)
If solo, you can pack a military style duffle bag and strap it into the pax seat. If not, these's FedEx or you can scout out the nearest Wally World or Goodwill at your destination.
- Bruce
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Merlinspop wrote:
MrMorden wrote:No doubt one could travel like that pretty well. But what if you were flying into Oshkosh for the week, or wanted to go on a backpacking trip? There's nothing wrong with 55lb, but more is better. :)
If solo, you can pack a military style duffle bag and strap it into the pax seat. If not, these's FedEx or you can scout out the nearest Wally World or Goodwill at your destination.
Yeah, I was assuming full seats. I think the CT with 110lb baggage spoils me.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

My Sky Arrow has a large, rectangular carbon fiber box under the passenger seat rated to 66 lbs., and another narrower one behind the passenger seat rated at 33 lbs.

Neither accessible in flight.

When I chose the Sky Arrow, other designs were eliminated due to very restrictive baggage - some as I recall could barely hold a large shaving kit.

But at my plane's high EW (861 lbs) when flying 2-up I usually hit max gross limits long before I run out of space. If you recall, even packing lightly we ended up about 12 lbs over for our trip to Page. Though some thought it silly, we flew with 2 gals less than the maximum 18 to be both safe - and legal.
Last edited by FastEddieB on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

No, Eddie, you didn't do that to be legal. You did so to be safe.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

Though some thought it silly
It seems to me at some point, someone has found every topic on this forum to be a bit silly. We all have a lot to learn.

Your point is a good one. Many pilots simply can't believe I would take off with less than full tanks. (Especially on a cross country.) Probably some old axiom about fuel being left behind you. But I think this is another difference with LSA flying, that perhaps we spend just a little more time with fuel planning because we have to. I don't have the luxury of topping off at every stop because of the weight. I constantly validate my time/speed/distance to insure the fuel in my tanks at destination is what I planned. (Nice to have an EMS to help me, but I do the calculations manually just the same.)
Dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

I was going to say that max gross is always a problem. Then, I remembered that my friend Howie Marlin, a fellow member of the Flying Musicians Association ( http://www.flyingmusicians.org ), performs under the stage name Max Gross.

What the hell, I'll say it anyway. Max Gross is always a problem. :wink:

<shameless plug> you can hear both of us perform at Sebring in January. </shameless plug>
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:No, Eddie, you didn't do that to be legal. You did so to be safe.
Nice catch.

I did not mean to imply just to be legal.

I think you guys know be better than that - but I'll go back and revise my post for clarity.

Thanks!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
LSA_4_Life

Post by LSA_4_Life »

Is the Allegro kit still available? I like everything the way it is...I just want to build one!
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

Doors that open forward, not up and out.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.