The lsa aircraft that have thus far impressed me.

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

tl-3000pilot

Re: The lsa aircraft that have thus far impressed me.

Post by tl-3000pilot »

Merlinspop wrote:As I said before, you are the only person who you need to please because you're looking for a personal use airplane, so as far as I'm concerned, wanting a specific color of stitching in the seats seam is perfectly legitimate (as an extreme example). I'm just offering up food for thought. Use your own salt.

Cable vs tubes. As noted, engineering tubes for control surfaces in a high wing is a feat. You asked why. Well, look at the path that has to be travelled. From a yoke, the motion starts behind the panel, then up a support structure to the wing, then out to the wing, then convert back and forth to up and down. There's a lot of turns and bends that have to be negotiated. Lots of fittings, joints and connectors (that can fail). Cable runs have to follow the same path, but can be made with a single cable, running through pulleys and fairleads (that can also fail, as can the swagged ends). If the designer wasn't scrimping to save grams of weight and spec'd an adequate cable size, and if the builder/designer rigged it correctly, you're not really going to tell a great deal of difference flying with SP privs. But, if that's a requirement for you, then it's a requirement.

Throttle... I prefer a levered throttle vs a knob to push or pull. But then again, with a knob on the panel, you can say "balls to the wall" every time you all full throttle. But no matter, I'm just happy when it gets louder and I go faster with added throttle.

Stick vs Yoke... Yokes make it easier to get in (you don't have to get your legs around a stick. Sticks really feel much more intuitive. Sticks can get in the way when you need to use that 'emergency empty gatorade bottle.' Just because that's all you know don't rule them out. They're the original "Joy Stick".

B
Thanks! :D

As I've stated in other posts, I am definitely not ruling out a stick, and who knows, I may find that I like them over the yokes? My former instructor once stated that "stick and rudder was real flying/more fun". Actually, I like the idea of the side mounted stick controls as seen in the Cirrus, FasteddieB's Sky Arrow and the Custom RV-10 AC model. (link below.) You will also notice that the Custom RV-10 AC in the video has the T-handle throttle quadrant.

http://youtu.be/gVuJ_s8Vqlc

As far as the T-handle throttle quadrant, again, I was always envious of the fellows that flew the Beech Skippers and Piper Cherokees, just found/find it to have a very nice sporty and modern look.

Please keep in mind that there is a Mrs. that also has a say in my situation.

Respectfully,

tl-3000.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

tl-3000pilot wrote:Please keep in mind that there is a Mrs. that also has a say in my situation.
Maybe I'm not a 'real man' who learned how to 'control his woman'... but "If Momma ain't happy; ain't nobody happy" is a constant fact in my life. :lol:
- Bruce
tl-3000pilot

Post by tl-3000pilot »

http://youtu.be/nZmH56vi8nc

http://youtu.be/vCQ8LGqo1jQ

http://youtu.be/6aicn5Of1BU

http://youtu.be/0gApX-cAYMs

Wow!

That Tecnam Astore (first 2 links) is a beautiful LSA low-wing with a very elegant interior/panel imho.

In the 3rd link you will see the GA 4-place Tecnam P-2010, which I feel is really going to give the GA 4-place Flight Design C-4 model some really stiff competition, not to mention the GA 4-place low-wing Panthera from Pipistrel! All very beautiful 4-place GA aircraft for sure!

Thanks!
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I think you mentioned it was important that the company had been around for a while.

When I was LSA shopping in 2006, I was impressed by the 3i logo:

I mean, the company had been around longer than I have (if only just).

Still, it did not save them from nearly going bankrupt and struggling as they found a new owner. Hopefully they're on the right track now, but I sure don't see them selling many planes.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

I understand Tecnam just celebrated their 65th birthday at Aero. That makes them almost as ancient as me. OTOH, I never heard of them before the 1990s. That's because they started out as Partenavia, which went bankrupt, and re-emerged as Tecnam. Which begs the question: is Tecnam really 65, or is it a relatively new company trying to capitalize on its predecessor's history (and hoping customers will forget about the bankruptcy)?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

FastEddieB wrote:
jnmeade wrote:
For example, how many high wing planes can you count with push-rods?/quote]

Mine?
!
I concede your point. But they are rare, I think.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

"Which begs the question: is Tecnam really 65, or is it a relatively new company trying to capitalize on its predecessor's history (and hoping customers will forget about the bankruptcy)?"

I think we all know the answers to those questions, Paul. No, and yes, and yes.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Jack Tyler wrote:"Which begs the question: is Tecnam really 65, or is it a relatively new company trying to capitalize on its predecessor's history (and hoping customers will forget about the bankruptcy)?"

I think we all know the answers to those questions, Paul. No, and yes, and yes.
In which case, Beech is a brand spanking new company, Piper is just a teenager, Cessna would be a pretty young company had they not been a sub of a much deeper pocketed conglomerate.

Everything old is new again...
- Bruce
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

dstclair wrote:
I'd be surprised if the Sirius comes in at less than 800lbs typically equipped. Baggage limit is 75lbs (and you can easily fit golf clubs in the back although I've done it in my Sting S3 as well but had be creative!). Max useful load is going to be 520lbs. Going full fuel of 200lbs leaves 320lbs for crew and baggage. Assuming two mythical FAA standard adults at 170 lbs each, you will always be trading fuel for payload. Not necessarily a deal-breaker depending on your particular mission. You could still go with 340lbs of crew, 55lbs of baggage and 21 gallons of fuel allowing for 3.5 hrs of flying with VFR reserves.
There's a reasonable chance I'll be able to get my golf clubs in a Sting Sport? I assume you strap them into the passenger seat?
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Sure. My travel bag is a bit smaller in diameter than my 'normal' bag and fit in the baggage area on the passenger side. The seat back pivots to be on top of the bag, then bungee things in place. You may have to pull the driver out and put beside the bag if you have an early model that doesn't allow removal of the copilot stick.
dave
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

dstclair wrote:Sure. My travel bag is a bit smaller in diameter than my 'normal' bag and fit in the baggage area on the passenger side. The seat back pivots to be on top of the bag, then bungee things in place. You may have to pull the driver out and put beside the bag if you have an early model that doesn't allow removal of the copilot stick.

That's encouraging news. Thanks Dave.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »