Allegro wish-list?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

What would you like *most* changed from an Allegro LSA

Cruise Speed
30%
Flight Characteristics (please explain in thread!)
10%
Cabin space
10%
Cabin features (please explain)
20%
Avionics
20%
Efficiency
10%

Total votes: 10

Merlinspop

Re: Allegro wish-list?

Post by Merlinspop »

SportPilot wrote:Old thread...
But new member with a question about the aircraft in this thread.
- Bruce
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bottleworks

Post by bottleworks »

(I'm gone. Everything deleted! Can't stand the ignorant data spread here).
Last edited by bottleworks on Fri May 08, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bottleworks

Post by bottleworks »

Last edited by bottleworks on Fri May 08, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

bottleworks wrote:
rgstubbsjr wrote:Doors that open forward, not up and out.
If I'm understanding your comment correctly, you wouldn't be able to enter to cockpit.

You have to enter butt first from the front.
The problem with doors that open up is safety.
A door that opens forward doesn't really open if they aren't properly latched, or the latch fails.
A door that opens up towards the wing will open completely and has the possibility of ripping off or damaging the bottom of the wing. Also it's impossible to close them.

I'm speaking from experience. On January 19, the passenger side latch failed on the plane I was flying. The door opened at 2,500 ft, the passenger grabbed the bottom of the door and was almost pulled out of the aircraft. He had to hang onto the bottom of the door with both hands and was never able to close it. I made a quick turn around and the tower cleared the pattern for us.
bottleworks

Post by bottleworks »

Last edited by bottleworks on Fri May 08, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

rgstubbsjr wrote:I'm speaking from experience. On January 19, the passenger side latch failed on the plane I was flying. The door opened at 2,500 ft, the passenger grabbed the bottom of the door and was almost pulled out of the aircraft. He had to hang onto the bottom of the door with both hands and was never able to close it. I made a quick turn around and the tower cleared the pattern for us.
Was it on Allegro though?

I had the door pop open on Carlson in exactly the same manner a couple of times, and there was no damage. At one time it was when I slipped on final. I chose not to bother closing it and made an uneventful landing, closing the door after exiting the runway. Another time, it popped open in cruise. I was 40 miles away from nearest airport, so I reached over and closed it. But when I landed, I adjusted the latch so that does not happen again. I have to note that the door on Carlson is essentially flat - there's no "bubble" like they put on many LSAs.

If you think that a door opening up is rough, consider that our very own Eddie B. had a canopy pop open on Sky Arrow once. It's a miracle that nothing blew out of the cockpit into the engine or prop. The canopy stayed attached though: it's a quality job by Three-Aye.
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

It was a Remos GX
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

rgstubbsjr wrote:It was a Remos GX
I didn't see anything in the FAA accident/incident reports about this happening. Was it the fault of the airplane, or did the passenger not have it latched correctly?

I have seen the passenger door in a CT open while it is in flight. There was no problem closing the door, and no damage.
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

3Dreaming wrote:
rgstubbsjr wrote:It was a Remos GX
I didn't see anything in the FAA accident/incident reports about this happening. Was it the fault of the airplane, or did the passenger not have it latched correctly?

I have seen the passenger door in a CT open while it is in flight. There was no problem closing the door, and no damage.
The forward portion of the latch bar failed. It was actually bent. Maybe a defect in the metal?