Pilot/Owner Maintenance on a C-162

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Pilot/Owner Maintenance on a C-162

Post by drseti »

Eddie, your image displays as "unavailable." :cry:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Carol Carpenter's article from the Rainbow Aviation website appears to me to be still applicable. Seems to cover all the bases.

http://www.rainbowaviation.com/articles ... ements.pdf
drseti

Post by drseti »

That's a good article, Jim, with one significant typographical error. On the last page, it says "To earn the LSRM certificate, you must:" and then goes on to tell the requirements for earning an LSRI. :(
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:Eddie, your image displays as "unavailable." :cry:
Fixed.

Don't know what happened.

But now, reading that article, I'm confused by this...

"The LSrI certificate is good for any eLSA a person owns or purchases in the future. Unlike the amateur built repairman certificate, the LSrI certificate is not specific to one specific aircraft, but does require the 2 day, 16 hour course..."

I took the course and got an LSR-I certificate that clearly lists my one currently owned aircraft as the only one it applies to.

Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Eddie,
your LSRi only applies to an aircraft that you own. If you sell it and buy a new ELSA, take the paperwork to the FSDO and get a new license with the new tail number. No, No, don't ask me what happens if you switch tail numbers to your new (but different) airplanes. :)
Own two ELSA? Get certificated for both.
drseti

Post by drseti »

My understanding is that, if you hold an LSRI and own multiple E-LSAs, the card is appended with multiple registration numbers and serial numbers, much as my LSRM lists different classes of aircraft (Airplane, Glider, and Weight Shift) on the back. So, no, you don't get a different card for each aircraft.

Of course, if you then sell an aircraft, I'm guessing you need to report that, and get a new card with that one deleted. If you're a dealer, or flip airplanes like some (now bankrupt) folks used to flip real estate -- well, then you might as well get an LSRM!

PS -- Eddie, I see you have the AMT certificate with Orville and Wilbur's photo on the back (same as mine). I understand the new ones are going to omit these, in favor of a picture of Charles Taylor. Who's he? He was the Wright Brothers' mechanic and machinist, the guy who built the engine on the original Wright Flyer. So, seems appropriate...
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Paul, I thought the FAA was pretty clear with the Rotax ruling as well as others that the manufacturer could not require more than what is required by the regulations. As an example CFR 65.017 says that a LSRM can,
(1) Approve and return to service an aircraft that has been issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category under § 21.190 of this chapter, or any part thereof, after performing or inspecting maintenance (to include the annual condition inspection and the 100-hour inspection required by § 91.327 of this chapter), preventive maintenance, or an alteration (excluding a major repair or a major alteration on a product produced under an FAA approval);
The FAA gives you that privilege. The manufacturer can not take that privilege away by saying in thier inspection procedures say the inspection can only be done by an A&P, IA, or better yet a factory service center.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Tom, as far as FAA legalities are concerned, you are probably correct; Rotax cannot prevent an LSRM, A&P, IA, or whomever from performing tasks specifically authorized under the FARs. OTOH, the FAA has no authority with regard to Rotax's warranty policies. If Rotax chooses to void a warranty because a given AMT performed a task (or because a properly trained AMT didn't take the Rotax two year renewal course), I don't think the FAA's going to be of any help to the owner. As in all things commercial, it's caveat emptor.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Tom, as far as FAA legalities are concerned, you are probably correct; Rotax cannot prevent an LSRM, A&P, IA, or whomever from performing tasks specifically authorized under the FARs. OTOH, the FAA has no authority with regard to Rotax's warranty policies. If Rotax chooses to void a warranty because a given AMT performed a task (or because a properly trained AMT didn't take the Rotax two year renewal course), I don't think the FAA's going to be of any help to the owner. As in all things commercial, it's caveat emptor.
The manufacturer is in charge of developing the procedures for maintenance and inspections. The FAA is in charge of saying who can do the procedures. The owner can do preventative maintenance list in CFR 43 appendix A if there is a procedure in the maintenance manual, and he has had the training required to complete the task. The manufacturer can not take that away by saying it can only be done by a LSRM.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Dennis, I have been remiss in not properly welcoming you to the forums. You appear to be our newest member, and we are happy to have you!

Safe skies,
Paul (your friendly neighborhood moderator)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Flim63

Post by Flim63 »

Again, old topic, but I'm new and wanted to clarify.

A early post gave definitions of SLSA and ELSA, but ELSA in not a definition, it is a certification type and there were 2 ways to get it. One was the grandfathered "fat" ultralights of which less than 2000 took advantage of (mine is one of those) and had few requirements. Yes, the other is a kit plane but not every kit can become ELSA. There has to be an SLSA version of it (even if only one was ever made and never marketed) that the builder basically builds a copy of. After the airworthiness is issued, the owner can modify.
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Flim63 wrote: ELSA in not a definition, it is a certification type and there were 2 ways to get it. One was the grandfathered "fat" ultralights of which less than 2000 took advantage of (mine is one of those) and had few requirements. Yes, the other is a kit plane but not every kit can become ELSA. There has to be an SLSA version of it (even if only one was ever made and never marketed) that the builder basically builds a copy of. After the airworthiness is issued, the owner can modify.
ELSA is a certification classification.

You are two thirds of the way there on how to be one. The Third way to become an ELSA is to have been an SLSA and get it reregistered as an ELSA, as mine was.