Useful Load--high wing v. low wing

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

saintlfd

Useful Load--high wing v. low wing

Post by saintlfd »

I have found a few high-wing S/ELSA with useful loads of 600 pounds or more, but nary a low-wing. Does a low-wing require more structure and, thus, more weight in the design?
DAVE
artp

Re: Useful Load--high wing v. low wing

Post by artp »

From what I have observed most of the low wings are aluminum while the high wings are composit.
drseti

Post by drseti »

There are exceptions, of course. The new Bristell is a metal low-wing that claims 600 lb useful load. (I flew it at Expo, and it handles like a dream.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

I know of a few examples, although of course it may be debated how realistic numbers are.
- Evektor SportStar MAX promises 640 lbs useful load in a stripper model. With sensible equipment it falls to 573 or so.
- Alto ekes out 610 by the book
- Dova Skylark DV-1 was specced to 643

But indeed generally you need a carbon-plasic airplane to push 600 lbs useful comfortably.
saintlfd

Dova Skylark--600 lb useful load low-wing

Post by saintlfd »

I first heard of the Skylark 3 or 4 years ago but there has been no p.r. about it for a long time now. Anyone know what's going on with it?
DAVE
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

Craig is kicking still, the current ad at the SkyView website says:
2006 Dova Skylark LSA - Light Sport
790 TT, 790 SNEW
This 2007 factory demo needs a new home so we can make room for the 2011 factory demo.
$89,900
The specs page says 670 lbs useful load (no kidding). It was crazy back then, it's still crazy how light that thing is.