Aerotrek A220/240... thoughts?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Post by drseti »

Jack Tyler wrote:I think we already corrected this in another thread, but Paul's answer needs to be amended in one area:
Jack, you're right. What I meant to say is:
If you buy an S-LSA and choose to keep it registered as an S-LSA, the only way you can legally add anything is with a Letter of Authorization...
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jbradsh1

Post by jbradsh1 »

drseti wrote:
Jack Tyler wrote:I think we already corrected this in another thread, but Paul's answer needs to be amended in one area:
Jack, you're right. What I meant to say is:
If you buy an S-LSA and choose to keep it registered as an S-LSA, the only way you can legally add anything is with a Letter of Authorization...
I think that Rollison Aviation in Indiana either does the final assembly on the Aerotrek or builds it completely ... and probably got it certified as an SLSA. Now that I have my thinking cap on I'll bet they can install an AP when ordering the plane new from them.

Thanks again for your reply(s).
Soon to be a Pilot!
drseti

Post by drseti »

jbradsh1 wrote:I'll bet they can install an AP when ordering the plane new from them.
Yes, I'd bet they can, and will. One of the advantages of ordering a plane factory-new is that you can usually specify exactly the equipment you want in it. And, the manufacturer is strongly motivated to accommodate you, with mods and LOAs (especially if you are willing to tell them that, without those accommodations, the deal is off).

I had a similar discussion at Sebring last week, with one of the S-LSA manufacturers. They essentially told me that, for a 20% deposit, they'd spec out the plane equipped pretty much any way the customer wanted it (within reason and LSA limitations). Of course, this buys you only a position in the production run, so you may end up waiting a few months to take delivery on your plane. In airplanes, as in cars, buying something that's already in the dealer's showroom is always quicker, and cheaper - but, you have to settle for whatever color is available, and whatever equipment is already installed.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jbradsh1

Post by jbradsh1 »

drseti wrote:
jbradsh1 wrote:I'll bet they can install an AP when ordering the plane new from them.
Yes, I'd bet they can, and will. One of the advantages of ordering a plane factory-new is that you can usually specify exactly the equipment you want in it. And, the manufacturer is strongly motivated to accommodate you, with mods and LOAs (especially if you are willing to tell them that, without those accommodations, the deal is off).

I had a similar discussion at Sebring last week, with one of the S-LSA manufacturers. They essentially told me that, for a 20% deposit, they'd spec out the plane equipped pretty much any way the customer wanted it (within reason and LSA limitations). Of course, this buys you only a position in the production run, so you may end up waiting a few months to take delivery on your plane. In airplanes, as in cars, buying something that's already in the dealer's showroom is always quicker, and cheaper - but, you have to settle for whatever color is available, and whatever equipment is already installed.
Good point! Thanks.
Soon to be a Pilot!
comperini

Post by comperini »

jbradsh1 wrote:I think that Rollison Aviation in Indiana either does the final assembly on the Aerotrek or builds it completely
The plane is made by Aeropro, in the Czech Republic. Shipped here, where the wings are put on, and a few little odds and ends like that. They are not completely built here in the USA.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
Hambone

Re: Aerotrek A220/240... thoughts?

Post by Hambone »

To revisit an old thread...

Any recent Aerotrek experience? Comments appreciated.

In particular, anyone trailering one of these air machines?

Thanks!
drseti

Post by drseti »

As it happens, I just did an annual condition inspextion on an A220 last week. The checklist calls for draining the wing tanks and folding the wings. My customer declined to do this, and says he never folds the wings, since it's a two-person job and isn't as easy as AeroPro claims. If that is true (and especially if you have to drain fuel), then trailering wouldn't seem all that practical. This particular owner is a CFI who's had the plane for 2 years.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
comperini

Post by comperini »

I own one and yes it is easy. Doesn't need to be a two person job unless you don't know what you are doing. I admit that it's much easier when you don't have lots of heavy fuel in the tanks.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Thanks for the replies!

I asked for my Icon deposit back after the first massive cost hike. I anticipate more cost rises if and when production actually begins. And you're right... I don't think it will be a good trainer.

