Sport Pilot Operation in Class B Airspace

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Merlinspop

Re: Sport Pilot Operation in Class B Airspace

Post by Merlinspop »

VL Roberts wrote:So what does one do at a hectic class B airport when on approach and you've got the feeling that the controller wants you to go fast? You fly a stabilized approach the way you've been trained to fly an approach at the speed recommended in your POH.

As a pilot, you do your job and don't worry about the controllers job. There has been more than enough fatal accidents as a result of a pilot trying to please a controller.
I have never landed at a busy Class B in a GA aircraft, but I would guess that if I did that a few times, after a while, any time I came anywhere near there, I'd end up in a hold near the edge of the Bravo for a very very long time until they were able to 'fit' me into the IFR flow.
- Bruce
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

Merlinspop wrote:
VL Roberts wrote:So what does one do at a hectic class B airport when on approach and you've got the feeling that the controller wants you to go fast? You fly a stabilized approach the way you've been trained to fly an approach at the speed recommended in your POH.

As a pilot, you do your job and don't worry about the controllers job. There has been more than enough fatal accidents as a result of a pilot trying to please a controller.
I have never landed at a busy Class B in a GA aircraft, but I would guess that if I did that a few times, after a while, any time I came anywhere near there, I'd end up in a hold near the edge of the Bravo for a very very long time until they were able to 'fit' me into the IFR flow.
You should anticipate a delay going into a Class B airport no matter what speed you are willing to fly. If your aircraft winds up in a ball on (or off) the RWY you are really going to inconvience a lot of people. If you want to land at a Class B airport, determine what time of day the arrival "pushes" are and avoid those times.
David Pavlich

Post by David Pavlich »

Wow! Now that's some good reading. The responses pretty much went along the lines that I expected. I can't think of a lot of reasons for GA pilot to need to go into this furball. Even the local class B, New Orleans Int (MSY) which isn't nearly as busy as Atlanta or Dallas, there's still a heckuva lot of activity.

As an aside, a TFR has been announced for New Orleans as the President is visiting Friday. The airspace will be tied in knots! :-)

David
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

David, I think you're hearing an opinion from your 'big iron pilot' friends that probably reflects the 'big iron pilot' views...so yes, it's probably representative of them, but not necessarily definitive or even fair to GA as a whole. E.g. when I flew into Orlando International to join my wife at a conference, I didn't find that ATC or the Tower struggled to accommodate me - they know how to sequence - and the GA FBO was very pleased to have my business. When I lost a cylinder on an instrument flight, the nearest field was Tampa International and my experience was equally welcoming: they gave me any runway I could make and the FBO there had a mix of piston and turbine visitors and was very helpful in orchestrating the removal & installation of the engine I had rebuilt elsewhere.

Now...is it 'the' destination one should choose if another alternative would also suit? No. Fuel will be horridly expensive, it is an 'A Game' approach, and ramp & overnight fees are probably inevitable. OTOH you might be getting a better grade of coffee in the pilot's lounge. <s>
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
David Pavlich

Post by David Pavlich »

Hi Jack...I think your assessment is essentially correct. It seems to me that if there's an alternative to the class B airport that it would be advantageous for the GA pilot to go there instead just for the ease of landing. Emergencies are a different ball of wax for sure. ATC would be culpable if they didn't give ANY airplane all the room that the pilot in distress needs to get on the ground and something bad happened.

I know when I'm at MSY waiting to fly somewhere, I watch the active runway and about the only "small" aircraft that I see is the bizjets. Once in a while, you'll see a King Air or some such thing, but not much more. I'll be flying to Pheonix later next week, so I'll pay extra attention. :D

David
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

David, you are probably already aware of this but - given your planned flight thru the Phoenix area - let's point out for others that many (all?) Class B's Approach ATC establishes VFR routes right over the top of their major airports. On our last flight out to Montana, we enjoyed several of these 'scenic tours' right over the heart of Class B's like Kansas City while the commercial traffic is doing their approaches and departures underneath us. It can be a real treat for a passenger (or pilot!) to experience this. Talking with Approach while still 30+ miles out, assuming your general route fits with the VFR corridor established, will provide this opportunity.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

For the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport you can fly either over the top, under the out side controlled edges or through the VFR corridor that fly's over the top of the runway. They will give you an altitude of about 4500. You can transition north or south through this corridor. They usually keep about 500' vertical separation.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)