SB documentation required

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

roger lee

SB documentation required

Post by roger lee »

Did you know you are required to keep all SLSA SB type documents logged in your SLSA logbook or documented? Did you know in order to sell an SLSA it is required to transfer those documents at the time of sale?As a buyer you should make sure the documentation is in the paperwork supplied by the seller. (ELSA not affected or included)

For example:
If you own a 2006 CTSW you would be required to put in the book all the SB's that apply to the CTSW. (Make a list in the back is the easiest way) You would need to show you have complied with the ones that do affect you and still list the ones that don't if you are exempt by a serial number and just say more or less it doesn't apply due to the serial #.

Before anyone here has the chance to hop up and down about this here is
FAR 91.417. Pay special attention to section V and B-2.

http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part91-417-FAR.shtml

This was also confirmed with a phone conversation with the head of the LSA division of the FAA.
This has been in affect since April 2010 when all the other major changes took place for the LSA group.

Don't get too frazzled about this it only takes about 15-20 min. to make sure you have things listed and it's something you should have been doing all along.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Re: SB documentation required

Post by drseti »

roger lee wrote:Did you know you are required to keep all SLSA SB type documents logged in your SLSA logbook or documented?
Roger makes a very important point. I know from my frequent Wings safety seminars that most LSA owners don't know about this (and many FBOs, who should know better, don't comply). This is one of the topics I'll be covering in my safety seminar at Expo next week. See http://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_de ... ?eid=42096 for details.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

I'm getting hung up on the word 'applicable'. Does this mean I need to log all SB's that pertain to my specific aircraft or all SB's (and note whether they were required) for my aircraft type?

For instance, there is an old SB for the Sting for a Nose Gear Strut Replacement that does not apply to my specific aircraft. Do I log this and say it does not apply based on the stated SB criteria?
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

dstclair wrote:there is an old SB for the Sting for a Nose Gear Strut Replacement that does not apply to my specific aircraft. Do I log this and say it does not apply based on the stated SB criteria?
Yes, that's the way I interpret the rule, Dave. I made up a spreadsheet for my plane that lists every SportStar SB (and another one for the engine, that lists every Rotax 912ULS SB). Then, for every one, I can enter either complied with (along with date, Hobbs, details, by whom, etc.), pending compliance, does not apply by SN, does not apply by date, does not apply by inspection, etc. I also use a color code so I can see at a glance what's applicable, complied with, or coming due. You can see examples online at http://avsport.org/spreadsheets/SB_record_aircraft.pdf and http://avsport.org/spreadsheets/SB_record_engine.pdf.

A first-rate shop will develop spreadsheets like these for every customer aircraft. Of course, it takes time to research the SBs and set this up, which is why most shops have a setup fee for new customers. But, if done early in a plane's lifetime, records like this can save the customer a lot of money downstream.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

Document those SB's

Post by roger lee »

Hi Dave,

Any SB that was issued for the Sting should be addressed. It doesn't have to be long or wordy and can be done by the owner. Turn to one of the last pages in your aircraft logbook and make a list. Then next to it say if it was completed and the date or put next to it does not apply with something like due to serial #. This really is pretty easy. This was never addressed a few years back and only became a rule in April 2010. Most never read the rule change so they don't know about it.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

I'm assuming that by SB you mean Service Bulletin? I just want to make sure I'm on the right page here.
Brian Garrett
[email protected]
roger lee

SB

Post by roger lee »

Hi Brian,

Yes SB means service bulletin. Some LSA Mfg's are mixing SB, SA,SD and making it a little confusing for the end user. If it is just an info alert it is't something to log, but if any of these has something to be done then log it to be safe.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)