Sebring Light Sport Expo

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

ArionAv8or

Sebring Light Sport Expo

Post by ArionAv8or »

The Light Sport Expo in Sebring is just around the corner.

The dates are slated for January 20-23 2011 and I have included the link to their website. I will be there and was interested to see how many other board members plan on attending.

http://www.sport-aviation-expo.com/
frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

Plan to attend have made it an annual event.warm weather plenty of planes what more could you want.
Pawlander

Post by Pawlander »

I'm planning on it.
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

I'm sure gonna try, I want to see all of the lsa's even the ct's :oops:
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

I am hoping to make it. If I can I hope to fly down in our Remos. I would love to demo as many different planes as possible, even the CTLS. That is a great looking plane you have Pawlander!

For the record I am part owner of the Remos with Sailboss and only have experience flying the Remos and the CZAW Sport Cruiser. I would love to try a FDCT.

Gene
Gene Mohr
Sport Pilot Upgrading to Private
180hrs and counting
Pawlander

Post by Pawlander »

gmohr wrote:I am hoping to make it. If I can I hope to fly down in our Remos. I would love to demo as many different planes as possible, even the CTLS. That is a great looking plane you have Pawlander!

For the record I am part owner of the Remos with Sailboss and only have experience flying the Remos and the CZAW Sport Cruiser. I would love to try a FDCT.

Gene
Thanks for the nice words about the plane! Nearly two years in, I couldn't be more pleased with it.

For those planning on going to the Light Sport Expo in Sebring, I highly recommend it as a great way to learn about what is out there in the LSA world. But about those demo flights...

I first went to the Sebring show 2 years ago and took a demo ride in the Remos (the day before the unsecured-wing crash). That was the first LSA I'd ever flown in, and I was really pumped. The demo flight, however, was very unnerving -- not because of the Remos, which I liked -- but due to the number of planes in the air. Must've been 20 or more in close proximity over the lake. I was so busy looking for traffic that I really didn't get to enjoy the flight or learn much about the plane. I didn't take any more demo rides at Sebring.

It was about a month later that I took a CTLS demo ride and ended up buying one.
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Pawlander wrote:
gmohr wrote:I am hoping to make it. If I can I hope to fly down in our Remos. I would love to demo as many different planes as possible, even the CTLS. That is a great looking plane you have Pawlander!

Gene
Thanks for the nice words about the plane! Nearly two years in, I couldn't be more pleased with it.

For those planning on going to the Light Sport Expo in Sebring, I highly recommend it as a great way to learn about what is out there in the LSA world. But about those demo flights...

I first went to the Sebring show 2 years ago and took a demo ride in the Remos (the day before the unsecured-wing crash). That was the first LSA I'd ever flown in, and I was really pumped. The demo flight, however, was very unnerving -- not because of the Remos, which I liked -- but due to the number of planes in the air. Must've been 20 or more in close proximity over the lake. I was so busy looking for traffic that I really didn't get to enjoy the flight or learn much about the plane. I didn't take any more demo rides at Sebring.

It was about a month later that I took a CTLS demo ride and ended up buying one.
You are exactly right and last year was not only busy but windy as well. I went to Sebring on Saturday and met an owner who was all too willing to meet me on Sunday, at my home field since it is close, and give me a demo ride where I could actually get a feel for the aircraft. Makes a huge difference when you aren't every which way for traffic.
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

Phil,

What sold you on your Lightning? Got to admit it is one sexy looking
aircraft.

Gene
Gene Mohr
Sport Pilot Upgrading to Private
180hrs and counting
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

gmohr wrote:Phil,

What sold you on your Lightning? Got to admit it is one sexy looking
aircraft.

Gene
The fact that it's one sexy looking aircraft.

When I looked into buying a new LSA I looked at everything out there. There are some wonderful aircraft being built and none are perfect in my opinion. Each aircraft has it's pros and cons so I chose the one that fit the bill best for me. My wife has no interest or desire to fly so the majority of my time is solo so useful load was not the deciding factor. Although the high wings serve their purpose I personally love the lows, they are just a sexy machine. The Lightning will cruise at 120 knots all day long at 2850 RPMs and the engine is rated for 3300 RPMs. The EABs actually turn 145 knots with the same engine and airframe, they just get a different prop. The Lightning only uses 5.5 GPH and I have the 30 gal tanks so long X-countries are no problem. The aircraft is push rod technology so when you want her to move she moves quickly and smoothly. She has a 17:1 glide ratio and a 39 knot stall with full flaps. I also love the composite aircraft as opposed to the metal, the smooth finish and sexy lines just can't be beat, IMHO. The CT and the Jabirus are great planes, they just don't have the looks my Lightning does, IMHO. The PiperSport was also a very nice plane, just too slow and a metal aircraft. We all have to get what makes us happy and for me it was a fast, sexy, low wing piece of modern machinery.