Tucan Exhaust in an Allegro 2000

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

timpry

Tucan Exhaust in an Allegro 2000

Post by timpry »

Well.. my old Rotax 912UL non-stainless exhaust has developed a leak... and my exhaust pipe is rusting to bits... nothing too bad.. but its got me looking for a replacement exhausts... Has anyone used or seen a good review of a Downwind Tech Toucan system? It looks good to me... the price is competitive.. but I haven't seen a review on it.. other than the ones posted by the manufacturer.

I will be installing it on my Allegro 2000.. so I will have to cut the lower cowl to get make room for the dual exhaust pipes... but other than that.. it looks like a breeze to install.

Another option would be to just replace the OEM muffler and exhaust pipe...

My Allegro is an experimental..

Thanks
Tim Pry
timpry

Post by timpry »

Well replacing the existing exhaust with OEM will run me 1600$ plus shipping... so the Toucan is looking better and better.. I have emailed to verify pricing and will be sending them photos and measurements to allow them to fabricate my pipes later this month.
Tim Pry
timpry

Post by timpry »

Well.. it appears I wont be doing this replacement after all.. I removed my muffler and took it to a friend who welds.. my crack in the muffler was corrected without much trouble.. and he cut off the rusted tail pipe... and welded a new one in its place.. and added about 7 inches to it as well.. amazing how much quieter the plane is now.
Tim Pry