The Aerotrek, on the other hand, seems rugged, simple, and relatively inexpensive. I'll have to try out the wing folding myself.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

I suggest you add BFR, LSA Transition Training and Currency Training to your list of mobile services. Currency training would be targeted at certificated pilots that have been out of flying for awhile that may want to begin flying again and, I know, all one needs is a BFR but most of us would need more than the 1+1 hrs if we haven't flown in years.

I am actually considering getting my CFI-S one of these years and offering these services -- in someone else's plane. I see a lack of expertise in LSA in my area and think this is nice niche to fill. I've flown with 5 CFIs since upgrading to LSA and only one of them really knew SP and LSA.
dave
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

CTLSi wrote:You could always get an ICON...electric folding wings, made to be trailered. But they are over $150k and not good as a trainer as they have a tiny landing gear under the boat hull.
$189,000! I expect the cost to increase again before deliveries begin. IMO, they're in the process of pricing themselves right out of the market.
dstclair wrote:I suggest you add BFR, LSA Transition Training and Currency Training to your list of mobile services.
Thanks.

Good points to consider.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Ham, you might find it interesting to hear that, at the 2013 Sun 'n Fun, I was working a booth nearby the Aerotrek importer/dealer and I had reason to interview him about several aviation related issues that his kind of aircraft shared with our RAF's basic mission. I worked that show all week and, as our crowds would thin, I'd keep going back to his exhibit area to catch him for a chat. Never succeeded; he was the proverbial one-armed paper hang with lots of traffic. Had some great talks with Aerotrek owners who had shown up to help him work the show, heard many compliments (as owners are always willing to bestow on their own a/c choices) about the 220/240 models, but always found the exhibit a busy place and the dealer swamped. (One Canadian woman I spoke with at length had been doing part-time aerial photography work in her 182 for over 20 years, which meant she and her husband had an a/c they also used to get them into some backcountry airstrips well north of her Toronto area location to go camping and fishing. She couldn't wait to begin doing the same air camping trips in her new 240, which was pretty amazing to contemplate when you think about the MTOW of her little 240 (less than the max 1320 allowed for LSA's) vs. the load hauling abilities of her 182).

But to my point: The plane seems to get a great deal of attention - I saw the same traffic loading for them at S'nF 2014, altho' our area was some distance away and so I didn't visit there as often - and it's certainly price competitive. But it also left me with the impression the importer/retailer/chief cook and bottle washer could be stretched pretty thin and, were I considering it for purchase, I'd probably spend some time talking with experienced owners to see what support issues might exist (what's the in-stock inventory of parts like, how responsive is he for LOA's, how responsive re: calls for info). Also FWIW I spent a day in 2011 outside Brisbane in Oz at an aerodrome where a group of EuroFox owners kept their plane. Same plane. They loved its local flying qualities (again, how many pilots complain about the a/c choice they made?) but I can't say it looked terribly robust. If thinking of using it for training, I'd also pump longer term owners for info on how they've used their Aerotreks vs. how they hold up. E.g. that Canadian gal would be a good example since she wasn't exclusively planning paved strips at public airports.

Just some food for thought...
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Thanks, Jack, for the useful and informative post.

I'll certainly do lots more research before I part with my hard-earned cash!
dwayne

Post by dwayne »

I can tell you from my limited experience with Rob Rollison that the "one-armed paper hanger" is an understatement. He is a very very intense individual that can get on a persons nerves pretty easily, but seems to take good care of his customers.
After receiving the planes from the manufacturer in a shipping container, he does the avionics installations and tends to all other details. He then test flies the plane to be sure it's airworthy and then flies with the new owner to get them acquainted with its "kite-like" characteristics (it's a very light airplane).
I'm not sure about now, but he used to operate out of a rather small hangar adjacent to a little grass strip in Indiana and seemed to be the poster child for a "low overhead" operation.
I think he only gets a new plane about every six months, but he seems to be constantly busy taking care of his customers.

Just my opinion from limited experience.