Rotax launches new fuel injected "FADEC like" 912i

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

c162pilot

Rotax launches new fuel injected "FADEC like" 912i

Post by c162pilot »

Exciting new developments from Rotax...

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/BR ... ml#gallery
theoarno

Post by theoarno »

I saw that on Generalaviation.com. Cool!
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

Good video from AVWeb on the new 912iS

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/exclusi ... 305-1.html

Looks like there is a parade of planes already showing the new engine and the video states that 50 engines are already in production. Rotax claims a 20% improvement in fuel efficiency over the existing 912 and that this engine also supports E10.

So here is the $64,000 question? Do this development help bolster the LSA industry?
artp

Post by artp »

c162pilot wrote:So here is the $64,000 question? Do this development help bolster the LSA industry?
Without the ability to fly IMC most people don't buy the 912S the more expensive injected version probably has no more appeal. However in the certified market it might have some more application.
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

If I win the lottery, I'll buy one in a heart beat. I want to go fast at 10,000 feet or 2,000 AGL. Faster than the carburated version will go. Better performance at high altitude airports.
Sure, most will probably not find it worth the extra money, but I absolutely would buy one if I had the money.
artp

Post by artp »

jnmeade wrote:If I win the lottery, I'll buy one in a heart beat. I want to go fast at 10,000 feet or 2,000 AGL. Faster than the carburated version will go. Better performance at high altitude airports.
Sure, most will probably not find it worth the extra money, but I absolutely would buy one if I had the money.
Unless it is turbo normalized, which I don't think it is, your altitude performance is unlikely to be any better. Normally asperated Lycoming and Continental injected engines don't do better at higher altitudes than their carburated versions.
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Actually, you are right. I got too enthusiastic. I'd get the turbo version - the 914. My face is red.
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

Actually, if the ECU (Engine Control Unit) does it job properly it may lean the engine for more power at 10,000 feet better than the average pilot may be able to do in a carbureted Lycoming or Continental using a single EGT probe. I do not know how good the previous Rotax 912 Bing Carburetors are at adjusting mixture for altitude. Result may be slightly more power or at least better fuel economy.