CTLSi

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

CharlieTango

Re: EAA AOPA medical proposal

Post by CharlieTango »

CTLSi wrote:
The facts do not support that opinion. Yes the CTLSi has a higher empty weight, but that does not ... keep it from reaching the top speed of 147kts. ...
You were making this speed claim a while back and we pointed out that a huge increase in power would be needed and that the 912iS has no additional power. 180-200hp might be in range.

Above you made the claim that the 912ULS has no means of dealing with DA but it does have altitude compensating carbs. In fact both engines suffer from the same limitations which is they go full rich at WOT which means the economy goes away at altitude unless you want to restrict yourself to 92% throttle.
drseti

CTLSi

Post by drseti »

CTLSi wrote:reaching the top speed of 147kts.
Maybe in a full-power dive.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Re: CTLSi

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
CTLSi wrote:reaching the top speed of 147kts.
Maybe in a full-power dive.
Maybe he was reading ground speed off the GPS.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

3Dreaming wrote: Maybe he was reading ground speed off the GPS.
I thought that was just used for landing! :lol:
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi wrote:I have flown both a CTLS and of course now fly a CTLSi. There is no perceptable difference in flying characteristics between these two planes. BUT, there is a lot of difference between the CTSW and the CTLS and CTLSi. The CTLS and CTLSi are different in fuel economy mainly due to the 912i as noted. FD will sell folks the CTLSi with a 912ULS but no one orders the older engine.

The older CTSW lacks the wing-let's and redesigned tail of the LS. The Landing gear with tundra tires are also better. The interior and rear window with the wind spar repositioned is better. The SW is said to be much less stable in strong cross winds.

But I have not flown an SW. So those observations come from others.

Also, the CTLSi comes equipped with far better avionics than the older planes. The Garmin 796 linked to the Garmin GTR 225 radio is a powerful setup. The Dynon Skyview with integrated autopilot, XPNDR, ADS-B, AOI indicator, ECU/EMS, Maps with 10 inch displays linked to the Garmin GPS are an incredibly advanced setup. The CTLSi also has redundant alternators and LiFeIO batteries.
A couple things to add. The CTLSi does not come standard with all the equipment you mentioned. It is all upgraded from the base package. I will say thay most and maybe all of the CTLSi's ordered have the upgraded items, but they are not required.
Avinics aside the CTSW will get off the ground quicker and fly just as fast as the CTLS. It is less stable, but more nimble to the point of almost being touchy in control. It is also a little less stable on the ground because of the landing gear.
They are all great flying airplanes with way more equipment than is needed by a sport pilot.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

CTLSi wrote:The CTLSi is getting a boost.

A 'sport' upgrade is being offered by Rotax for the 912iS engine owners. The equipment gives higher torque and improved climb, cruise and fuel burn. The package includes a modified airbox and intake system, changes to the gearbox and an upgrade of software in the ECU.

The upgrade kit is free (with trade-in of old parts) and available now. Rotax will not pay for labor said to be about 8 hrs to complete.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All- ... grade.aspx
I think this upgrade will get 912iS owners a lot closer to the promise of this engine. From what I understand, there are slight power and torque increases and a pretty good bump in fuel economy also. It's still hard for mew to justify a 22lb weight increase (on the CT install) and an extra $10k in price, but it's getting closer. Once you get these engines in experimentals with custom ECU tunes, you might see some pretty impressive performance compared to the ULS.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA