Sling S-LSA vs. EAB vs. ???

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Sling S-LSA vs. EAB vs. ???

Post by drseti »

That particular model of Luscombe is called a Silvaire. In that photo, you can clearly see why.
They are Sport Pilot eligible, but lack an electrical system. Also, because the main gear wheels are so close together, they are notorious for ground loops!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

I just received a nice email from The Airplane Factory. They will have a Sling at Sun-n-Fun, giving demo rides to potential customers.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
cogito

Post by cogito »

The Airplane Factory said today they could polish the outer aluminum skins of an alodined plane. They also sent me a list of weight saving options (like replacing the fiberglass parts with carbon fiber.) With the polished aluminum plane and the carbon fiber (and a few other savings) I can save 30 lbs. without much sacrifice. I would then be up to 467 lbs of useful load, not much less than my last airplane.

I'd need to hangar the plane, or spend forever polishing, but then I'd have the plane I want with 912is, parachute, etc. and be able to fly my girlfriend, myself, and 30 lbs of luggage 4 hours(with reserves.) Seem almost reasonable and I wouldn't have to pull 15,000 rivets.

this is the 4 seat (non-LSA) version of the plane:
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

So what was your conclusion about the weight of the Sling, as you wanted it equipped, as described by your U.S. distributor vs. the weight as described by TAF on their website? That seemed to be a basic disconnect when you were describing your earlier weight-related concern. (Well...I don't mean 'your' weight, you understand, but rather the Sling's weight. Oh, the challenges of grammar...)
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
cogito

Post by cogito »

Jack Tyler wrote:So what was your conclusion about the weight of the Sling, as you wanted it equipped, as described by your U.S. distributor vs. the weight as described by TAF on their website? That seemed to be a basic disconnect when you were describing your earlier weight-related concern. (Well...I don't mean 'your' weight, you understand, but rather the Sling's weight. Oh, the challenges of grammar...)
See post #4 re: weight difference between US distributer quote and TAF website. Parachute is 43 lbs, servos 10 lbs, and Rotax 912is is 25 lbs. heavier. From website, "* Note: day VFR package does not include Transponder, Autopilot, Strobes, Parachute."

When I started this thread, the weight quote was 437 lbs of useful load, now with carbon fiber parts and polished aluminum the UL is up to 467 lbs. I could just be worn down by more than a month thinking about this, but for my current mission 467 lbs. seems to work. Still can't take up any fatsos, but if fly with another pilot of 170 lbs I get 4 hrs. flight time with an hour reserve. (no baggage)

The question remains, however, if/when I go to sell the plane, will someone buy a polished aluminum S-LSA with a parachute and 467 lbs of useful load?
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

I see no problem with the useful load and the parachute will definitely increase resale.

the main resale issue will be if the manufacturer is still in business and the small number of Slings that are likely to be built making parts, service and support more difficult.
The advantage is you will have a what you want and it will be very exclusive. Thats definitely worth something too.

Mark
cogito

Post by cogito »

UPDATE: It’s five months later, I decided I didn’t want to spend my life polishing aluminum and The Airplane Factory said they would try to build a lighter Sling using carbon fiber where fiberglass had been used, lighter seats, and a few other small, non-structural changes. They said I was under no-obligation, they didn’t require a deposit, so I said “go ahead. “

The plane is now built and test flown, they’re shipping it to the US (whether or not I buy.) The plane will take two months to be packed, shipped, and go through customs, so I have that long if I decide to buy the plane.

The only real change in the LSA weight landscape in the intervening months has been the Icon A5 weight exemption. Unfortunately it doesn't appear the FAA will be granting weight exemptions for safety devices in other LSA's. Since the Sling has been spin tested as well as built and tested for 700kg (the weight at which it flies in South Africa) I thought a parachute exemption might have been a possibility, but it seems as if safety might not be at the root of the FAA Icon weight exemption.

So I thought I’d reread this thread and I have to say you guys have made an excellent, high-level discussion of weight and safety and I’d like to thank you: Roger, Paul, Mark, Jack, Marcus, Dave, Alan, Eddie, and Ron. In the days of diminished real-world hangar flying, your thoughts have been very helpful, thank you.

-Craig
Last edited by cogito on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Craig, perhaps you had mentioned it earlier and I simply missed it but in your last post I think you hit on what might be the basic disconnect in TAF providing a versatile Sling into the USA market: the larger weight allowance permitted in South Africa. As I watched TAF's initial design, production and promotional efforts, they seemed to me to be much more domestically and regionally oriented - pitching the product to their continental home market. If that market allowed a 700Kg MTOW, it's pretty easy to see how they ended up with a nifty & somewhat unique but also hefty base plane when viewed from the USA's 1320# MTOW perspective. 435# useful load? Ouch.

Will an unpainted but well-kept, polished a/c be less marketable at some future sale date? For the less experienced buyer, perhaps the buyer located in the Southwest, the 'my plane has to be truly unique' buyer, perhaps not. I find it a challenge to keep the chrome spinner on my Grumman constantly looking its best, so perhaps the more relevant Q is do you want to deal with that level of maintenance?

It sure seems like you are needing to 'stretch' to consider the Sling a viable choice for you, given the extras you have spec'd and continue to feel are necessary for you. I hope you keep us posted on the next chapter...even if it's the last WRT the Sling.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org