Is it possible for a J3 cub to be flown solo from front seat

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

RyanShort1

Re: Is it possible for a J3 cub to be flown solo from front

Post by RyanShort1 »

3Dreaming wrote:My dad ussed to fly a tri gear J3 Cub solo from the front seat. I don't know if it was still placarded solo rear seat only. I think he felt more comfortable there because of learning to fly in a PA12.
Them are ugly birds...

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
KFox4RT

Post by KFox4RT »

I know of 2 pilots who flew a stock Cub solo from the front seat with no problems. The 1st actually moved from the rear seat to the front in flight. After he was convinced it would fly just as well from the front seat, he did it often. He was small framed, I'm guessing not more than 150 pounds so maybe his light weight factored into it. The second pilot tried it from takeoff to landing (no in-flight seat change) and also reported that it flew just as well, it just needed more trim. I'd guess he weighs close to 200 pounds. Both pilots are very experienced and know their Cubs very well. This also shows just how forgiving Cubs are. I don't recommend this but, hey, it happened. KFox4RT
pjcampbell

Post by pjcampbell »

I don't know if this helps but the Aeronca 7AC Champ can be solo'd from the front seat. It's a similar aircraft. It qualifies as an LSA.
JimC

Post by JimC »

I've still got the J3 I bought to learn to fly over 50 years ago, and about 85% of my flight time over the last half century is in a J3.

Virtually all J3's can be legally solo'd from the front seat (though I can't imagine why anyone would want to).
Very few are placarded for solo from rear seat only, and there is a straight forward procedure for removing that placard from almost all of those (most of those placards were installed through ignorance when not required). I have legally flown solo from the front seat when I weighed 233 pounds. Since the plane was within the cg envelope, it flew fine.

The Testerman tricycle gear doesn't require an STC in order to be mounted on a J3 or PA11. It is a logbook entry covered by Notes 210 & 211 of the TCDS A-691 (page 14 of 21 if I remember correctly).
JimC

Post by JimC »

And still interesting.
:-)
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

eyeflygps wrote:This thread is 3 1/2 years old.
Why you being so hard on the new guy? He has made 3 post, and you've given him a hard time about 2 of them.
BTW, this is not coming after you, but rather some light hearted humor. Though I'm not sure you are in tune with my sense of humor.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Don't worry about it. I'm not thin skinned, and he means no harm.
But thanks for your concern.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Thought I'd ad some video links for this combo. It's a PA-11 but close to the J-3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTrNP755-7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4SAsksi5Bs

There should be some still photos on this site somewhere of the PA-11 with nose wheel installed.

If you sit in the back and have the tailwheel installed it's possible to land 3 point with mains and tail but as soon as you slow down and use
any brake it will tip back onto the nose wheel. Sitting solo in the front seat solo you can just drag the tailwheel but I usually installed a Tripacer skid
for less weight and better rudder feel.
Takeoff distance shorter on tricycle gear because streamlined at start of roll and can rotate to higher deck angle with rear gear placement and no tailwheel.
Rough field not a problem unless heavy braking needed. Nosewheel can be held off with a little power when solo in rear seat.

Dirt on the non chromed nose strut is a problem. keep it lubed and greased.

This PA-11 is 85hp with electric start one 18 gallon wing tank and metal prop. G25 battery in box behind baggage so CG is similar position to J-3

Placards rear seat only solo for Testerman tricycle kit and front seat only solo for the PA-11 with 85 hp and electric start so they are conflicting.

Solo stock J-3 works ok either seat but prefer the back solo. More leg room and better visibility in the back. Plus no feet rubbing each side of your rear.

Add mods to the airframe then what seat is allowable is a factor of CG limits. Stock cub CG computations not needed according to manual if CG falls in a certain range.

The actual CAA card with weight and balance station locations is helpful if you can find it then reweigh to get actual location. Few are accurate.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Stripe across runway in video is 225 feet from runway end. Cool day and 640' above Sea level.

PA-18 in video is 90 hp.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
JimC

Post by JimC »

I own a J3 and a PA-11 (both tailwheel). I prefer backseat solo in both due to comfort and visibility, but both can be solo'd from either seat (not talking about Testerman conversion, which by the way, requires only a logbook entry and W&B change).

I fly a non-electric 110 hp O-200 in a J3 (mounted by 337 rather than STC so extra fuel isn't required). On grass, takeoff roll ranges fro 65-75 to 195 feet depending on payload and density altitude. Solo, 8 kt wind, 70 degrees near sea level gives the 65-75 foot takeoff roll. I love J3's and like PA-11's.