Pilot/Owner Maintenance on a C-162

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Dennis

Pilot/Owner Maintenance on a C-162

Post by Dennis »

Hello group,

What maintenance would I be allowed to perform on a C-162 LSA as pilot/owner? It appears that one can get a repairman's certificate for an E-LSA but I've not found any info about an LSA.

On my Skyhawk I do oil and filter changes and brake pad replacement. It is not really a problem as there are three IAs in our airpark, the closest one living next door.

Thanks to the group for the knowledgeable advice.

Fly safely.
Dennis
3Dreaming

Re: Pilot/Owner Maintenance on a C-162

Post by 3Dreaming »

You can do all the preventative items listed in CFR part 43 appendix A if you hold at least a private pilot certificate. If the airplane has a special issue airwortiness certificate for Light Sport Aircraft then you can do the listed items with at least a sport pilot certificate.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Well, yes, Tom, but if an S-LSA, the SP can do preventative maintenance tasks only if so authorized in the maintenance manual. Remember, the mfgr trumps 43 appendix A in the LSA universe.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I guess I was not clear in my question -- sorry. If I do not have a current medical and am operating as a Sport Pilot with current driver's license, what maintenance can I perform?
Dennis
drseti

Post by drseti »

Part 43 Appendix A lists tasks that can be performed by an owner/operator with a PPL or above. It says absolutely nothing about having a current medical, flight review, or 3 TOLs in past 90 days, PPL or above - period. My take on it is that maintenance tasks do not require a medical at all. My mechanic's certificate does not require me to have a medical.

But, remember that Part 43 applies to certified aircraft. A Special (pink) airworthiness changes the rules.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

Take a look at FAR 43.3g, it permits the holder of a Sport Pilot certificate to perform preventive maintenance on an S-LSA. If you also look at section 8 of the C162 POH, Cessna permits owner preventive maintenance provided you have a current maintenance manual and follow the procedures therein. For other tasks, the maintenance manual specifies the level of certification required, eg LSA repairman, AP etc.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I understand what I can do on an S-LSA. What can I do on an LSA?
Thanks.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

I believe that "LSA" is actually divided into 2 categories.

What is the difference between an experimental light sport aircraft (ELSA) and a special light sport aircraft (SLSA)?

ELSA — An aircraft that does not meet the definition of Part 103; has been assembled from an aircraft kit produced by a light sport aircraft manufacturer. Kits assembled under this category are not required to meet the 51 percent homebuilt regulation.
SLSA — These are aircraft manufactured in accordance with industry consensus standards (ASTM) as a light sport aircraft in the United States or in a foreign country in accordance with 14 CFR 21.190 and sold as ready-to-fly aircraft.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Well, yes, Tom, but if an S-LSA, the SP can do preventative maintenance tasks only if so authorized in the maintenance manual. Remember, the mfgr trumps 43 appendix A in the LSA universe.
The manufacture can't take away what was given by the FAA. If there is a procedure in the maintenance manual for an item listed in 43 appendix A the manufacture can not trump the level of certification allowed by the FAA. If the procedure is not listed in the manual then that is a different story. By the same token the manufacture can not give greater authority to the owner than what is given in the regulations.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Part 43 Appendix A lists tasks that can be performed by an owner/operator with a PPL or above. It says absolutely nothing about having a current medical, flight review, or 3 TOLs in past 90 days, PPL or above - period. My take on it is that maintenance tasks do not require a medical at all. My mechanic's certificate does not require me to have a medical.

But, remember that Part 43 applies to certified aircraft. A Special (pink) airworthiness changes the rules.
Paul, if you look at part CFR 43.1 you will see that it does apply to special light sport aircraft.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Dennis wrote:I understand what I can do on an S-LSA. What can I do on an LSA?
Thanks.
Like was said there are two types of LSA certification SLSA and ELSA. For SLSA you need a sport pilot or highr pilot certificate, and the procedure needs to be listed in the maintenance manual for preventative items. You also need training in performing the task.
For ELSA anybody can work on it no ratings required. You do still need a annual condition inspection by someone qualified to perform it.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:Paul, if you look at part CFR 43.1 you will see that it does apply to special light sport aircraft.
Yes, but only if the manufacturer's maintenance manual specifies that the owner/operator can do the specified preventive maintenance task. In the case of the Cessna 162, it does, but many other LSA manufacturers specify a higher rating required for a given task. In this case, the maintenance manual does indeed trump the FAA's blanket list (Appendix A), since the FAA also requires LSAs to be maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's written instructions.

This is a subject that is discussed (and sometimes very hotly debated) in the Rainbow Aviation LSRM classes, and frequently reinforced by Carol Carpenter and others on the (closed) Linked-In LSA mechanic's group. (Remember, Carol serves on the ASTM committee that wrote the standards on which the FAA light sport rules are based).

Bottom line: few S-LSA owners know exactly what they are allowed to do, unless they read the maintenance manual. Even fewer A&Ps know the LSA rules, because they aren't taught in A&P school. For each task, you must follow the specific instructions provided by the manufacturer; "best practices" as published in AC 43-13 aren't good enough! This is why I give LSA maintenance seminars, like the one I presented at Sebring - and encourage owners, as well as mechanics, to attend.

And, yes, things are much less strict for E-LSAs. What I've been saying applies to any S-LSA (of which the C162 is an example, unless you happen to get a certified one. When those come out, all bets are off...)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Has Carol changed her opinion that A&P's must have Rotax factory approved training before they can work on a 912?
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Funny you should ask, Jim. We just discussed this at Sebring.

The latest FAA legal opinion makes it clear that the manufacturer can require you to have received task-specific training. Rotax cannot enforce their preference that the training must have come from them. OTOH, they have made it very clear that they will not honor warranties if maintenance has been performed by someone not officially factory-trained.

There's another, related issue, causing a problem in the field now. I talked at Sebring to an LSA manufacturer (whom I will not identify) about this one. Many mechanics have received the required Rotax training (at the service, maintenance, or heavy maintenance level, as applicable) years ago -- but not taken the required Rotax 2-year renewal course. Owners who go to a mechanic listing himself or herself as "Rotax certified" have no way of knowing this, but without the renewal course, Rotax considers them not qualified. This is not an FAA issue, but could well be a problem with planes under warranty.

My personal solution is to take the damned renewal course every two years. Whether legally required or not, it just makes good business sense.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

My understanding is the same as the good doctor's.

For S-LSA, if the manufacturer requires a certain rating for a certain maintenance operation, that is limiting.

It was a major reason I converted to Experimental - my Sky Arrow Airplane Maintenance Manual required either an A & P or a Light Sport Repairman to do the most basic maintenance. For instance, by battery is held in place with a single dzus and easily accessible. But replacing it called for either an A & P or a Light Sport Repairman. Silly.

I'll repost this:

A good thing to print out and keep around for reference if it gets confusing.
Last edited by FastEddieB on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]