Aerotrek A220/240... thoughts?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

eidolon45

aircraft trailer

Post by eidolon45 »

Cool! this was the type trailer I was thinking of. I may have seen something like this, but probably assumed it was custom made. Note that it only has one axle (probably a 3500#) despite its extra length. enclosure might be a little low for a LSA, but they may come taller. To answer your question, I don't think a lighter trailer would subject the plane to excessive vibration - given the plane has shock absorbing landing gear and assuming you have springs on the trailer axle. Actually, a heavier trailer too lightly loaded might be worse. Ever ride in a heavy truck with no load in it? Not a pleasant ride!
Tecnam Flyer
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

eidolon:

I think your hunch is spot-on. I lack first-hand experience with this...but I think the trailers I've described fit a corollary to Parkinson's Law ("Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.") There is this BIG trailer (which has to be long enough to encapsulate the a/c fuse, tailwheel to prop), and everything else is sized by the mfgr. to somewhat generic loads of that size. Also imagine the a/c builder & owner: He has this BIG space, only a portion of which is occupied by the plane, so how can he use it?! We Americans truly revel in owning 'stuff', so imagine what you see inside one of these trailers: kitchen cabinets reinstalled to hold all the fasteners, tools and such; lights (and a breaker box) to make it a maintenance hanger at night; racks to hold the wings (if they don't fold but rather are removable, like a sailplane has); rigging to make the 'launching' and retrieval of the a/c easy...and I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface.

So...bottom line: these trailers may be the way they are because of how folks fill them up, not based one what they - minimally - need to do when going from Point A to B.

Another way to look at this: Imagine Ham's notion of 'Have a/c, will travel', driving down country roads and, otherwise, using his trailer more for a hanger and way to hide the a/c from hail and the occasional T/S. He doesn't need massive structural strength; he needs "shelter".

However, here's my hunch: You look at the DOT requirements within your state and adjacent states and see what they say about trailers of a size sufficient to enclose an LSA...and I'm thinking they may have some axle and max gross wt. related requirements you'll have to address. (Just a guess; you'll know about this and I surely don't).

Ham:

Glad to hear you are giving SnF at least two days; you won't be - in the least - sorry for doing so. But follow Desert Rules: good footgear, lots of water in the pack, some energy snacks, and good sun hats & glasses. If the sun's out, it will be physically taxing (tho' oh-so energizing, at the same time!).

Also glad you might try to drop by and check in with Dev. Just found out his Main Squeeze is going to get her intro to aviation via SnF and being with him while he's exhibiting on the ramp. What an exciting experience for someone new to aviation.

One last suggestion: If you can, try to borrow/steal/plead for an aviation h/h radio for at least one of your days. Right after you arrive, which will be while the planes flying in our staggered w-a-y out many miles past the Orange Ball to the NE of LAL, turn it on to tower freq (124.5) and just stand in a spot where you can watch the runway and LISTEN. What a hoot! I'm betting never before have you heard FAA Controllers land multiple a/c at the very same time on the very same runway, while directing parallel a/c to land on the taxiway for that runway simultaneously. I mean...WHAT A HOOT! (The only thing that beats it is doing it, of course...). And as you would suspect, there is the occasional poor soul who just doesn't understand, and so the controller has to coach the odd duck, while concurrently managing an inflow of singles and twins, tube-and-fabric a/c ahead/behind the slickest of the plastic jobs, and no one wanting to bend a wing, pilot and controller alike. It is truly a Performance Art that you are witnessing...so don't miss it, please.

Jack
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Silver Fox

Thoughts on the Aero Trek

Post by Silver Fox »

HI Ham; I have owned an 06' Euro Fox (which was the original model designation that Rob Rollinson's Co. was importing, now known as the Aero Trek A240) with Tri-Cycle gear and the 100hp 912 Rotax, since Nov 09'. Although I did my Sport training in the low wing Sport Star, I really wanted a high wing LSA and like you, after doing some extensive on-line research, decided that this aircraft would provide the best value, flight characteristics, and durability of the ones that were then available. I have thoroughly enjoyed flying this aircraft and the description that Ron mentions on the website proved to be very accurate. I was fortunate to find a previously owned one (which Ron happened to be familiar with), that was meticulously maintained by a gentleman in Oregon. My wife and I drove up in out Motor Home and towed it back to San Jose Ca on the flat bed trailer that it came with. As Ron mentions, you don't have to spend 100K+ to acquire a quality factory built LSA, with the typical electronics etc! I would highly recommend this LSA!
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Thanks for the info!

