Cessna 162 SkyCatcher experiences

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

c162pilot

Cessna 162 SkyCatcher experiences

Post by c162pilot »

Since I am getting checked out in a C162 I thought I would ask if others have any experience with the SkyCatcher that they can share.

Below is a copy from a previous post that was not on this topic.

"In 2007 for reasons I am now not sure of, I plopped down $5,000 as a deposit on a C162. My delivery slot is in mid-2013. My local FBO has had a C162 on leaseback almost a year ago now (serial #5) but has only allowed it to be used for training, no solo rental. However this policy has been changed and I am now getting checked out in the C162. Since I have almost 2 more years to wait for mine, I am not sure what is going to happen when it is finally avaiable. Do I like the plane? Yes. Is it the best LSA? not sure. What else I have I flown? Remos GX, Evektor SportStar and the Jabiru powered Thorpedo. Key differences between the C162 and the others are the Continental O200 and the Garmin G300. Visability is excellent as is the cabin width. Interior is spartan to say the least, most of the control cables are visible as is the the fuel level. Seats are fixed but comfortable and rudder pedals adjustable. The C162 flys more like a C172 i.e. the controls forces are heavier than on other LSA's that I have flown, but lands like a LSA. Useful load is limited but the baggage compartment is bigger than anything I have seen. Taxiing with differential breaking is somewhat of a pain but then it does have toe breaks. I have not flown the C162 in windy or gusty conditions yet, but the wing loading is higher than the old C152. Seems like all the C162 owners that I have spoken with have had a tail strike on landing (including an instructor with 14,000 hours) as have I but only once. The G300 PFD / MFD combination is clearly superior to the Dynon 100 series but I am not in a position to comment on G300 vs Dynon Skyview. IMHO if you want a high wing then it will be a 3 horse race between Cessna, Flight Design and Remos. Looks like Cessna have been able to hold the price at a reasonable level as the base price includes the G300 MFD, SL40 and GTX transponder, options bring the price up to about $125K. Cessna tells me they are on target to deliver 150 planes this year bringing the total up to about 200, plans for 2012 are to deliver about 350 aircraft. I suspect we will start to see more and more C162's at FBO's around the country."
zdc

Post by zdc »

Four years is a lot of time to think it over. Ever read a flight review of an acft in an aviation publication that gave the airplane bad marks? There is no way to make a judgement about an airplane from the info available. . The interior of the C162 is sparce [metal, painted black] to save weight. But that actually may be a plus. Take a plane with a nice interior, leather seats, upholstered door panels etc.. and put it in a flight school. After a year it looks like hell. C162, just touch up the paint. For those of us that were taught never to trust a fuel gauge, that sight bubble for fuel quantity is also a plus. If the C162 is as durable , rugged and servicable as the C150, it will become the dominant trainer. There is strenght in numbers. If Cessna has orders for over 1,000 of these acft, that is comforting for owners.
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

Does anyone think cessna or someone will eventually sell an interior "upgrade" kit at some point? A few pounds of interior finishing would go a long way to make it more appealing to me.

Jake
zdc

Post by zdc »

jake wrote:Does anyone think cessna or someone will eventually sell an interior "upgrade" kit at some point? A few pounds of interior finishing would go a long way to make it more appealing to me.

Jake
I own an airplane, and I've had the interior redone twice, and this is what I've concluded. The only time the appearance of the interior is important is on the ground when you have the doors open and you want other people to see your pride and joy. When flying, you don't even notice the interior. What's important is what does your rear end and back feel like after a flight.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Jake, you'll find a number of vendors who can offer you anything you want - from Classic Aero, Oregon Aero and other major names to smaller shops that do the same high level of work.

As an example, take a look at Tony's interior - which is the 'standard' interior offered by Vans for the RV-12:

http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12P ... 8827_Fmnev
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Jack Tyler wrote:Jake, you'll find a number of vendors who can offer you anything you want - from Classic Aero, Oregon Aero and other major names to smaller shops that do the same high level of work.

As an example, take a look at Tony's interior - which is the 'standard' interior offered by Vans for the RV-12:

http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12P ... 8827_Fmnev
This is probably a stupid question, but can an owner substantially modify an S-LSA's interior without permission from the manufacturer? It seems like it might change the W/B and so could be a no-no.

Ron
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

My understanding is that a S-LSA mfgr. must authorize any/all airframe, equipment and engine mods intended for their S-LSA a/c. (I don't think this is typically interpreted to mean something portable like a fire extinguisher or suction cup-mounted GPS). What I don't know - and would welcome informed comment on - is just how all-encompassing this restriction is defined to be by individual S-LSA manufacturers. Does this include a replacement seat cover, e.g.? Or just a replacement seat?

My take: Here we have one of the seemingly insignificant but, over time, confounding issues for an S-LSA. Imagine wanting to upgrade an interior. A dance begins between the mfgr. (who will want specifics on what is to be added before a determination can be made, and who will require time and so expense to do the evaluation leading to approval - or not), the vendor (who's being asked to provide detail before an order is placed, hoping the mfgr. will approve the order) and the owner (who must wait until his/her small-potatoes request to the mfgr. receives their attention (which may never come since there's little profit to be made from such work).

Or imagine needing to change out the seat covers in one of the many foreign-built S-LSA's. The mfgr. will no doubt want to make the sale (most likely in Euros, with air freight & customs/import duty charges added) and so would be unwilling to consider an alternative, locally supplied cover.

We don't hear about these kinds of details now, but it's logical to assume that day will eventually come.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drseti

Post by drseti »

rsteele wrote:can an owner substantially modify an S-LSA's interior without permission from the manufacturer?
Absolutely not, without a written and signed Letter of Authorization from the manufacturer. In fact, you can't even insubstantially modify anything in an S-LSA without an LOA. Even if there is no weight and balance change, any modification must be approved by the manufacturer.

This is not to say that Cessna won't approve an interior mod -- they probably will strike a deal with some provider, if not provide a plush interior kit themselves. Just don't assume that you can take an LSA to your local airport upholstery shop and get a nice leather interior. You'll need to submit the engineering details to the manufacturer, and hope they will take the risk (and assume the potential liability) associated with issuing an LOA.

I've been lucky in this regard. I have three signed LOAs from Evektor for my SportStar, for changes in brakes, avionics, and choke cables. They've been very responsive. But, in each case, the paperwork had to precede the modification.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

More weight

Post by roger lee »

Paul and others are right. An LOA would be needed, not to mention the extra 30-40 lbs of weight you'll add to the plane and lose even more of the low useful load. Most anything that is changed on the plane needs an LOA.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)