Tecnam P92 Eaglet Lycoming

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

jnmeade

Tecnam P92 Eaglet Lycoming

Post by jnmeade »

Tecnam announced they will sell the P92 Eaglet with a Lycoming engine. Nothing on their web site yet.
Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
ATP CFI-I/ME/G LSRM-A
garbageman

Post by garbageman »

Lots of stuff out there. Check with tecnam.net and tecnam.com. Also Dan Johnson discussed the aircraft on his blog.
David
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Dan Johnson had a small blurb, but no one has any specs. The other two site don't even mention the Lycoming Eaglet.

I'd like to see some weight figures and any other data that differs from the Rotax. I'd especially like to know if this is a certificated engine or an experimental engine so the LSMR could work on it.
Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
ATP CFI-I/ME/G LSRM-A
drseti

Post by drseti »

jnmeade wrote: I'd especially like to know if this is a certificated engine or an experimental engine so the LSMR could work on it.
It is my understanding that an LSRM-A can inspect, work on, and return to service even a certified engine, so long as it is installed in an S-LSA or E-LSA which has a "special" (pink), and not a "standard" (white) airworthiness certificate.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
garbageman

Post by garbageman »

jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Thank you. I missed that. I'll be waiting for more info as it comes out.
Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
ATP CFI-I/ME/G LSRM-A
drseti

Post by drseti »

Looks like it could be a winner! But, don't you just hate press releases that start "Tecnam today announced" and don't have a date anywhere on them?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

drseti wrote:It is my understanding that an LSRM-A can inspect, work on, and return to service even a certified engine, so long as it is installed in an S-LSA or E-LSA which has a "special" (pink), and not a "standard" (white) airworthiness certificate.
Thank you. I need to learn more about these privileges. The ability to legally do my own maintenance trumps nearly every other concern.
Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
ATP CFI-I/ME/G LSRM-A
drseti

Post by drseti »

jnmeade wrote: I need to learn more about these privileges. The ability to legally do my own maintenance trumps nearly every other concern.
I agree, that is a powerful incentive to go with LSAs. Earning the LSRM-A can be accomplished in as little as three weeks, vs. 2 years for an A&P. And, though the courses aren't cheap, they provide real value for the bucks.

Remember that it is up to the manufacturer to determine what can be performed by whom. Even with an LSRM-A, you will need to have appropriate training and tools. So, if Tecnam says engine work can be done by an "appropriately rated mechanic with Lycoming training," your LSRM ticket will have to be accompanied by completion of a Lycoming factory course. (I took the Lyco course years ago, and have also more recently taken two of the Rotax courses -- training on the specific equipment you're going to maintain is always a good idea.)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Paul, could you provide us with a bit more detail on "...a "special" (pink), and not a "standard" (white) airworthiness certificate." I'm not familiar with that distinction for LSA's. Thanks!
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

drseti wrote:Remember that it is up to the manufacturer to determine what can be performed by whom. Even with an LSRM-A, you will need to have appropriate training and tools. So, if Tecnam says engine work can be done by an "appropriately rated mechanic with Lycoming training,"
It's certainly good for the lurkers to be reminded of this.

The discussion between ASTM and FAA in this area continues to develop and is one I'll watch with great interest. I think Rotax and the FAA, for example, have slightly different perspectives.

Each of us approaches this from one's own perspective, and FWIW, at my age and situation if I can afford the plane I want, I will not care about it's resale value. I figure it's sunk money. So I, as opposed to others, will have a very different view of resale value, warranty and so forth - a view that I don't need to justify or explain to others.

That means that I will want to be safe and I will want to be legal within the FAA's definition if there is any disagreement between the ASTM side and the FAA side. As you have surmised, I view this like I view paying taxes - I have to pay the minimum and am not bound to be over zealous just because others might think I should pay more. I'll do the maintenance that is required but will make my own decisions on maintenance that is suggested, recommended or even demanded but not legally required.
Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
ATP CFI-I/ME/G LSRM-A
drseti

Post by drseti »

Jack Tyler wrote:Paul, could you provide us with a bit more detail
With pleasure. Aircraft produced in accordance with FAR Part 23 can receive a Standard Airworthiness Certificate, which is printed on white paper. Aircraft that are not Part 23 compliant can receive a Special Airworthiness Certificate as Special LSA, Experimental LSA, Experimental Amateur Built, and several other categories. All of these are printed on pink paper. It's an oversimplification, but as a general rule, an AMT holding the LSRM-A rating can maintain, inspect, and return to service anything with a pink airworthiness certifiate, but not anything with a white.

BTW, as long as we're talking airworthiness certificates, take a close look at the fine print on the bottom. It says it's illegal to alter, reproduce, or duplicate it (which is why I don't post examples of the pink or white here, or on my website).
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
theoarno

Post by theoarno »

I am really glad to see some more of the YO-233 engines getting out there into service.
Theo
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Thanks, Paul. Very clear...
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drseti

Post by drseti »

theoarno wrote:I am really glad to see some more of the YO-233 engines getting out there into service.
Theo, it still remains to be seen whether Textron Lycoming can get all the required approvals, and get this engine into volume production. And, I'm waiting to see a final weight and price. But, I do wish them well.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US