I'm really looking to seeing the Aerotrek display at Sun n Fun next week.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

After a fun visit to Sun n Fun, we're definitely sold on Aerotrek! I think it will be a great trainer, has tons of character, the company support seems superb, the wing folding and trailering is a fantastic feature, and the price is certainly right. And I love the classic blue and yellow US Army training paint scheme!

Now to decide where to set up the Sport Pilot school... perhaps Florida is not such a great plan after Thursday's tornado!

My first student!
eidolon45

Aerotrek

Post by eidolon45 »

Thanks for the PIREP. I will add that one to my list of planes to check out. Did you get to fly anything? I didn't get to make it down there for this one. BTW, that kind of weather is a bit unusual for that part of FL. Maybe on the interior, but usually not near the coast.

There are several small LS schools scattered around FL, but we can always use another! I plan to retire down in that area as soon as I can. Would like to have a plane shortly thereafter since I have kids & relatives as well as other property to visit all over the US.
Tecnam Flyer
eidolon45

Aerotrek

Post by eidolon45 »

Thanks for the PIREP. I will add that one to my list of planes to check out. Did you get to fly anything? I didn't get to make it down there for this one. BTW, that kind of weather is a bit unusual for that part of FL. Maybe on the interior, but usually not near the coast.

There are several small LS schools scattered around FL, but we can always use another! I plan to retire down in that area as soon as I can. Would like to have a plane shortly thereafter since I have kids & relatives as well as other property to visit all over the US.
Tecnam Flyer
eidolon45

double posts

Post by eidolon45 »

Sorry about the double posts. Sometimes I forget I am using my MAC and it gives me a popup message I click on without thinking.
Tecnam Flyer
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Ham, were you able to fly the AeroTrek? Tail or Tri? How about a bit of a Pirep if you did.

And did you do the wing folding exercise and have a view on the front wing root attachment point and how airtight the 'top hat' (which is removed before the wings can be folded) would be?

Glad your visit wasn't too badly interrupted by the weather. Dev said his Boonie hat wasn't enough to avoid sunburn...which is to be preferred over watching the tent over one's head being blown into the next county.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
comperini

Post by comperini »

Jack Tyler wrote: And did you do the wing folding exercise and have a view on the front wing root attachment point and how airtight the 'top hat' (which is removed before the wings can be folded) would be?
I suspect it hasn't changed since 2007 (my model year)... the turtledeck is airtight. There's a small opening where the flaperon control exits the plane, but its not big enough to generate any wind, or noise as far as I can tell. There is a hinge in the middle of the turtledeck, where it folds in half. I suspect that would not be too water tight.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Jack - I didn't get a chance to fly, but then again I didn't ask to. I also couldn't find your offspring!

Weather on the first day of Sun n Fun was fantastic. We also came away with sunburned noses and foreheads!
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

For those with the tri-gear A240...

Any problems with the nose gear? On observation, the engineering looks weak, especially when compared to the main gear.
comperini

Post by comperini »

No problems whatsoever. No shimmy, and good suspension. I fly from a dirt/gravel runway.

Of course, I've never attempted a carrier landing, or purposely allowing a hard nose-wheel bounce, so I couldn't tell you where it would break, but for normal operations, it's fine. I don't think any SLSA is built like a Stinson, or designed for "aircraft carrier" style landings. I doubt any of them will tolerate being dropped in from 10 feet. (Remos nosewheel collapse, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jOKpvthn7A)

Here's a photo of the nosewheel assy:

Last edited by comperini on Wed May 04, 2011 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Bob
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

That's great, Bob.

Thanks for the info and the photo!
comperini

Post by comperini »

Welcome!

I just "edited" my post above, to include a video link to another SLSA that experienced a nosewheel collapse after a nasty bounce
- Bob