"Pleasing" LSA's (Thanks to Jack Tyler)

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

saintlfd

"Pleasing" LSA's (Thanks to Jack Tyler)

Post by saintlfd »

Here's section of one of Jack's recent postings:

"... We seem to gravitate to 'numbers' in these discussions and weigh one a/c vs. another using 'specification myopia'. If my experience is a fair indication, once you are an owner you tend to focus on the 'cost vs. pleasure' equation and much of the 'pleasure' side of the equation has to do with whether the a/c allows you to do what you enjoy and does it pleasingly.

... those LSA's that offer more control harmony, handle turbulence relatively better, and are more stable during cross wind landings are going to be significantly more enjoyable to fly - during every minute of flight, on every mission."

I know that higher wing loading is helpful in handling turbulence better. I believe an 'all moving' rudder is helpful with crosswind landings (so long as the entire tail is not so large as to amplify weather-vaning). Are these accurate points? Are there any physical hints indicating better control harmony?

I realize a trial flight will help answer these questions about a particular plane. I'm just trying to narrow down the field. Plus, arranging for a flight on a good crosswind day is not easy to do.

Looking forward to your comments.
DAVE
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

The Apollo that I fly I believe is rated up to 18 KTS (!!!) in a crosswind. It's a pretty fun plane.

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.