FK12 Acro LSA!!

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

designrs

FK12 Acro LSA!!

Post by designrs »

Quite an attraction at Sun 'n Fun!

http://light-sport-hangar-flyin.blogspo ... -wows.html

http://www.fk-lightplanes.com/html/come ... _ltd_.html

Thoughts?
It's not 300hp or an Extra, but it looks exciting!
How much Acro fun is possible in a LSA?

:)
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
designrs

Post by designrs »

Beautiful graphics on the special edition:
http://fk12comet.blogspot.com/2011/01/c ... pdate.html

Just turning on the smoke looks like fun!
HAmike

Post by HAmike »

designrs, Thanks for the comments! The Fk12 is a blast to fly. :D Very responsive. The controls are well harmonized and very "solid" feeling, no slop. You move the controls and the airplane responds immediately in direct proportion to control deflection/pressure. Ful deflection aileron input from a static 60 degree bank to opposite 60 degree bank measured 1.04 seconds. That's 120 degrees in one second including acceleration and deceleration time. We expect the time for a full 360 degree roll to be about 2 seconds or about 180 degreesper second. Alas, we can't test that until we get the new Lycoming engine for it. Aerobatics with the Rotax are strictly verboten, at least as an SLSA. :( I can't wait to really wring it out!

Before the trolls start grumbling, yes I sell FK products. But I defy anyone to go for a ride in a Comet and not get out with a ear to ear grin!
Mike is chief hangar sweeper at Hansen Air Group, dealers for Sky Arrow, FK, and Peregrine LSAs.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Sounds very exciting Mike.
Thanks for the info & stats.

So when the Lycoming goes in, it will be a full acro SLSA,
to fly legal acro under Light Sport Rules?

Please keep us updated on developments and Acro flight tests.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
HAmike

Post by HAmike »

Yes. There is nothing in the FARs, FAA order 8130, or ASTM standards that prohibit aerobatics in an SLSA. (At least that that we have been able to find after many years of research)The manufacturer determines the approved maneuvers for LSA aircraft. FK is doing the analysis, and testing according to FAA part 23 aerobatic specifications.

As long as Lycoming approves acro and Fk approves acro, theres nothing that prevents a pilot from putting the Comet through a respectable routine 8) However, proper training is highly recommended for any pilot before doing aerobatics, :!:

Lycoming says we will eventually get the O-233 with fuel injection(IO-233, and inverted oil. We may even be able to get a little more than the spec 115 Horse Power. :D

The FK factory says the airframe will be okay for a minimum of +6 / -3 Gs. Structural analysis and testing point towards actual safe G loading of closer to +10 / -6 if they take the max gross weight up to the full 1320 lbs. Based on the data that we have, the max gross weight will be determined by the 45 knot clean stall speed, not the structural strength.

Empty weight of our Comet as a "two holer" with the Rotax engine, Warp Drive prop, ELT, Comm and transponder is a little shy of 640 lbs. The optional "Double Bubble" is about 15 pounds heavier. You wouldn't do acro with the bubble since it has no "Qiuck Release" at this time. The good news is that it only takes about five minutes to convert from one to the other :)

Did I mention the wings fold for storage and trailering? :o
Mike is chief hangar sweeper at Hansen Air Group, dealers for Sky Arrow, FK, and Peregrine LSAs.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Mike-

Any idea of a projected ballpark cost with the Lycoming aerobatic configuration?
HAmike

Post by HAmike »

Ham,
Estimated cost for the Lycoming version will be about $5000 more than a Rotax powered version. We don't have a final cost for our version of the engine yet. About, $125K for a day/vfr any airspace aircraft. Glass, lights, two tone paint, leather seats, long range tanks etc. will of course be more.
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

I saw the aircraft while at Sun-n-Fun and have to say she was one sexy looking machine. I was the one oggling at her while you were putting the canopy on, LOL. Can't wait to see and hear more about this plane.
Hambone

Re: FK12 Acro LSA!!

Post by Hambone »

A colleague and I are contemplating buying a pair of Comets to offer a "dogfighting experience" as well as Sport Pilot, aerobatic, and formation training.

Here's a link to a French company doing the dogfighting experience in Bordeaux, France (albeit in Rotax-powered FK-12s): http://www.les-ailes-de-pegase.com/index.html

And here's their latest video: http://vimeo.com/50472098?action=share

Of additional interest is a potential S-LSA Pitts Special!
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Well, welcome back to the forum, Ham. Sounds like you are still interested in developing a niche business of some kind within the SP/LSA industry. Back in the USA now? Still serving? Bring us up to date, including where you are thinking of basing your eventual enterprise.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Hi Jack

I'm still working for Lockheed-Martin in Abu Dhabi, UAE. I'm hoping to stay here a few years longer before semi-retiring (location to be determined, but San Antonio, Tucson, and Phoenix are on the shortlist).

Thanks for the welcome back!