Titan Tornado

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

theexternvoid

Titan Tornado

Post by theexternvoid »

Anyone have experience with a Titan Tornado? Want to know opinions on it.

Looking at the web site, their prices do not include motor, propeller, or instruments. Any ballpark figure for how much those would add to the price tag?

Thanks
IndySportPilot

Post by IndySportPilot »

I have over 10 years experience with the Titan Tornado and have built 6 of them myself. It's one of the most fun and capable light planes available.

Many engine options are available, so price will depend on your mission. The smaller models like the 2 seat "D" model will fly with a Rotax 503 or 582. The "S"tretch model or "SS" Super Stretch model need more power and would be best with 80hp or better such as the Rotax 912 80hp, 912S 100hp, Jabiru 2200 85hp, or Jabiru 3300 120hp. I'm not as familiar with the 503/582 2 stroke engines, but should be under $7,000. The 4 stroke options start at around $15,500 (Jab2200) up to around $21,000 for 912S.

Propellers usually run around $700-$1100 depending on needs. Instruments and electrical system are really hard to pin down without figuring out exactly what you want to do. You can go minimal with Engine monitor, Altimeter, Airspeed, and a handheld radio, or outfit with glass panel, radio, transponder, cabin heat, nav/strobes, lights, etc.

I've got 800 hours in the Tornado most all S or SS models. I enjoy building them so much I became a dealer in 2005. I'd be happy to help you get an accurate price tag with exactly what you'd be looking for.

Randy Sill
Indianapolis
drseti

Post by drseti »

IndySportPilot wrote: up to around $21,000 for 912S.
Randy, the current price for a brand-new 912ULS, in the crate, is $18k. The weak Euro is really helping us in the US.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
IndySportPilot

Post by IndySportPilot »

drseti wrote:
IndySportPilot wrote: up to around $21,000 for 912S.
Randy, the current price for a brand-new 912ULS, in the crate, is $18k. The weak Euro is really helping us in the US.
Yes, but then you need a coolant radiator, oil radiator, overflow bottle, exhaust, and mounts. Titan sells as a complete FWF kit. It is though a great time based on the Euro. I'd love to pic up one of the new 912iS fuel injected models soon.
drseti

Post by drseti »

IndySportPilot wrote: I'd love to pic up one of the new 912iS fuel injected models soon.
Don't hold your breath. I understand they're still having some teething pains.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
theexternvoid

Post by theexternvoid »

Thanks for the info! I don't need a quote yet. I'm not a pilot. Knowing my past trends, I will probably contemplate it for a year or two before making the leap. I wanted a ballpark figure for the cost to know if I can even afford it and, if so, how much to budget for when I do decide to make the leap. When I decide to take up the hobby and if I still want a Tornado then I'll keep you in mind for a real quote.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

I had a hangermate with a Titan Tornado. He loved it and flew it all over the Northern Sierras camping. It had a Jab engine and the little Dynon EFIS.

The only downside I ever heard him mention was that he couldn't find anyone that would fly with him for his BFR.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
IndySportPilot

Post by IndySportPilot »

Jim Stewart wrote:...The only downside I ever heard him mention was that he couldn't find anyone that would fly with him for his BFR.
That's one down side of the original 2 seat "D" model. The back seat is so small, you'll never get a CFI on board. The S and SS models are the way to go.
Ralph

Re: Titan Tornado

Post by Ralph »

I'm looking to purchase a Titan tornado ll it has a 503 rotax engine I want to put a 65 hp engine on the plane. If I stick with rotax I think the 582 is the right engine. Also looking at the hirth but don't know how big of a deal it is to swap. Any suggestions?