Zodiac 601XL as ELSA?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Post by drseti »

dstclair wrote:Jack - that's what I thought and have read as well.
I'll have to do some digging, but Jack may well be correct.
So, looks like you can add a Garmin 430w for around $10K and cut an E-LSA size hole in some clouds.

The 430W I had came to more like $14k with antennas, roll steering adapter, and all, but that was a few years ago (they're probably cheaper now). You might need to poke a few more holes (such as for heated pitot and alternate static source), but as long as the engine and airframe manufacturers don't specifically prohibit IFR, that seems to be the case. (If you're still talking Zodiac, that O-200 will be IFR legal. Make sure you use an appropriate prop as well.)

Don't forget that you'll still need a PPL with a current medical, an instrument rating, current IPC, and the plane will need the required transponder/altimeter/encoder check and VOR receiver checks.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US